Move Luke Joeckel to LT

Foghawk

Reaction score
kf3339":27f5zlfg said:
Branden Albert is still out there right now. It's past the first game so contracts for vets are not guaranteed. If I was JS and PC a call to his agent would happen. But it won't happen. That would make too much sense.

Does he fit our blocking scheme. :D

kf3339

Reaction score
Foghawk":16dzlqgh said:
kf3339":16dzlqgh said:
Branden Albert is still out there right now. It's past the first game so contracts for vets are not guaranteed. If I was JS and PC a call to his agent would happen. But it won't happen. That would make too much sense.

Does he fit our blocking scheme. :D

I depends; what blocking scheme? From what I saw the scheme was to get bulldozed, or just wave the DL by to hit RW or chase him around the field. How could Albert be any worse? :lol:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Something is wrong with Cable's coaching pass pro though. I mean I know that's not breaking news but look at the film of our 300 lb linemen all getting rag dolled! It's not easy to toss a 300 lb man like that if he knows how to balance. We have too many linemen having the same issue for this to be coincidence.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2b8vx0n2 said:
Something is wrong with Cable's coaching pass pro though. I mean I know that's not breaking news but look at the film of our 300 lb linemen all getting rag dolled! It's not easy to toss a 300 lb man like that if he knows how to balance. We have too many linemen having the same issue for this to be coincidence.

Well, it starts with the personnel. We are the only team that spends less than 10% of the salary cap on offensive linemen. That is not suddenly going to get better by firing Cable in the middle of the season -- the one coach on the offensive staff who gives a damn about running the football.

Rees Odhiambo was terrible last year, and now that the bullets are flying, he looks terrible this year too. None of our personnel acquisitions have made pass protection a priority: NONE. We have TEs who are receivers first and foremost. We have a fullback who is really just a running back in disguise. To a man, every linemen on this roster had issues in pass protection in college.

I don't think Rees Odhiambo is necessarily a Tom Cable guy either. He looked like Schenider's attempt to produce an Alvin Bailey clone to fill the swing role. He's not strong or explosive, unlike the typical Cable lineman (think: Carpenter, Okung, Sweezy, Britt, Glowinski, Ifedi, etc.)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
brimsalabim":20taodvb said:

The problem is his philosophy...he wants guys who dive to the ground and run to the second level without blocking first level. He wants athletic guys rather than anchor - who are are tanks and immovable objects - guys.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2p9xxp3i said:
Joeckel has years and years of experience playing LT. He started 37 games at left tackle for Texas A&M and won the Outland Trophy. I understand they think he is better as a guard; I just don't think we have that luxury right now. We need better play on Russell Wilson's blindside. Wilson needs to feel comfortable while making his reads. Joeckel is a physically stronger player than Rees Odhiambo, and he has better length too. Most importantly, he is a veteran who has already been through the trials and tribulations of starting in the NFL.

LT Luke Joeckel
LG Mark Glowinski
C Justin Britt
RG Germain Ifedi
RT Ethan Pocic

I don't know whether they would consider moving Ifedi back inside, where he looked more comfortable in pass protection. However, I think the biggest issue right now is addressing the left side of the offensive line, specifically LT. Joeckel is the only player who makes sense at that position.

The only thing I would say, and this is just a guess based on week 1 but I would leave Ifedi at RT given it's his true position and his numbers were a little better overall than the majority of what we saw from him last year.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
nanomoz":3sw3q6gf said:
ivotuk":3sw3q6gf said:
I don't understand the Joekel love. He failed at LT, so they moved him to LG, and then they cut him.

He wasn't cut. He just wasn't re-signed.

He actually had a decent year as a guard, which is probably why we decided to bring him in.
I'm expecting him to have a better game against San Fran. Daniels was insane week 1.