more lockette less walters

chris98251

Reaction score
Sounds like a Fantasy football argument, doesn't get enough yards to push stats up yet or is like Tate and gambles, which in Tates defense he won a lot of times.

I also think that Muff in Pre Season that got him cut and practiced squad is on his mind back there. Secure the ball first, run second. I also think the muff Earl had is why Walters is back in there at the moment. Turn the ball over and you get into Petes Doghouse, could be why Michaels isn't playing also, remember Turbin was demoted from Kick Off duty over the same thing.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
For me, this really comes down to putting your best players on the field. Baldwin is playing a lot more on the outside this year, but your best personnel is moving Baldwin and/or Harvin to the slot when we go 3 or 4 WR sets. Both Kearse and Lockette are at their best on the outside where as Baldwin and Harvin are at their best in the slot. It's not any more complicated than that unless someone needs a breather.

If we ever go with a true 5 WR set I'd love to see Richardson between Lockette and Harvin on the trips side and send them at angles on the outside....just to see what the safeties do regardless of outcome. I'd probably like the end result, however.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Vetamur":3uh19jcx said:
Walters has good hands and has his purpose. You put him out there with Lockette, Harvin, and ADB then his is going to either get the other teams #4 CB on him or will be working a cleared out zone... and I will take that when its a situation we need to have a safe catch.

Hes a poor mans Paul Skansi.

Nice. And Skansi was a poor man's Steve Largent. Skansi looked like Largent catching that game-winning last-play-of-the-game TD from Krieg, right after Derrick Thomas just missed NFL record 8th sack in a game. That was about the only time I can recall the "old" Hawks winning in KC.

I liked what I saw from Walters against Denver. And I feel very comfortable with him back there returning punts. He catches it reliably and gets positive yardage.

Anyone recall the KO return TD Walters scored against the Seahawks when he was with the Chargers? Nice article here:
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/stor ... o-chargers

Smellyman

Reaction score
Lockette does have 10 career receptions and Walters 7 (Lockette has played one more year)

this is a debate that needs to be made.

Uffda

Reaction score
Actually I'd like to see more Richardson and soon hopefully Norwood, and well Christine Michael someday.

byau

Reaction score
For some reason my recall was that Walters was dropping a lot of passes. And that Lockette was barely targeted. And that Baldwin hasn't been targeted as much as I thought he might.

Looked up in the gamebook, here are the numbers for the receivers

Gamebook link:
http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecente ... mebook.pdf

Harvin: 7 of 9, 42 yards, 6.0 avg
Baldwin: 4 of 5, 56 yards, 14 avg
Walters: 2 of 5, 22 yards, 11 avg
Kearse: 2 of 2, 22 yards, 11 avg
Miller: 2 of 2, 12 yards, 6 avg
Lockette: 1 of 1, 39 yards, 39 avg
Richardson: 1 of 1, 7 yards, 7 avg

A few curious things here about Walters
* only one who caught under 50% (2 of 5)
* targeted more times (5) than Kearse (2), Miller (2), Lockette (1)
* targeted same # as Baldwin (5)
* only Harvin was targeted more (7)

Is he really that good that he is being targeted? Or is it he is the only one open because the others are covered and maybe he's the 3rd read? Will have to watch the game again

His pass plays:
3rd quarter @ 1:48
3rd and 4: R.Wilson pass incomplete deep left to B.Walters,
(followed by missed Hauschka field goal)

4th quarter: @ 8:56
(1st drive, he was targeted three times in a row)
1st and 14 R.Wilson pass short right to B.Walters pushed ob at SEA 16 for 11 yards (R.Moore).
2nd and 3 R.Wilson pass incomplete short left to B.Walters.
3rd and 3 R.Wilson pass short middle to B.Walters to SEA 27 for 11 yards (B.Roby).

4th quarter: @ 6:19 (same drive as above)
3rd and 9 R.Wilson pass incomplete short right to B.Walters [N.Irving].
(followed by punt leading to the Denver drive that resulted in Kam's interception)

I'll be honest I haven't been keeping track of this guy. I barely knew of him before he was named punt returner. Seems like we are going to him a lot for someone I was barely aware of. What does the coaching staff know that I wouldn't know?

Thoughts?

ndnchapathi69

Reaction score
Walters is the man, clutch route runner. I see him as a brandon stokely type of guy.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm stunned that none of the considerably rabbit Ricardo Lockette fans have expressed any concern about exposing such an important and valued member of special teams to the hazards of wide receiver. :shock:

Seriously, I see value in both subject players making contributions on both special teams and offense. Highly celebrated marque receivers are valued for their decoy work in addition to their play making receptions. Its the receiver depth that punishes defenses for cheating on coverage. Having depth that can punish cheating coverage and also contribute on special teams is an important roster asset. The two are different type receivers. Nice to have that choice for match up exploitation.

P.S. for byau: Walters has been described as a smart, very good pair of hands, running precise routes consistently. There is a considerable body of trust that has accumulated going back into the off season and early days of training camp.