Moffitt trade voided: Update, traded to Denver instead.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Originally, I posted that I thought we could've gotten more for Moffit. Dallas and Denver both are hit hard with injuries already, and they need guys badly.

Moffitt has started in this league and was coached by Cable, that might be good enough for some teams. Jerry Jones overpays for everything, so it might be a case where Moffitt was available, and Denver jumped before Dallas or another team could. There's nothing wrong with Moffitt's knee...I haven't read anything about Moffitt missing practice, resting or sitting out any part of TC to rest anything, much less his knee. This was Cleveland having buyer's remorse about trading a young DT that they were actually high on.

I read about Moffitt's ability to play Guard and Center coming out of Wisconsin, and I think it was that versatility that interested the Seahawks. Jared Smith just got converted from the DL to play center and from alll accounts I've read, he isn't ready. Jeanpierre would've been better at Center, but I would be willing to guess Schneider wouldn't go for that if it was proposed.

Jville

Reaction score
Well, I think Moffitt's best years are yet to come. He is considered to be an excellent technician. He is in the best condition of his NFL career. So .... the Denver Broncos did well with this trade.

vonstout

Reaction score
i would have preferred a low round draft pick next year than a guy that likely won't make our roster.

warden

Reaction score
We trade Moffit for a player we most likely are going to cut

My theory

The Seahawks have already made the choice to cut Moffit, they cannot get a draft pick for him so they trade him for a player that they can cut. This way they can control who gets Moffitt. The insure that the Cards or Rams or a team we will be competing against does not have the luxury to get him.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I think warden is correct with his theory. More competition to D-line and controlling where Moffitt lands are the reasons behind this trade. I was hoping he would land in Bengals, so we could see him in Hard Knocks.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Jville":2j1yafl0 said:
Well, I think Moffitt's best years are yet to come. He is considered to be an excellent technician. He is in the best condition of his NFL career. So .... the Denver Broncos did well with this trade.

Who considers him an "excellent technician"? Just curious. He's been described as being more technical than Sweezy, but I've never heard Moffitt labeled as an excellent technician - and the fact that he couldn't keep the job from a rookie DT conversion project with no experience last year seems to support that.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Has this Moffitt trade been made official and complete, or is it possible that the Broncos will send him back too?

Happypuppy

Reaction score
My analysis of JM while here.

I believe he can a be a good but not great guard. He seemed to understand what technically what he was supposed to do but he has slow feet which could get him out of position at times. He is not a power lineman. Don't expect to see him blow the DL player back and on his heels. John likes to redirect or cut block and is more effective with it. RW is guy that likes to run around a lot and a lineman that plays The game John does it is difficult as he can move the lineman right into the QB lane. However a QB that sits in the pocket I think he will do much better.

Don't get the impression he is slow and weak. He isn't... He is a strong guy and his combine numbers were good ( prior to knee issues of course). By slow feet I mean that his feet get out of position relative to his upper body, which puts you and a weaker position leverage wise.

I think the Denver fans will like him. He is personable , gives great interviews and seems a well liked by teammates

12thMan1

Reaction score
drdiags":2jjuk6jx said:
Wonder what the physical issue the Browns had with him? Knees or something else?

Perhaps an over active bladder? :D

BroncosFan

Reaction score
HawkFan72":daelqslc said:
Has this Moffitt trade been made official and complete, or is it possible that the Broncos will send him back too?

It's official. Denver has accepted the trade. They did the same thing with Broderick Bunkley a few years ago. He failed a physical in Cleveland and the trade was cancelled between Philly and Cleveland. The next day he was on a plane to Denver for a late round pick and ended up having a pretty good season. I hope that Moffitt turns out to be a serviceable backup for us.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Hawks46":2id4ei4f said:
Originally, I posted that I thought we could've gotten more for Moffit. Dallas and Denver both are hit hard with injuries already, and they need guys badly.

Armchair GM talk imo. If we could have gotten more for Moffit we would have.... He obviously wasn't looked at too favorably around the league.

CANHawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3lsh316u said:
Hawks46":3lsh316u said:

Armchair GM talk imo. If we could have gotten more for Moffit we would have.... He obviously wasn't looked at too favorably around the league.

Yeah no shit. Given JS's track record do you REEEEEEEALY think he would allow himself to get hosed on a trade? True Denver has a need for hoggies, but we probably weren't the only team they were talking to. What we got in return was what got our deal done instead of what some other team was demanding in return for whatever o-lineman they were offering up, and what Denver was offering was in all likelihood better than what Dallas was offering. That's the way it works.

It's obvious now that Moffitt was done-diddly-done here regardless of what trades were available, so the fact JS got anything for him is pure gravy. Hopefully the gravy we got turns into something we'll actually want to sop up with a biscuit.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I like this trade a lot better than the other one. Player B is going to be a start while Player A was just going to be a scrub.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":qxmjch4r said:
Jville":qxmjch4r said:

Who considers him an "excellent technician"? Just curious. He's been described as being more technical than Sweezy, but I've never heard Moffitt labeled as an excellent technician - and the fact that he couldn't keep the job from a rookie DT conversion project with no experience last year seems to support that.

I will tell you how I first noticed Moffitt. I was watching the left tackle at Wisconsin, and this ass kicker next to him just kept showing up.

Wisconsin is one of those schools that really teaches their linemen. Kind of like Iowa. And it ends up working against them as pros if they are limited athletes. As a zone blocker, Moffitt is very technically sound. He was sound before he ever took a snap as a Hawk. He is just so damn slow. Kind of like John Carlson was pretty much a finished product when he came out of ND, so was Moffitt.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Scottemojo":17fnci8i said:
FlyingGreg":17fnci8i said:
Jville":17fnci8i said:

I will tell you how I first noticed Moffitt. I was watching the left tackle at Wisconsin, and this ass kicker next to him just kept showing up.

Wisconsin is one of those schools that really teaches their linemen. Kind of like Iowa. And it ends up working against them as pros if they are limited athletes. As a zone blocker, Moffitt is very technically sound. He was sound before he ever took a snap as a Hawk. He is just so damn slow. Kind of like John Carlson was pretty much a finished product when he came out of ND, so was Moffitt.

What baffles me is how his own assessment of his TC performance ("I thought I had a very good camp") differs so noticably from the comments made by Bevell, Cable and Pete.

BroncosFan

Reaction score
CANHawk":1eoxkqhm said:
therealjohncarlson":1eoxkqhm said:
Hawks46":1eoxkqhm said:

Yeah no shit. Given JS's track record do you REEEEEEEALY think he would allow himself to get hosed on a trade? True Denver has a need for hoggies, but we probably weren't the only team they were talking to. What we got in return was what got our deal done instead of what some other team was demanding in return for whatever o-lineman they were offering up, and what Denver was offering was in all likelihood better than what Dallas was offering. That's the way it works.

It's obvious now that Moffitt was done-diddly-done here regardless of what trades were available, so the fact JS got anything for him is pure gravy. Hopefully the gravy we got turns into something we'll actually want to sop up with a biscuit.

Just curious what JS's track record on trades is. I know that the Broncos trade looked good for Seattle in the end, but had the Broncos drafted Lesean McCoy instead of Alphonso Smith it would have been a great trade for Denver. Earl Thomas is a solid young player himself though. The Percy Harvin trade really can't be judged for a few years. The Whitehurst trade was outright bad for Seattle. The Flynn trade was nice, but still doesn't make up for the mistake of signing him. I'm not trying to start controversy here, just curious as to what else JS has done in the trade market in Seattle.

chris98251

Reaction score
Clemons, Lynch, are the most notable, we have made low level draft pick trades for defensive lineman and offensive lineman, Traded Aaron Curry to Oakland, Kelly Jennings to Cinncinatti and Josh Wilson to the Ravens for draft picks that turned out to be some of our starters, 5th rounders.