Moffitt trade voided: Update, traded to Denver instead.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Osprey":15khelmf said:
Think Denver will try Moffitt at center? Aren't they weak there?

They did lose their starting Center for the year. Good call.

That would be risky to acquire Moffit to fill that hole though, he is not really a Center, just one that can play there if absolutely necessary.

Jville

Reaction score
Osprey":u9vdcgw2 said:
Think Denver will try Moffitt at center? Aren't they weak there?
A few weeks ago, I posted speculation that Denver might be wise in looking into trading for Lemuel Jeanpierre.

Dreadbelch

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":wrhb15te said:
As far as a place to live, talk about a huge uprade. My pops lived in denver for a long time, awesome city. Cleveland is a hole, went there for the road game a few years back. Can't fathom living there.

A gourmet restaurant in Cleveland is one where you leave the tray on the table after you eat.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Saw Siliga (edited.. I always spell his name wrong!) play as a youngster and throughout college. The kid is a good athlete and was a holy terror at times. I feel excellent about getting him back for Moffitt. I think he'll be a pleasant surprise.

Many poly players over the year have been "late bloomers" at DT and had very very good careers. It is an interesting dynamic. I am firmly entrenched in the poly community in Utah and know these kids well and how they have dominated the high school ranks in the west valley area for the last 20 years, and many have gone on to Utah where they have the strongest poly pipeline aside from Hawaii (and even then... Utah is gaining more and more great poly players). Many of these guys are nephews and cousins of former and current NFL players and dominate the high school ranks with relatively poor coaching. Then they get to college and just brute force their way through with "effort and intensity", but the guys who are taught the technique end up being great. Haloti Ngata is a good example. He comes out of the same part of the valley as Siliga and was a freak in junior high and high school and was coached up a lot at camps at BYU and Utah as a kid. Then he got to Oregon and was coached extremely well and has had a spectacular career.

Don't sleep on this guy. He could be a really nice fit if given a good chance. Seattle's D is much more similar to the type of style he was coached in back in college (somebody will say "blah blah buzzword blah blah, Utah runs a 3-4 blah or they base out of a buzzword blahbedy blah", but I'm talking about overall philosophy with how Kyle Whittingham runs his team and structures practices and adjusts constantly... he is very much a Pete Carroll type of coach). I'm pleased and hope he gets a legitimate shot to play. I taught in the neighborhood where he grew up, and it's nice to see him get a shot.

Jville

Reaction score
Thanks for the background post. I think there is a legitimate opportunity for him in Seattle.

BroncosFan

Reaction score
Let me weigh in with a non-bias opinion for you guys on Siliga. He's a hard working, high character blue collar player at DT. He's not exceptionally quick, or strong and was getting very few reps with the 3rd team D in Denver. He wasn't going to make the team. If he makes your team, it will probably be as a bottom of the depth chart DT that can fill in when asked. He's not a playmaker or a flashy guy, but he's an all out high motor player. He was well liked in the locker room from what I understand.

Denver's offensive line is decimated with injuries, especially at center. Manny Ramirez is starting there after being a backup guard over the last few seasons. Denver is so desperate, they coaxed Ryan Lilja out of retirement, and he will probably be the starter week 1. I'm not sure if they got Moffitt to compete at center or guard, but they need depth at both. How about some info on Moffitt from the home town crowd?

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Sealver Siliga?(sp) I did see him in the game against us the other night but of course paid no attention to him, but he was in there if anyone can drag up the footage from the game. I'm pretty sure it was the 2nd half.

themunn

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1f54uoa1 said:
Here's an interesting twist, apparently Moffitt asked for a trade earlier this spring:

He was losing a training camp battle for the right guard job with J.R. Sweezy this summer. He said he asked in the spring to be traded, but was told no.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... cart_river

That he asked for a trade doesn't surprise me, I can't remember where it came from, but I seem to remember a quote during the season that suggested he wasn't happy that someone in the coaching staff (possibly Cable) had suggested both that he wasn't working hard enough and he wasn't playing well enough. I remember it being harsh at the time because he looked better than Sweezy any time he was on the field (I am well aware that Sweezy was only just learning the position and has a far higher upside, that doesn't negate the fact that he was still the better player on gamedays).

He obviously felt he was being unfairly ostracised.

Jville

Reaction score
BroncosFan":3w8zefqs said:
Let me weigh in with a non-bias opinion for you guys on Siliga. He's a hard working, high character blue collar player at DT. He's not exceptionally quick, or strong and was getting very few reps with the 3rd team D in Denver. He wasn't going to make the team. If he makes your team, it will probably be as a bottom of the depth chart DT that can fill in when asked. He's not a playmaker or a flashy guy, but he's an all out high motor player. He was well liked in the locker room from what I understand.

Denver's offensive line is decimated with injuries, especially at center. Manny Ramirez is starting there after being a backup guard over the last few seasons. Denver is so desperate, they coaxed Ryan Lilja out of retirement, and he will probably be the starter week 1. I'm not sure if they got Moffitt to compete at center or guard, but they need depth at both. How about some info on Moffitt from the home town crowd?
Why hasn't Denver shown any interest in Seattle's backup center Lemuel Jeanpierre?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Jville":2xnnomni said:
BroncosFan":2xnnomni said:

Why hasn't Denver shown any interest in Seattle's backup center Lemuel Jeanpierre?

They may well have, but that doesn't mean that Seattle has shown any interest in trading him.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Jville":357krb0v said:
BroncosFan":357krb0v said:

We kinda need to keep Jeanpierre as our backup center. They may very well have inquired, but hes more value to us.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
SharkHawk":23belihx said:
Saw Siliga (edited.. I always spell his name wrong!) play as a youngster and throughout college. The kid is a good athlete and was a holy terror at times. I feel excellent about getting him back for Moffitt. I think he'll be a pleasant surprise.

Thanks for the info Shark, but I will wait to get excited until we hear the trade is final.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":qc2p5oo0 said:
Williams allegedly has battled knee soreness this month, but when I watch him I don't see a good player battling through injury. I see a fast moving healthy looking player with bad technique.

Williams has been a disappointment, but I wouldn't write his career epitaph just yet. Even if he is released, I bet we'll see him back on the roster in the future, unless another team grabs him.

I don't know anything about this new guy from Denver, but if he's an above average run defender, Seattle got a nice return. We don't have any real depth there. Obviously, Williams does not look the part yet. Hill anchors poorly and has more of a 3-tech skillset. McDaniel is lanky (6'7") and would probably struggle with leverage. Red Bryant is our 5-tech. Clinton McDonald is solid as a run defender, but does he make the roster? Maybe the new and improved Jaye Howard (talk about irony)? If this new guy is a better run defender than McDonald and McDaniel, I think he's got a shot to make the team.

I can't see Seattle giving up on Williams 3 months into his professional career anyways.

From what I've read of McDaniel (I didn't watch much of him in Miami), and from what Pete has said, McDaniel is actually pretty decent against the run. He uses his long arms to keep the Guard off of him and doesn't let blocks get to his body. For those of us that played defense, you know that if you can keep a guy off of you with your arms, you've really won. You can direct the guy either way and still play the run. It's really the ideal way to play a 2 gap technique (at least how I was coached). Pete's said that he really wants to see what McDaniels can bring as a penetrating 3 tech, and has been disappointed so far this season in Tony not being able to get on the field.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
BroncosFan":1aidlx8p said:

Seems to be a decent player, but many feel he has already reached his ceiling. What you see is what you're going to get. Which for a team with a lot of injury issues, Moffit would be a good player to get since you know what you're getting.

He has had some injury issues, however (which is supposedly why the Browns didn't want him) so he may not solve the issues on your line for the long term. He also has had some minor run-ins with the law (banned from the mall for public urination) and some PED issues.

He's a great interview and the class clown of the team. So he's great to watch in interviews, but it can lead you to believe he doesn't take his job seriously and work hard enough (which many on here have accused him of). The fact that he lost a position battle to a 7th round DE converted to an O-lineman just fuels that belief.

Overall, he's a good depth lineman to have and he's been coached up by one of the best in the business. He just wasn't going to last any longer here because he was beaten out by players with more upside who haven't already reached their potential (which project to be higher than Moffit's).

chris98251

Reaction score
Can see Moffit on the Line of scrimmage listening to Manning, He's like another Russell Wilson.

Jville

Reaction score
Basis4day":3lzil1lm said:
Jville":3lzil1lm said:
BroncosFan":3lzil1lm said:

We kinda need to keep Jeanpierre as our backup center. They may very well have inquired, but hes more value to us.
In Seattle, Lemuel Jeanpierre is a plug and play center that can also play guard. I think a trade would make sence if Denver is comfortable with him as a day one starter. Carroll has singled out Jared Smith for his continuing development at center and guard. Also, Mike Person has been active at center since his return to active participation. To me, making a bid for Lemuel Jeanpierre would be a no brainer for the Denver Broncos.

chris98251

Reaction score
If the staff thinks they have a guy better or as good as that can make the line calls and not cost the team maybe, but Center is like the third most important position on offense, there was a reason we looked like Shit when Spencer played for us.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Don't get too worked up everyone......it was a trade of a guy who most likely wasn't going to make our team for a guy who most likely wasn't going to make theirs. I'll be surprised if Silga (sp) makes our roster. He will have only a game and 1/2 at best to make any impression. Unless we "redshirt" one of the rooks, he will not make it.