Michael - Ware - Turbin - 2013 Preseason highlights

RussJames

Reaction score
As much as I love the beast that is Marshawn Lynch, he won't be around forever, and given the quality depth we have at RB, he might be a bit more expendable than some think. I'm not saying he'll be cut this year or even the next, but come year 2015 there will have to be some tough decisions made concerning contract renewals (Wilson, Wagner, Irvin, etc.), and cutting Lynch would free up a good chunk of money. Luckily we have some exceptional young'uns waiting in the ranks behind him...

Christine Michael is special. Very special. Coming into the Combine at 5'10'' 220lbs and running a 4.43 40yrd dash, a 6.69 three cone drill, leaping to a 43 inch vertical, and putting up 27 bench reps.... Ridiculous... Sometimes pure athleticism shown at the combine doesn't translate to the playing field, in this case, it absolutely does. Expect big things from this guy in the future if he can stay healthy (dont worry, I knocked on wood).

Honestly, I'm not too big on Turbin. At most, I think he's an excellent 'backup' to BeastMode, or Michael in the near future. His strengths are without a doubt his pass protection and receiving, which make him a perfect 3rd down back.

I like Spencer Ware. Run, catch, block, special teams; There's not much he can't do. Will he mold into a pro bowl caliber fullback? Who knows. He didn't show much this preseason to prove he could... But then again, I don't think anybody thought a former QB out of Penn State would eventually become an all pro fullback, eh? I really hope Spencer kicks some ass this year when given a chance.
Anyways, here's some highlights I put together. I included every 5+ yard gain from Michael, Turbo, and Ware. Sorry, no music, it was nabbed.

[youtube]KsTm2JRooyY[/youtube]

Hope the embedding worked. I'm a forum newbie. If not, here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsTm2JRooyY

I also cut up plays from Stephen Williams, Luke Willson, and Jermaine Kearse that I should have up sometime in the very near future.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Awesome

[youtube]KsTm2JRooyY[/youtube]

Quick draw with the solid highlights. Much appreciated, man.

OP
OP
RussJames

RussJames

Reaction score
vin.couve12":wxs1heya said:
Quick draw with the solid highlights. Much appreciated, man.

No problem amigo. This was probably the most excited I'd ever been for a preseason in my life. Before this year I'd never re-watched a preseason game; I think I re-watched each game at least 3 times...

I also made a video with preseason highlight from Willson, S. Williams, and Kearse, I'm just trying to figure out the youtube copyright music deal right now. Should be up in a day or two.

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
Maybe it hasn't occurred to anyone before but why haven't we tried Turbin as a fullback? He really seems to lack elusiveness in his game. It seems like he isn't getting much yards after contact, or at least not as much as Micheal and Ware do. To anyone's knowledge has this thought been discussed before?

Basis4day

Reaction score
megamanflx1":15undfsh said:
Maybe it hasn't occurred to anyone before but why haven't we tried Turbin as a fullback? He really seems to lack elusiveness in his game. It seems like he isn't getting much yards after contact, or at least not as much as Micheal and Ware do. To anyone's knowledge has this thought been discussed before?

It was discussed on Tuesday

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71870

Turbin is a better running back than a lot of people realize. But he's on the same team as Lynch. He doesn't compare to Lynch and that affects peoples judgement of him.

Oh, and before it gets brought up again. No, we shouldn't trade Turbin.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Basis4day":2jkvi957 said:
megamanflx1":2jkvi957 said:

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71870

Turbin is a better running back than a lot of people realize. But he's on the same team as Lynch. He doesn't compare to Lynch and that affects peoples judgement of him.

Thank you.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Ware really likes lowering the shoulder a lot, it's rough watching Turbin go down so easily, Michael looks a lot like Frank Gore too me.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
megamanflx1":3glcc3z0 said:

I'm not seeing a lot of YAC in that reel from Michael or Ware either. Marshawn is just in a class by himself when it comes to YAC. He's also worlds ahead of these guys in terms of his ability to juke defenders and move side-to-side.

I like Michael's ability to burst and find lanes, but he's still a north-south guy that needs some kind of hole to get yards. I think that will change with time and experience, but he's not yet an MVP level player like Lynch is today.

Turbin has less burst and is perhaps a touch more indecisive than Michael in picking lanes, but he powers into guys a little harder (despite his tendency to get his leg wrapped), which makes him a little more like BeastMode in that regard. He's also far ahead of Michael in terms of pass protection.

Ware looks pretty damn good for a #3 RB, and he's flashed some on special teams, but I wonder how much potential he really has as an FB. Sometimes it seems like he's the smallest guy in our stable of backs. If you watch the highlights, Coleman is actually the FB on some of Ware's runs and does a pretty good job of creating space for him. Coleman definitely seems to have more of the body-type and physicality you expect in an FB. Due to that and the insane depth we have at RB, Ware's role may be limited to strictly STs this year. That kind of makes you wonder if someone like Michael Robinson or Leon Washington might be more valuable from a "win now" perspective.

CANHawk

Reaction score
@ OP: I totally think CMike was drafted with 2015 and an early departure of Lynch in mind. in 2015, Beast will be on the verge of turning 30 and set to make $9m ($5.5m base w/$1.1 signing and $2m roster bonuses). Conversely, in 2015 CMike will be 24, in his prime and making $920k on a non-negotiable rookie contract. After this year, nothing on Beast's contract is guaranteed.

Unless Marshawn (who I absolutely fricken love with all my heart btw) runs for over 2k yards in 2014, I highly HIGHLY doubt he's on the roster come 2015. Matter of fact, I'd almost guarantee he's gone regardless. Probably what we should have done with Shaun Alexander back in the day (who I also love, but paying him was a bad business decision). Sherman and Earl come due in 2015 and Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner and Okung the year after that. They're all going to demand CRAZY cash. There's no way we keep a 30 y/o beast around at $9m when all those guys need to be signed. Ditto for Sidney sticking around past 2015 when he's going to be making $10.2m. Zack Miller might be affordable at $6m in 2015, but I bet he's gone too.

Yeah it's kinda sad that we'll have to say goodbye to some old friends, but the big contracts we have on the books now (Beast, Rice, Red, Mebane, Clem) will roll over to todays crop of ultra talented/underpaid players and we'll aquire a new crop of ultra talented but underpaid kids. But the awesome part is that we have ALL of those guys locked up RIGHT NOW so........ WE'RE RICH BIATCH!!

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I don't even want to think about when Lynch is gone, it's coming but I'll just enjoy the ride for now.

hawk45

Reaction score
Huh, of all 3 Turbin was the least impressive in the open field. I can see Michael/Ware doing something with a screen pass, can't see it as much from Turbin.

Turbin does do a good job with the one-cut and go though, his experience in the system showing through a little there. And being trustworthy as a blocker, more than the other two, obviously is a big plus.

Turbin may try to truck people but his center of gravity is so high and his legs so (relatively) thin he can't punish anyone. I saw more punishing lower-the-shoulders runs from both Michael and Ware in those highlights. And then there's what happens if anyone touches Turby on his stick-legs. Down to the turf.

Michael looked flat dangerous in the open field. I don't think we're ever going to get a back like Lynch who can do so dang MUCH after contact, but a guy like Michael with those quicks and that burst might be able to do it in a different way by avoiding the contact and bursting.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Basis4day":y8knirf6 said:
megamanflx1":y8knirf6 said:

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71870

You might want to read what I bolded in your post, then go and rewatch the highlights. Turbin might not completely break every tackle like Lynch does, but I rarely see him not fall forward after first contact. He lacks the insane lateral agility that Lynch does, but most backs do. Turbin had 3 runs I saw where he broke 3 tackles and kept going. He gets good yards after contact, but he's not very good at getting away from guys who are on his legs. Lynch is.

Good job on the highlights. In rewatching these, Michael runs behind his pads and lowers his shoulder much more than I saw in his A&M highlights. He definately brings more pop at the end of the play, and doesn't look to shy away from contact. He also juked a guy out of his HELMET. I've never actually seen that before.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Turbin was seriously the least of the three. Leg tackle. Leg tackle. Leg tackle. I could keep typing a dozen more times. But he gets good yards. Michael and Ware looked better however. And I think Turbin really would make a better FB.

jake206

Reaction score
i took michael in my fantasy league...I'm hoping he has a breakout year.

fsmassey

Reaction score
With this team, Marshawn will probably be gone before he's past his usefulness. Unfortunate, but most likely true.
The Seahawk's could keep him around and take his carries down a ton, like SF does with Frank Gore, who has incredible longevity and production, even now into his thirties.

Running back committee approach. Do it!

Latest posts