Michael Bennett reportedly wants around $10 million a year

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":18qcivvd said:
MizzouHawkGal":18qcivvd said:
I like you Kearly but wow are you nuts. On the one hand you have one of the best NT's in the game that plays on all downs getting 10.5 million while being younger compared to a part time rotational player near 30 and you say I am wrong for saying we should pay him 7-8 million? The only worry I have is the length of the contract because I believe someone will be willing to offer him 4-5 years where I don't think we go over 3 years.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you are acting like you know everything and you couldn't be further from the truth. Try doing research before you tell others how wrong they are.

In 2013, Atkins a DT, not NT, played 454 defensive snaps while Bennett played 600...

That "part time rotational player" led our DL in snaps. So the next time you try to diminish what Bennett did our defense, look it up.
He was injured so get off your high horse. He is an every down player and Bennett is not and you know it. Our system prefers rotational guys versus the 1/2 star model so given that it's easier to replace him if his price is too high.

We seem to have built a system just like New England only difference being they're offensively focused and we're defensively focused.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1v0m2ee9 said:
Hawkfan77":1v0m2ee9 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1v0m2ee9 said:
I like you Kearly but wow are you nuts. On the one hand you have one of the best NT's in the game that plays on all downs getting 10.5 million while being younger compared to a part time rotational player near 30 and you say I am wrong for saying we should pay him 7-8 million? The only worry I have is the length of the contract because I believe someone will be willing to offer him 4-5 years where I don't think we go over 3 years.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you are acting like you know everything and you couldn't be further from the truth. Try doing research before you tell others how wrong they are.

In 2013, Atkins a DT, not NT, played 454 defensive snaps while Bennett played 600...

That "part time rotational player" led our DL in snaps. So the next time you try to diminish what Bennett did our defense, look it up.
He was injured so get off your high horse. He is an every down player and Bennett is not and you know it. Our system prefers rotational guys versus the 1/2 star model so given that it's easier to replace him if his price is too high.

We seem to have built a system just like New England only difference being they're offensively focused and we're defensively focused.

Bryant is a rotational guy and less important

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":1kxfwl57 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1kxfwl57 said:
Hawkfan77":1kxfwl57 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1kxfwl57 said:

Bryant is a rotational guy and less important
And he very well may go, personally I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions.I want Bennett back but not for 10 million or any more than 4 years (3 years is preferable).

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":3fept85d said:
MizzouHawkGal":3fept85d said:
Geno Aktins is a premier NT and even you know that. Please stop being ridiculous sir.

There are four errors I counted in this statement. Basic spelling, Atkin's position (he's a 3-tech), statement of my knowledge over said incorrect statement which somehow also incorrectly assumes that I don't think Atkins is a premiere player, and then the 2nd sentence, which is delicious irony.

Last year Seattle couldn't get pressure when they blitzed five. This year they had one of the most disruptive pass rushes in the league (PFF) rushing four almost every down. Avril helped but he actually provided several fewer sacks than Clemons did the year before. Should be kinda obvious to everyone that the difference in our pass rush this year was Bennett and McDonald inside.

Rapaport sounded emphatic when he said Bennett will be retained by Seattle. Maybe he had bad info, but if he's right and Bennett stays, I'm going to enjoy the massive u-turn bitch-flipping the moment Bennett signs that contract, and how everyone thought it was the right, obvious move and how we're all so glad to have Bennett back. It is AMAZING to me how much the tide of opinion here has changed over Bennett ever since he made that one "Costco" statement. Reminds me quite a bit of how casual NFL fans / jabronies went into over-reaction nuclear meltdown over the Sherman rant. (It's times like this that I wish Seatown81 would post more.)

Yup, it's going to be a big cap hit. But way too much is being made of that without putting spending into context. You don't spend money on the stuff that's easy to replace. You spend it on the stuff that's hard to replace. And we haven't had a player like Bennett inside in forever.

That plus it seems kind of silly to me to throw so much team resources at guys like Clemons, Avril, and Irvin, and then when you finally get a guy who is a star in his prime at the most premium pass rush spot of them all you just let him walk? Makes no sense.
I hear what you're saying. I, for one, would love to find a way to sign Bennett, I just simply don't think it can happen. I also think that if it does happen, it signifies that the end is near for Richard Sherman.

I also have a gut feeling that last season will be the best Bennett will ever play in his career. Felt slighted, playing for a big contract as well as a ring. The stars aligned, and he played with ridiculous effort. Do you expect that same effort over the next several seasons? Is 75% of Michael Bennett still the difference maker? Maybe.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Tical21":35nkobs1 said:
kearly":35nkobs1 said:
MizzouHawkGal":35nkobs1 said:
Geno Aktins is a premier NT and even you know that. Please stop being ridiculous sir.

There are four errors I counted in this statement. Basic spelling, Atkin's position (he's a 3-tech), statement of my knowledge over said incorrect statement which somehow also incorrectly assumes that I don't think Atkins is a premiere player, and then the 2nd sentence, which is delicious irony.

Last year Seattle couldn't get pressure when they blitzed five. This year they had one of the most disruptive pass rushes in the league (PFF) rushing four almost every down. Avril helped but he actually provided several fewer sacks than Clemons did the year before. Should be kinda obvious to everyone that the difference in our pass rush this year was Bennett and McDonald inside.

Rapaport sounded emphatic when he said Bennett will be retained by Seattle. Maybe he had bad info, but if he's right and Bennett stays, I'm going to enjoy the massive u-turn bitch-flipping the moment Bennett signs that contract, and how everyone thought it was the right, obvious move and how we're all so glad to have Bennett back. It is AMAZING to me how much the tide of opinion here has changed over Bennett ever since he made that one "Costco" statement. Reminds me quite a bit of how casual NFL fans / jabronies went into over-reaction nuclear meltdown over the Sherman rant. (It's times like this that I wish Seatown81 would post more.)

Yup, it's going to be a big cap hit. But way too much is being made of that without putting spending into context. You don't spend money on the stuff that's easy to replace. You spend it on the stuff that's hard to replace. And we haven't had a player like Bennett inside in forever.

That plus it seems kind of silly to me to throw so much team resources at guys like Clemons, Avril, and Irvin, and then when you finally get a guy who is a star in his prime at the most premium pass rush spot of them all you just let him walk? Makes no sense.
I hear what you're saying. I, for one, would love to find a way to sign Bennett, I just simply don't think it can happen. I also think that if it does happen, it signifies that the end is near for Richard Sherman.

I also have a gut feeling that last season will be the best Bennett will ever play in his career. Felt slighted, playing for a big contract as well as a ring. The stars aligned, and he played with ridiculous effort. Do you expect that same effort over the next several seasons? Is 75% of Michael Bennett still the difference maker? Maybe.

Hey, remember when Marshawn Lynch got his big contract and then stopped playing hard?

It was just like when Chris Clemons and Kam Chancellor got paid and then sucked big time.

Jville

Reaction score
Hawkboi":7v7bt86u said:
Gone.... Exit Stage Left... :|
That's proof positive we have some smart members at .net

Some threads are destined to become uncivilized.

Teqneek

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":pibmhqxn said:
Bigpumpkin":pibmhqxn said:
Scottemojo":pibmhqxn said:
Can't blame him for setting the bar high.

Well Scott, then who do you want me to blame?

The average working man making $5,000 a month for 45 years would make $2,700,000 in a lifetime In effect, Bennett is asking for $50 million for five years. Why is it that we do not hear from the "have not's" of society or their leaders hollering for more equality?

Hey look, it only took 3 pages for someone to whine about how much athletes make!

Hey look it only took 3 pages to jump on the support of Athletes making millions of dollars.

"If the average working man could do this"

Guess what the average NFL player couldn't do most things that keep this country running.

The "He desrves it" crap makes me want to puke. Let me know when they attempt to do something viable for society then Ill give two diddles about him "deserving" it.

Lesson to my kids is play sports to learn discipline, routine, and sportsmanship; But I will never support a dream of becoming a professional athlete. Id rather them contribute something to this world as a human being, rather than being a rich egoistical numnut who gets paid millions of dollars for a game.

To each their own. Everyone has their "role models" and "heros" I suppose.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
We'll see. It only takes one team to see the value of signing him.

That said, the team's always looking for the 6-4 ... 6-5 270-275 Ibs DT/DE hybrid.

Jason Jones and Gregg Srucggs comes to mind.

I see them drafting someone that fits the mold again.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Teqneek":3bkbn5z6 said:
Hey look it only took 3 pages to jump on the support of Athletes making millions of dollars.

"If the average working man could do this"

Guess what the average NFL player couldn't do most things that keep this country running.

You know what? I'd be willing to bet that if these guys didn't spend their lives from junior high through adulthood working at becoming an NFL player, they might have had the time and skill to learn those jobs that "keep this country running." Just a thought.

The "He desrves it" crap makes me want to puke. Let me know when they attempt to do something viable for society then Ill give two diddles about him "deserving" it.

Lesson to my kids is play sports to learn discipline, routine, and sportsmanship; But I will never support a dream of becoming a professional athlete. Id rather them contribute something to this world as a human being, rather than being a rich egoistical numnut who gets paid millions of dollars for a game.

So the guy who works his ass off to become a professional athlete is a "numnut" and doesn't deserve his pay? Need to re-focus your anger, champ. The American people have argued with their attention, energy, and wallets that what these athletes are doing IS something viable and IS contributing to society. If nothing else, it's providing entertainment that people want to see. Cultures have valued sport for millennia. Why should modern America be any different?

To each their own. Everyone has their "role models" and "heros" I suppose.

Not everyone views these athletes as role models and heroes. Some of us view them as guys performing a very specific and difficult task for which they are well-compensated due to the nature of supply and demand.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Interior Pass Rushers are not a dime a dozen and I have no problem investing into it and while we have some promising edge rushers, our interior is not so promising. Hill did not play enough this year to prove he can take over for Bennett. Bennett and Avril off the edge was nigh unstoppable and I don't think you pick up someone cheap off the street and keep that kind of success. The single difference from last years D to this years D is interior pass rush.

Can't fault Bennett for cashing in, but $10 mill is a little steep. I think $8 mill sounds more reasonable but I'm not a GM. I also don't see us picking up anyone in the draft that will come in and instant bring the same skill set. DL is also one of the hardest positions to adjust to coming from college to NFL. It's easy to be a slave to recency (to quote Brock and Danny) but a year ago we were all dying for interior pass rush. SDB in particular banged the table for it, and rightfully so.

Bennett's value right now is high for this team. Maybe not $10 but he is incredibly valuable and to pair him with Avril for another year will keep our pass rush very formidable. But we have an opportunity to solidify that interior rush and I don't see a problem with taking it.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Yxes1122":3idjrghb said:
The single difference from last years D to this years D is interior pass rush.

Had nothing to do with upgrading from Trufant at slot corner? Or upgrading from LeRoy at WLB? Or upgrading from Bradley to Quinn? Or upgrading from Irvin to Avril as our strongside rusher? Or Kam playing on two ankles instead of one? Or Sherman and Thomas both having DPOY worthy seasons in 2013?

And yet with all those areas to improve, we were the #1 scoring defense in 2012 too and arguably played better offensive competition that year. Yes, there was a meltdown in Atlanta, but we were down to ZERO true pass rusher for that game. How different would it have been if Clemons and Jason Jones were healthy? I'd argue that we would have won the Super Bowl that year, too.

I agree that Bennett is a special player. I just don't understand the notion that the defense is either made or broken by him. That ignores the fact that we were the premiere NFL defense BEFORE he signed here and every other aspect in which our defense has improved since then.

drdiags

Reaction score
I wonder how much money the NFL and the Seahawks made off Superbowl merchandise purchased by Seattle fans? I know I put a grip of cash on product during my euphoria. I would like Bennett to sign a reasonable contract for the club's sake, if not, I wish him the best and thank him for this season. Without him, we are probably still looking for the club's first championship (and if Irvin would look behind himself for someone to block, we probably wouldn't have had to sweat through the NFCCG final minutes and Bowman doesn't get a leg destroyed).

Nanny/Granny alert: I notice some of our folks are fogetting about the attack the post versus attack the person idea. Even if you don't agree with the person, to call them nuts will just sour the conversation. End Nanny/Granny alert.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":nb3obgst said:
He is an every down player and Bennett is not and you know it.

i disagree. sometimes, how we use someone is simply how we choose to use someone. id venture to say if we didnt have bigred last season bennett would have played 80% of the snaps, equating to your "every down player" nonsense. also u dont think bennett can be an every down player in another system?

lol whos nuts? clearly not kearly

formido

Reaction score
DavidSeven":832b42u6 said:
Yxes1122":832b42u6 said:

Had nothing to do with upgrading from Trufant at slot corner? Or upgrading from LeRoy at WLB? Or upgrading from Bradley to Quinn? Or upgrading from Irvin to Avril as our strongside rusher? Or Kam playing on two ankles instead of one? Or Sherman and Thomas both having DPOY worthy seasons in 2013?

And yet with all those areas to improve, we were the #1 scoring defense in 2012 too and arguably played better offensive competition that year. Yes, there was a meltdown in Atlanta, but we were down to ZERO true pass rusher for that game. How different would it have been if Clemons and Jason Jones were healthy? I'd argue that we would have won the Super Bowl that year, too.

I agree that Bennett is a special player. I just don't understand the notion that the defense is either made or broken by him. That ignores the fact that we were the premiere NFL defense BEFORE he signed here and every other aspect in which our defense has improved since then.

Hear, hear. I loooove Bennett, and the folks who trumpeted his signing before it was cool have earned their props, but I don't think he's worth 10 million. I'd be OK with 8 million and happy with 7 million.

plyka

Reaction score
kearly":2zspy35u said:
MizzouHawkGal":2zspy35u said:

1) It's humorous that without any reasoning whatsoever, you declared that Bennett and Mcdonald were the difference in our pass rush this year. I guess it must be self-evident like the Declaration of Independence. Your shallow attempt at reasoning is to claim that Avril was not the difference because he had less sacks than Clemons last year. I don't know where to start with this statement. Bennett also had less sacks than Clemons last year. Perhaps that's my proof that Avril was the difference? Avril and Clemons BOTH PLAYED THIS YEAR, it wasn't subtracting Clemons and adding Avril, it was adding Avril. Mcdonald, Mcdaniel, Bennett and Avril are all knew --additions. Clemons was not a subtraction. Sacks are only 1 part of a defense, even if your statement had some validity, it wouldn't constitute the whole. Also, there is the factor that players could have gotten better than last year. Not only the defensive line, but perhaps the secondary is better which made the defensive line better. Perhaps Malcom Smith and Irvin in their new roles? I mean I could literally list 100 factors, you listed 1 non-relevant one and assumed that this somehow proved Bennett and Mcdonald were self-evidently the difference.

2) And if Bennet is not signed, will you be flip flopping, claiming that it was the right choice, etc? This is another worthless statement in your post. There are many differences of opinion, it's quite productive to take the thousands of opinions, attribute whichever you want to the person you're talking to in order to back up your point, but that's not really how it works.

3) Making horrible decisions on others like Clemons/Bryant current contract, or taking a risk with a 1st round draft pick on Irvin, doesn't justify making a similar mistake on Bennett.

I'm not even saying I want Bennett gone, I want him to stay. But there are salary cap realities, and spending 10m on Bennett is simply too much. I'd rather him move on if that's the money we are talking about. A lower per annum figure, and I'd want him to stay. Either way, I wish the guy good luck. This is probably how most guys you've insinuated as being "anti-Bennett" think. Most Seahawk fans have nothing against the guy and should thank him endlessly for his great production last year.

edit: BTW, I forgot to hit that spellcheck button at the top, since it seems you would like the job, please peruse my post and let me know of any spelling errors, thanks.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
There wouldn't be conflict here if people simply acknowledged what the loss of Bennett means.

You replace him with J. Hill, who might be able to pressure the QB effectively (but not anywhere near good anchoring against the run), and it would take teams all of one half to run their RB right through the Hill-sized gap on 3rd downs.

You re-sign Clinton McDonald, and risk finding out he benefited from teams focusing on Bennett's presence in the middle and disappears. He wasn't horrible but not exactly the model of consistency playing next to Bennett after all.

You expect Scruggs to have marked improvement after an entire year on injured reserve, after showing limited promise as a rookie.

Even if Jesse Williams can play on those knees, he won't be in our 3rd down package, at best he'll be the next Red Bryant or Tony McDaniel.

Michael Brooks might have tons of upside based on the preseason which can always be trusted. And he'll take a couple more years to prove it at anywhere near Bennett's level.

Rookie DT's will take years to develop without another interior presence on the same DL. Lotulelei had Hardy, Richardson has quality all along that Jets DL. We aren't finding an instant Bennett replacing miracle there. If you think we can get along with Clemons and Avril's pressure, that's great too, if Clemons is destined for a cap casualty this year that's out, and we'll have Avril for 12 more months before everyone decides he's greedy, easily replaced by Irvin or Mayowa, and not worth 9 a year.

If you think Dan Quinn can just create awesome interior lineman at will, more power to ya. But most of us think Carroll can't live without Richard Sherman when he's had a far more established and recognized track record of assembling top secondaries at every coaching level in the NFL, so perhaps keep all the Bennett raging in perspective.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
plyka":30nh9os9 said:
kearly":30nh9os9 said:
MizzouHawkGal":30nh9os9 said:

1) It's humorous that without any reasoning whatsoever, you declared that Bennett and Mcdonald were the difference in our pass rush this year. I guess it must be self-evident like the Declaration of Independence. Your shallow attempt at reasoning is to claim that Avril was not the difference because he had less sacks than Clemons last year. I don't know where to start with this statement. Bennett also had less sacks than Clemons last year. Perhaps that's my proof that Avril was the difference? Avril and Clemons BOTH PLAYED THIS YEAR, it wasn't subtracting Clemons and adding Avril, it was adding Avril. Mcdonald, Mcdaniel, Bennett and Avril are all knew --additions. Clemons was not a subtraction. Sacks are only 1 part of a defense, even if your statement had some validity, it wouldn't constitute the whole. Also, there is the factor that players could have gotten better than last year. Not only the defensive line, but perhaps the secondary is better which made the defensive line better. Perhaps Malcom Smith and Irvin in their new roles? I mean I could literally list 100 factors, you listed 1 non-relevant one and assumed that this somehow proved Bennett and Mcdonald were self-evidently the difference.

You do realize that kearly's point was: Avril took Clemon's LEO position, which would have resulted in the same, or fewer number of sacks if there wasn't any interior pressure. You know, like in 2012?

Who am I kidding? You don't understand that.

kearly

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":kwsa5w1z said:

Again, Atkins is not a NT, he's a 3-tech.

Bennett is 28. Pass rushers often peak in their early 30s and Bennett has low wear on the tires. He probably has 3-5 great years left.

PFF had Bennett pretty high, Atkins territory, last season.

I think $7-$8 million is exactly the kind of goal that PC/JS have in mind.

If Seattle signs Bennett to a 5 year deal, they will probably structure it to have an easy out after 3 seasons just in case.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
DavidSeven":77aclyl2 said:
Yxes1122":77aclyl2 said:

Let me phrase it this way. The biggest change from last year to this year was interior pass rush. There is a reason teams don't shell out big money for Nickel Corners and WLBs. And while I love Quinn he benefited from personnel that Bradley didn't have. Give Quinn last years DL and I would be surprised if we got significantly more QB pressure. And I doubt Quinn is the DL master genius that can take anyone and make them into consistent pass rushers.

And I didn't say we NEED to sign Bennett at all costs. What I said was we have an opportunity to address the issue of interior pass rush. Do I think we should break the bank for Bennett? No. But if he walks interior pass rush becomes a big question mark. Who is going to give us what Bennett gave us? Do we count on a draft pick? Jordan Hill? Brooks? Do we sign someone to another 1 year deal in FA?

Re-signing Bennett gives you a known quantity and gives you a DL that you know can bring pressure up the middle. If he walks I would expect a visible dip in QB pressure next year unless some FA comes in and performs or one of our young guns comes out and surprises.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Seahawks4life":9fywparq said:
Michael Bennett may have just solidified his departure from the Super Bowl champs. Bennett, who led the Hawks in sacks this past season, reportedly wants around $10 million a year and is unwilling to take a discount to stay in Seattle. Michael Bennett After an impressive season, it makes sense that he wants to cash in

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/a...ksrc=story_article_msn_original_head_15810110

What do you guys think?.

Agreed. And if he does, good for him.
Love to have him back as he's one of our best dlineman. However, we nearly brought home the Lombardi a year ago without him.

-Joe

Latest posts