Maxwell possibly seeking $10 Million Annually

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1qxdy3kl said:
Good for him. Go get your payday.

Agreed. He's been playing on a rookie deal for a 6th round pick, and playing well. He deserves whatever the market will bear for him, and that's likely to be out of our price range. I wish him the best of luck and the biggest deal he can find.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
He's gone, just like BB.

The LOB is Sherman, Thomas and Kam at this point.

That 4th spot, the other corner is going to be a guest spot, guys on rookie deals, play a couple years then move on. There's already too much money tied up on the main 3. Can't have a superstar on big veteran deals at every position on the field. :Dunno:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1tdwodrz said:
He's gone, just like BB.

The LOB is Sherman, Thomas and Kam at this point.

That 4th spot, the other corner is going to be a guest spot, guys on rookie deals, play a couple years then move on. There's already too much money tied up on the main 3. Can't have a superstar on big veteran deals at every position on the field. :Dunno:

Exactly. And that 4th spot will certainly be desirable for any CB prospect or FA CB.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2rdftfwz said:
kidhawk":2rdftfwz said:
Sgt. Largent":2rdftfwz said:
dontbelikethat":2rdftfwz said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TonyPauline/status/568833398170648576[/tweet]

Huh?

Eagles have even less cap space than we do, only 24 million. So they're gonna spend almost half of it on one CB?

It's not current year that is the problem, it's future years for a top tier free agent like Maxwell. He'll want a long term contract. The dollars he's paid this year will mostly come in the form of a signing bonus which will be pro-rated over the term of the contract. It's the following years where the cap hits really come. They may have contracts expiring or have more flexibility in the upcoming years. This is why capology can be so confusing. Just because you look like you have low funds at the moment, doesn't mean you can't sign someone, and like us, having a decent amount of free money, doesn't mean we can afford to go get someone. We have a lot of money to spend in-house. Too many things to calculate to simply point at a one year cap and a large contract and say it does or doesn't work.

I understand how cap figures work, but unless you plan on making your team weaker by cutting a bunch of expensive stars and veterans in the next three years in order to afford expensive FA's now like Maxwell, it's still not prudent to spend half of your available cap space on one guy.

Also don't forget that the Eagles have to make a decision on Foles, as he's a UFA after next year like Russell. So if they don't get a promising QB in this draft they're going to have no choice but to give Foles a big extension.............maybe not a Wilson/Luck type extension, but at least a Kaepernick one.

You don't necessarily have to cut expensive veterans. A lot of it is dependent upon how contracts are structured. If you stagger them properly, then you get groups of contracts each season that are a bit more favorable. Also, with Foles, he may not even by there by the time the draft roles around. If they are serious about getting Mariota, then they'd likely find a few teams willing to trade for Foles. This also alleviates any cap concern for the next 3 years or so as they'd have an inexpensive quarterback....similar to how we worked with Russell. In other words, it's very doable without any real sacrifice.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Awsome for Maxwell, I'm proud of him. 6th round pick that worked his way up to being a star, and now he going to get his huge payday. He's earned it. I will hate to see him go but I don't blame him at all.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":1jwq898n said:
You don't necessarily have to cut expensive veterans. A lot of it is dependent upon how contracts are structured. If you stagger them properly, then you get groups of contracts each season that are a bit more favorable. Also, with Foles, he may not even by there by the time the draft roles around. If they are serious about getting Mariota, then they'd likely find a few teams willing to trade for Foles. This also alleviates any cap concern for the next 3 years or so as they'd have an inexpensive quarterback....similar to how we worked with Russell. In other words, it's very doable without any real sacrifice.

You're putting WAY too much stock in Foles. He's roundly considered overrated and had success only because he's in Kelly's offense, and far less due to his own talents.

Mariota's gonan go top 5, probably top 2. What team would trade down to 20 with the Eagles for Foles? That's insane to me, and whatever top 5 pick GM makes that terrible trade would be run out of town.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
With the regression of Simon in the playoffs and the ACL tear to Lane, I would think we would be willing to go as high as $8 million apy for Maxwell.

This is a system he is really comfortable with . . . Carroll knows exactly how to employ Maxwell, how to keep him comfortable, when to put him in the slot, etc. Maxwell should think long and hard about how this 2nd contract will affect his career in the longterm. Is he likely to see the end of that $10 million apy contract?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2gq5fpnz said:
kidhawk":2gq5fpnz said:

You're putting WAY too much stock in Foles. He's roundly considered overrated and had success only because he's in Kelly's offense, and far less due to his own talents.

Mariota's gonan go top 5, probably top 2. What team would trade down to 20 with the Eagles for Foles? That's insane to me, and whatever top 5 pick GM makes that terrible trade would be run out of town.

Nobody said it was a straight up swap. Foles could be moved separate from whatever they traded to get up high enough for Mariota.

Anyway, this is about Maxwell and the contract can be done without any true harm. There are too many factors we can't even see right now to be able to say that they shouldn't pay that kind of money.

Also, contracts can be structured to average $10 million per year, but never actually see that money. Just too many variables to say it can't or shouldn't happen

Mike 4G

Reaction score
I realize I am in the minority here, but I think Maxwell is overhyped. I like our chances of picking up new blood to compete for his spot.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mike 4G":3xivbovu said:
I realize I am in the minority here, but I think Maxwell is overhyped. I like our chances of picking up new blood to compete for his spot.

10M a year is definitely too much.

I love Maxxy, but he's benefited from being in arguably the best defensive backfield in the past 25 years. Being in a far less talented defensive backfield, and probably as the #1 (as would be expected if you're paid like a #1) is going to be a rough transition for him me things.

drdiags

Reaction score
That amount matches what I heard speculated what a top #2 corner would make on the open market. The Texans CB and KCs #2 were used as examples. I heard folks talk about the 6-7M mark and maybe that is what the eventual range may fall, but I could see Maxie getting the $10M.

To me, it isn't about being over-rated. Folks claimed BB would have problems outside of Seattle's defense and he did fairly well. Maxwell can play slot or RCB. He may get some PI calls against him but he can generate turnovers and is a tough run defender. Good for him that he got past the early injuries to put together a season and a half of quality starting play.

Humble Thug will be alright, in a few years some may be lamenting his departure as well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
drdiags":2q5ygt3y said:
That amount matches what I heard speculated what a top #2 corner would make on the open market. The Texans CB and KCs #2 were used as examples. I heard folks talk about the 6-7M mark and maybe that is what the eventual range may fall, but I could see Maxie getting the $10M.

It's called the SB Champ bump. If Maxwell played on the Raiders, he'd probably only get 6-7M, but being on a great team always inflates contracts. Other GM's not only crave the player, they crave the immediate credibility and locker room leadership.

If there's one perpetual truth in sports, everyone respects the ring.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
It is hard to tell whether our 4th CB is better because of our Safeties or just because they are good. That said, Max has been a very solid contributor and he deserves to get that huge payday if other teams will offer it. I'm happy for him and sad to see him go elsewhere.

That said, watching talent go elsewhere is always difficult but it is the way the world works in a salary cap environment. We can't keep everyone and we can't pay only the defense. I'm concerned about all the injuries these guys are dealing with now. Hopefully we can get some youth in here to help pick us up. We need at least 1 good CB and 1 good safety out of these 11 picks coming up this year. I hope John and Pete find some diamonds in the rough.

SauceTownHawk

Reaction score
Anyone have an eye on dbs in the draft cause if he's getting 10mil a year it ain't gonna be here!

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3r6vpqc1 said:
kidhawk":3r6vpqc1 said:
Hawkfan77":3r6vpqc1 said:
This explains why the Redskins, who were always in cap hell, were able to sign big money free agents year after year

That and the fact that the year it should have caught up to them was an "uncapped" year. The Redskins went against the NFL and worked contracts to take advantage of this during that time and were punished with loss of cap space in future years for it. They are past it now, but that was also a big part of it.

There really are a lot of nuances into working the contracts and the salary cap that the general public will never see and rarely hear mention of.
I remember reading an article with an unnamed GM and he quoted to basically say that the cap number was pretty useless and if you had good, smart people in your FO working on the cap you could basically sign whatever players you wanted to. It's all about number manipulation.

These GMs work for Saints, Bears and Dallas who constantly have issues and end up paying more because of it. Seattle and a few others properly managed the cap creating space in the future and not building up unsustainable towers.

You can do a lot of manipulating but in the end you pay for it. Either by cap shedding like Oakland and Carolina or by constantly being restricted like Dallas and Saints.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Now Simon might need surgery? Good god, what the hell's going on.

Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta 28m28 minutes ago
Carroll confirms Chancellor and Sherman will not need surgery. Says Simon has to have his shoulder looked at and could have surgery.

If I wasn't crying, I'd be lol'ing at this bad luck.

Maybe we need to pay Maxwell 10M, or at least one of the top FA corners good money.........cause going into camp with this MASH unit? It's gonna be ugly.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Damn I had really hoped we could find an affordable way to keep Max, but this number seems to assure he is moving on from the Hawks. Then again, I have seen so many tweets and media reports be so full of crap. Hard to trust these kinds of reports.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
At 10M I think Maxwell's future is in Atlanta or Jacksonville. Going forward I think the second CB spot is going to be for whoever is on a rookie contract or maybe a guy like Browner (getting a second chance but not on a huge contract).

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":iugzs7ql said:
Now Simon might need surgery? Good god, what the hell's going on.

Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta 28m28 minutes ago
Carroll confirms Chancellor and Sherman will not need surgery. Says Simon has to have his shoulder looked at and could have surgery.

If I wasn't crying, I'd be lol'ing at this bad luck.

Maybe we need to pay Maxwell 10M, or at least one of the top FA corners good money.........cause going into camp with this MASH unit? It's gonna be ugly.
If the worst case scenerio does happen I would expect the Seahawks to have an off year possibly. Something like 9-7/10-6 and maybe the second wildcard. We aren't in a creampuff division like the Patriots so years like these can and do happen.

I wouldn't panic though because they have the whole off season with free agency and the draft still in play which can easily change everything overnight.

Latest posts