Max Unger and 1st for Jimmy Graham and 4th round pick

Hawks46

Reaction score
bigskydoc":13kqg961 said:
Let me get this straight... We just picked up the second best TE in the game, a top ten receiver, in exchange for the worst pick of the 1st round. At the same time we picked up an early 4th round pick for our second weakest remaining offensive lineman, a guy who was on the cusp of getting cut... and people are unhappy about this????

Unger hasn't played at a pro-bowl level for the last two years. He was a respected leader, but he physically isn't our best option at center. That's before we even begin to consider his terrible cost to production ratio. As far as value going into next year I would rank the line Okung >> Sweezy = Britt > Unger > Bailey. The same people who claim that our offensive line is so terrible are the same people claiming it will be difficult to find superior replacements. Cognitive disconnect? I have said for quite some time that we have an average to slightly above average line in pass pro and a elite line in run blocking. I see no problem finding a replacement player of equal quality.

I am so incredibly happy about this deal. This is exactly what we needed for Russ to progress as an elite QB. Graham is a big bodied, elite target for our soon to be highest paid player, a guy who Russ can trust to get the ball on plays where he needs to dump it off on a 2-3 second drop back. He is going to open up the field for the rest of our receivers, and for the dual headed rushing attack.

Love this trade. Love this signing. If it weren't for the fact that the Saints have to shed contracts like a $20 stripper shedding clothes, I would call this highway robbery.

Giphy

Happydance1

- bsd RPA

Lol, you can't make everyone happy, right BSD ?

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3qetcvuc said:
Aw crap. Crap, crap, crap. I knew I was right to be worried! Skip Bayless loves this trade.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/575750914243342336[/tweet]

They like it a little too much.

[youtube]5_KeTkXa0k0[/youtube]

Hawks46

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3a8aijhx said:
dontbelikethat":3a8aijhx said:
Seahawk Sailor":3a8aijhx said:
Aw crap. Crap, crap, crap. I knew I was right to be worried! Skip Bayless loves this trade.

Not as much as the guy on the Bleacher report who went on to say because of this trade the Seahawks are going to challenge the 72' Dolphins undefeated season.... blurrrrch!

Come on, it's an obvious great pickup for the Seahawks so it's easy for the media to do their thing and build it up. The reason they are doing so, is that they think Graham is a great player.

He had a rough year this last year, true.

But does anyone consider that part of that is because the Saints defense fell apart?

Saints offense scored 13 less points last year than they did the year before.

But their defense GAVE UP 120 MORE points!!!!!

So instead of playing with a lead and executing a solid gameplan, Brees was playing constantly behind and under siege, and every defense knew that he was going to throw it at Graham.

When you are playing at a distinct disadvantage like that, of course your numbers are going to go down and you aren't going to look as good.

Does anyone around here actually know the game of football? Good grief.

Well, it's also been documented that Graham played through a foot injury for most of the season. He went for 80 catches, 885 yards and 10 TDs, and that is considered an off year for him. The ypc is only 10, which is low for him and most likely explained by his gimpy foot. Thing is, with a bad foot, dude still caught 80 balls and 10 TDs.

This is so much better than us getting Thomas. That guy wouldn't even have been on the field with a semi gimpy foot.

netskier

Reaction score
Good point. Comparatively speaking, Thomas is soft and Graham is hard.

sc85sis

Reaction score
How many times have we had to settle for field goals because we didn't have a red zone threat? That problem likely has been solved.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
wizard1183":7163013x said:
You guys should win your division, but Lynch probably won't run for 1000+ yrs this yr. He's a beast, but he's due for a set back. And statistically, SB losers fall back in every category and no, the seahawks are not better than statistics, They are in those statistics.

[youtube]G2y8Sx4B2Sk[/youtube]

You should take a statistics class sometime. The fact that the Seahawks lost in the Superbowl has no power in and of itself to predict whether they can make it back next year.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Jimmy Graham will be like Jerramy Stevens on crack!

Errrr.... maybe not the best analogy considering the wild road Stevens has traveled. Pardon me, allow me to rephrase... Jimmy Graham will be everything that Jerramy Stevens was supposed to be. And more.

original poster

Reaction score
sc85sis":30ijzxc6 said:
How many times have we had to settle for field goals because we didn't have a red zone threat? That problem likely has been solved.

Exactly the point I made in another thread. You can add 3rd downs into the mix as well!

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
bigskydoc":4iowqn39 said:
Let me get this straight... We just picked up the second best TE in the game, a top ten receiver, in exchange for the worst pick of the 1st round. At the same time we picked up an early 4th round pick for our second weakest remaining offensive lineman, a guy who was on the cusp of getting cut... and people are unhappy about this????

Unger hasn't played at a pro-bowl level for the last two years. He was a respected leader, but he physically isn't our best option at center. That's before we even begin to consider his terrible cost to production ratio. As far as value going into next year I would rank the line Okung >> Sweezy = Britt > Unger > Bailey. The same people who claim that our offensive line is so terrible are the same people claiming it will be difficult to find superior replacements. Cognitive disconnect? I have said for quite some time that we have an average to slightly above average line in pass pro and a elite line in run blocking. I see no problem finding a replacement player of equal quality.

I am so incredibly happy about this deal. This is exactly what we needed for Russ to progress as an elite QB. Graham is a big bodied, elite target for our soon to be highest paid player, a guy who Russ can trust to get the ball on plays where he needs to dump it off on a 2-3 second drop back. He is going to open up the field for the rest of our receivers, and for the dual headed rushing attack.

Love this trade. Love this signing. If it weren't for the fact that the Saints have to shed contracts like a $20 stripper shedding clothes, I would call this highway robbery.

Giphy

Happydance1

- bsd RPA

amen, reverend. agree 100%

all these cats think i overvalue the center position, but every position has its place, its own value. center just isnt too high on the hierarchy of football positions. of course you want somebody that can atleast do the job there. but replacing a broken down max unger at center is 100x easier than acquiring rare, proven receiving talent like jimmy graham. we are talking about a receiving weapon that has some insane attributes: 6'7" tall, 35" arms, 38.5" vertical, attacks the ball, fiery competitor, chip on his shoulder, massive production, a huge mismatch for anyone he's up against... and he's in the prime of his career. even if unger was still an elite center, this is a good trade. in terms of impact, elite receiving weapons >>>> elite centers, its really just not very close.

in the case of unger, personally i think its actually addition by subtraction. its time to get younger, cheaper and healthier at that spot. sure he had a bit of value because he knows our offense so well, but he has a bloated salary and he's missed what, 13 games these last 2 years and when he actually has been on the field he's been a shadow of his former self. a big part of successful offensive line play is continuity on the line, and thats not going to happen when the same guys are consistently going down. also, lets not forget that last season he was becoming a liablity with so many off his terrible snaps in prime time. he's fast on the decline.

im more worried about fixing the 4 year hole at LG and okung getting through a season without missing games at a way more important spot, LT. we were going to have to replace unger sooner than later, and this was a great excuse to do so. the saints can have our baggage :evil: . some people will cling to the negatives of any story because thats their persona. this is a bargain for that rare, proven player that the hawks SORELY needed, and it fell right into our laps. hawk fans should all be happy with this. its just amazing that some won't let them selves be :roll:

jake206

Reaction score
FYI: Things still could go south. Unger has to pass his physical.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Rob12":35fflryk said:
Has Graham commented on the trade at all?

Not that I've seen yet however his bio has been changed from "Traded" to "Seattle Seahawk! Private Pilot" :th2thumbs:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":1tr6wtf7 said:
Seahawk Sailor":1tr6wtf7 said:

I think they are overselling this a bit. Especially the Super Bowl favorites part. We have a new D-Coordinator, lost a few pieces, and our secondary will be going into the season fresh off recovery and a bit banged up.

The Defense is going to be taking a step back, most likely. Still great, but probably not #1 again.

Yes, the Offense will improve with Graham. But these guys are getting a bit carried away with the "undisputed Super Bowl favorites" stuff. Still a lot of factors in play.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
NYCoug":u3jdyoom said:
Jimmy Graham will be like Jerramy Stevens on crack!

Errrr.... maybe not the best analogy considering the wild road Stevens has traveled. Pardon me, allow me to rephrase... Jimmy Graham will be everything that Jerramy Stevens was supposed to be. And more.

This I can agree with. He will be the weapon Stevens should have been.

byau

Reaction score
hawkfan68":26vybrvl said:
The perception Graham is soft is way overblown. He's plenty tough. He uses his stiff arm effectively and runs through plenty of tackles to prove his toughness. He was soft against the Seahawks (who arguably is the most physical team in the NFL). Seahawks have made quite a number of players look soft. Can't hold that against Graham. Besides he won't be facing the Seahawk defense on Sunday for the foreseeable future. He adds the things that are needed on this team, a big target, good route runner, and makes catches. Plus he's a proven veteran.

If your exposure is the games he had against the Seahawks, yes I can see how you'd say he's soft. Same as if you only saw Luke Willson in only a few games this year, you might think he's the best player in the NFL

I have a feeling he is plenty tough, but maybe not at the Gronkoski level. But let's see if the mood of the LOB is infections. Objectively speaking, I can see how some people might think he's a "bully", but on the other side, there really aren't many people bigger than he is either

Some "research" material:

2013-2014 highlights (actual highlights start 2min45s. ..and p.s. check out 5min09s)

[youtube]L9oDhyd-U8E[/youtube]

2014-2015 highlights

[youtube]NMgC6YyLKgM[/youtube]

Top 100 Players Tribute from 2014

[youtube]IZoNFSPpvas[/youtube]

Sure these are highlights so of course he'll look good, but that is some really good elite playing there. And also what strikes me is how easy he can actually dunk it over the goal post, bringing back memories of Malcolm Smith's failed attempt in the SB. That guy is definitely tall, coordinated, and has some monster reach.

Basis4day

Reaction score
"Wherever Russell is going I am going" - Graham to Pete yesterday about this offseason.

Rangers camp, Children's Hospital, and Hermosa Beach.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Blitzer88":wpwud9xz said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/576102013341073408[/tweet]
Basis4day":wpwud9xz said:
"Wherever Russell is going I am going" - Graham to Pete yesterday about this offseason.

Rangers camp, Children's Hospital, and Hermosa Beach.

Ugh. Sure enough this is already becoming a disaster.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Basis4day":1kjfstji said:

No single sentence could make me feel better about this deal than that one.