Max Unger and 1st for Jimmy Graham and 4th round pick

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":16ktz41c said:
Scottemojo":16ktz41c said:
I don't know how Graham can be our 31, which still leaves us with the net loss of a center. I see it as Unger for Graham, and a 4th for a 1st.

Truth is, I don't have a huge problem with the thinking behind the trade. What I hate is all the revising going on around here though. Unger all the sudden got shitty, and Graham lost his warts. The hole at center will be easy to fill, CUZ CABLE! and Bevell is going to be good in the red zone, CUZ GRAHAM! There is a thread filled with predictions of 800 to 1000 yards and 10-14 TDs. Never mind that Zach Miller averaged 56 passes caught per year in Oakland, and 25 in Seattle. Hell, there are predictions that he will learn to block now. Like Helfet and Wilson did, I guess.

Netters gonna net. You don't need to hide behind that to say you don't like the trade.

If 2013 and 2014 never happened, I would probably feel the exact same way you do about this swap. But as things stand, I think Unger was probably one more injury away from being cut.
It's not a hate/love the trade issue for me. It's about my list of concerns. Which grew. O-line instability with potentially two very inexperienced players at LG and C is a concern. Our OC not being able to maximize his weapons is a concern. I can't project what will happen nearly so well as I can see what has already happened. The facts say that Percy got twice as many yards per catch in New York as here. Miller caught less than half as many passes in Seattle as Oakland. Rice caught way less in Seattle, and Tate caught 99 balls after leaving our offense. History suggests thinking Graham will do anything close to what he did in a pass happy offense in NO is a pipe dream. Which dramatically affects his value. Pass catchers in Seattle simply do not have the value here they have elsewhere. Unless they make a big change to the offense, which when tried last year was an abysmal failure.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":6wtgsm0j said:
"What good is our 6'7" TE if Russell can't even get him the ball before being sacked!"

This is what has me most concerned. The most important thing for a team with a QB that is on the shorter side of things is to have good interior pass pro, now granted we did not have great interior pass pro to begin with, but we are now looking to replace 2 of the 3 interior lineman positions and the options out there are not much better then what we had.

Largent80

Reaction score
I don't think running continuous jet sweeps and bubble screens to Harvin helped his numbers here.

Having a proven guy that is tall, has great hands and is experienced is a nice get, regardless of draft capital.

We ARE a running team, but there is no reason for us to not try a new wrinkle here and there.

We haven't had o-line continuity for many years now. It just doesn't seem to matter to THIS team.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Blitzer88":13irtby2 said:
Seahawk Sailor":13irtby2 said:
"What good is our 6'7" TE if Russell can't even get him the ball before being sacked!"

This is what has me most concerned. The most important thing for a team with a QB that is on the shorter side of things is to have good interior pass pro, now granted we did not have great interior pass pro to begin with, but we are now looking to replace 2 of the 3 interior lineman positions and the options out there are not much better then what we had.

Graham is pretty much always openm, just lob him the ball, watch his highlight videos, he win most of his jump balls. Imagine how Chris Matthews played in the Superbowl and times that by 10, he was never really open or had what they called a clean separation, he just got up and get it.

I'm always worried about Wilson getting sacked but shoot he can buy time for someone to throw to, and you know when this happens they will end up trying to double team graham meaning someone will be open more often than not.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Largent80":392hovqh said:
I don't think running continuous jet sweeps and bubble screens to Harvin helped his numbers here.

Having a proven guy that is tall, has great hands and is experienced is a nice get, regardless of draft capital.

We ARE a running team, but there is no reason for us to not try a new wrinkle here and there.

We haven't had o-line continuity for many years now. It just doesn't seem to matter to THIS team.

Man i miss BMW the first year. This has me drooling.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":hhjbu8l3 said:
It's not a hate/love the trade issue for me. It's about my list of concerns. Which grew. O-line instability with potentially two very inexperienced players at LG and C is a concern. Our OC not being able to maximize his weapons is a concern. I can't project what will happen nearly so well as I can see what has already happened. The facts say that Percy got twice as many yards per catch in New York as here. Miller caught less than half as many passes in Seattle as Oakland. Rice caught way less in Seattle, and Tate caught 99 balls after leaving our offense. History suggests thinking Graham will do anything close to what he did in a pass happy offense in NO is a pipe dream. Which dramatically affects his value. Pass catchers in Seattle simply do not have the value here they have elsewhere. Unless they make a big change to the offense, which when tried last year was an abysmal failure.

Right, I'm not trying to make this black and white. Just sayin'

I don't think Unger had much time left in Seattle. I also think one of his backups, Lewis, is promising. And the other (FA) backup, LMJ, is passable for Cable. There's the draft, too, where top centers frequently are drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I said a few minutes ago that this trade is basically the equivalent of the #40 overall plus Max Unger for Graham. Max Unger himself was drafted after Seattle dealt away their #37 for a future first that became Earl Thomas. Their next pick wasn't until #68 overall. Sound familiar? TR then dealt that #68 and their #105 picks to move up and get Unger in the mid-2nd. (The 2nd round of that draft was a rare moment of TR glory). The situation Unger was drafted in is very similar to the situation Seattle has put themselves in after this Graham trade. Seattle has plenty of draft ammo to move up and get a young guy they might have targeted to replace Unger anyway. Sure, it's rare for Seattle to move up, but they've never had even close to this many picks at the start before.

Whether it is a draft pick or Lewis or LMJ, experience comes with playing time for those guys. It needed to happen eventually, unless you think Unger was viable long term, which I personally doubt. I think this FO doubted it to, hence the trade.

I don't think this was a case of the Saints wretching Unger from a desperate Hawks org, but a case of Seattle selling high on a player they had planned to phase out anyway. Seattle could have kept Carp pretty easily, and they could have traded an extra pick instead of Unger. But they didn't, and not because they are idiots, but because they are thinking about life in 2016 and 2017 as well as 2015. I suspect that Seattle had been shopping Unger before this trade, or at the very minimum had discussed the idea internally.

And it's just my opinion, which is of extremely limited value, but I personally think Lewis and Bailey are already at a solid starter level.

Wilson is going to take a few extra insta-sacks without Unger's line calls. But as long as that does not result in major injury for Wilson, and past history suggests it is very unlikely, it's only going to be a minor detriment. Seattle won it all with abysmal pass protection for most of the season in 2013, and I don't expect 2015 to be nearly that bad (barring injury).

Regarding Graham, he's probably not going to break 1000 yards next season. But I think he's going to fix a lot of problems on 3rd down and in the red zone. And he's going to dumb down the offense enough for Bevell to look smart. That alone makes him worth the price.

netskier

Reaction score
Nearly, I read that JS called NO to shop Unger, and not to ask about Graham. NO offered a WR, and JS then asked about Graham.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Kip, wait a minute here. Your thoughts are usually spot on, but that last post is a head-scratcher. This is essentially what it sounds like you're saying:

Unger was on the way out because he's suddenly not a great player. But without the play and leadership he brings, Russell is going to be sacked more times. What's a few more sacks on your star quarterback, anyway? But that's all okay because we just traded for a superstar receiver who probably won't even break a thousand yards next season.

That sounds even worse than I'm making this trade out to be.

pmedic920

Reaction score
kearly":3dbvxjml said:
Anyone else think of the 3 WR set on 2nd and goal from the 1 after hearing about the Graham trade? This deal feels like a reaction to that final play.

My first thought was, at least we will have a target to THROW at when we have 1st and goal on the one.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3i6qrjbd said:
I don't know how Graham can be our 31, which still leaves us with the net loss of a center. I see it as Unger for Graham, and a 4th for a 1st.

Truth is, I don't have a huge problem with the thinking behind the trade. What I hate is all the revising going on around here though. Unger all the sudden got shitty, and Graham lost his warts. The hole at center will be easy to fill, CUZ CABLE! and Bevell is going to be good in the red zone, CUZ GRAHAM! There is a thread filled with predictions of 800 to 1000 yards and 10-14 TDs. Never mind that Zach Miller averaged 56 passes caught per year in Oakland, and 25 in Seattle. Hell, there are predictions that he will learn to block now. Like Helfet and Wilson did, I guess.
When you miss 13 games in 2 seasons you already have a hole at Center...

Laloosh

Reaction score
pmedic920":2dt565ci said:
kearly":2dt565ci said:
Anyone else think of the 3 WR set on 2nd and goal from the 1 after hearing about the Graham trade? This deal feels like a reaction to that final play.

My first thought was, at least we will have a target to THROW at when we have 1st and goal on the one.
quoting you but speaking to Kearly's comment so I don't have to copy/paste on my phone.

Given JS's attempt to trade for Thomas last year, it seems less reactionary to the SB than a continuing effort to land a TE to me.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3v8bwjic said:
Kip, wait a minute here. Your thoughts are usually spot on, but that last post is a head-scratcher. This is essentially what it sounds like you're saying:

Unger was on the way out because he's suddenly not a great player. But without the play and leadership he brings, Russell is going to be sacked more times. What's a few more sacks on your star quarterback, anyway? But that's all okay because we just traded for a superstar receiver who probably won't even break a thousand yards next season.

Kearly didn't say that Unger wasn't a great player, he said that the FO was going to trade him anyways because they were thinking of the future of the cap salary for the future. Our backups were playing well enough last year that we didn't need to extend him after this year, and if we could get a star receiver in a trade then it was better right now to get it before Unger's contract had ended.

Sure Wilson will get more sacked or he might not, I'm hoping they put more emphases on quicker passes this year so they can minimize it.

For me it's all about TD and Kearly probably meant something like that. That's what we brought Graham in for. TD's that we couldn't produce in the redzone last year we now have someone who can get us those.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Laloosh":39cdt6qs said:
pmedic920":39cdt6qs said:
kearly":39cdt6qs said:

quoting you but speaking to Kearly's comment so I don't have to copy/paste on my phone.

Given JS's attempt to trade for Thomas last year, it seems less reactionary to the SB than a continuing effort to land a TE to me.

They have been going after this role for a while now. BMW has very similar measurable (I know he is a WR, but he's blocked more than Graham ever has). They also had Kellen Davis and Evan Moore on the roster. They tried out Kellen Winslow Jr. They tried to get Julius Thomas and Jordan Cameron last year and this year.

I was never on board with the idea of a huge #1 WR is essential as essential, but it is clearly something that the FO does want. The opportunity presented itself and they pulled the trigger.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1zcj27qy said:
kearly":1zcj27qy said:
Scottemojo":1zcj27qy said:
Yes, but did he have 63 players with a 1 and 2 grade?

That doesn't really refute Sailor's point though. His point is that Seattle sold what is functionally a #2 pick for #1 value. And he's right. Good moneyball move by JS.

My point was that it might have been better to trade what is essentially a #1 pick where #2 value is found in this year's draft for a #2 pick where we can still get that #2 value, plus additional picks with it, possibly future years' picks, which could be higher valued than ones in this draft. That would have been a great moneyball move by JS, especially considering we essentially need to draft an entire starting offensive line.

Maybe the Saints had an offer from another team offering their second round pick, so if the Seahawks really wanted him they had to give up their first round pick. It seems that you think John Schneider is too stupid to have tried what you are suggesting. Do you really believe that there wasn't a team offering their second round pick for Jimmy Graham? Every GM makes mistakes, but I believe that our GM deserves a bit more credit than to think he just lazily goes about making trades. I would think by now he would have earned a little more respect from you.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2h3ewlbf said:
kearly":2h3ewlbf said:
Scottemojo":2h3ewlbf said:
Yes, but did he have 63 players with a 1 and 2 grade?

That doesn't really refute Sailor's point though. His point is that Seattle sold what is functionally a #2 pick for #1 value. And he's right. Good moneyball move by JS.

My point was that it might have been better to trade what is essentially a #1 pick where #2 value is found in this year's draft for a #2 pick where we can still get that #2 value, plus additional picks with it, possibly future years' picks, which could be higher valued than ones in this draft. That would have been a great moneyball move by JS, especially considering we essentially need to draft an entire starting offensive line.

That's fair but consider this.

How good of a shot do those later round picks have at making the team? It was one thing when we were drafting the Kams, Shermans and KJ's but much of he corp roster is set.

Now i disagreed with this at the time (and still do), but many fans were advocating trying to move up in the draft in order to select unproven players that would have a better shot at making the team based on upside. Instead, We used our number 1 pick to get a proven playmaker in the NFL heading into a draft where the TE class is rumored to be weak.

As to the offensive line. We have tons of midround picks and there is good depth at the o-line in this draft. That is a position where players have a legitimate shot at making the team.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
rideaducati":qafbbytj said:
Maybe the Saints had an offer from another team offering their second round pick, so if the Seahawks really wanted him they had to give up their first round pick. It seems that you think John Schneider is too stupid to have tried what you are suggesting. Do you really believe that there wasn't a team offering their second round pick for Jimmy Graham? Every GM makes mistakes, but I believe that our GM deserves a bit more credit than to think he just lazily goes about making trades. I would think by now he would have earned a little more respect from you.

No, I'm not hacking on John Schneider for it. I don't think he's too stupid to have tried what I'm suggesting. He is in fact quite a brilliant strategist, and I've said so many times myself. There may also have been another team that raised the stakes. I'm not saying he was stupid to make the move--not by any stretch of the imagination. I am saying it's potentially a lot more to pay than many here are thinking. I am saying that we're gonna pay the piper on the offensive line now, and that doing so with an already league-bad offensive line could be disastrous. I am saying that whatever our long-term strategy was with Max Unger, we have created a much bigger liability from an already-established problem area in return for getting a great set of hands.

Of course, we could draft the offensive line equivalents of Sherman and Maxwell and Chancellor this go-'round. Haven't yet done so in four years, but it could happen.

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1yajd97j said:

Unger is out because he couldn't stay healthy and he was costing the team significant money. Unger isn't suddenly anything, he hasn't been healthy since 2012. When healthy he's good, and he'll be good for the Saints if he's healthy for them. But given that Unger has been injured for three out of Pete's five years here, I think he ran out of rope.

Adding a small handful of sacks over a season is just not that big a deal. As long as it is just a few. Which IMO, is what I expect to happen. Lewis and Bailey are far from terrible, and trending towards good. Seattle's sack rate next year will be worse than 2014's, but it will be close.

I don't measure a skill player's value by yards, but by contribution per play, and ability to impact a defense (assuming he stays healthy and plays a lot of games). LeVeon Bell had more yards than Lynch last year. Who cares. Fourteen QBs had more passing yards than Wilson last year. Who cares. Graham won't put up video game numbers, but he will have a profound impact on the offense in the areas where Seattle needed help the most.

Pete isn't about racking up yards, he's about racking up wins. Yet he still paid well for a stat king. That should tell you that Pete thinks Graham is going to help this team win.