Matt Flynn's future

Status
Not open for further replies.

edogg23

Reaction score
Not sure why all the hate against someone who has not had the opportunity to win or lose a game yet for us yet.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pinksheets":kr9dtrog said:
scutterhawk":kr9dtrog said:
And "Good Offenses" should be able to take advantage of teams like the SF 49rs too eh?
We're on the journey, but we're not there yet.
And IF JS & PC picked Flynn because of that scenario?, then it was a dumb move on their part , because they spent multi million$ to get Flynn when they didn't need to.
It's not the reason they signed him, but it is the reason everybody is clamoring for him like he's the second coming.

If Flynn just stays as our back up, he's being paid only marginally more than TJack and Whitehurst, he is not on some unprecedented huge contract. The deal is modest and team friendly.
But still more than they needed to spend for a backup, when all they really had to do is keep Jackson, and save a few million.
They signed Flynn because they thought that he just might have been the QB they saw as the best option they had to upgrade over Jackson.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Saying "we run a WCO" is like saying "my car uses unleaded gasoline". Well, no kidding, almost everyone does.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
edogg23":13nmng1d said:
Not sure why all the hate against someone who has not had the opportunity to win or lose a game for us yet.
There really isn't a GOOD reason, just good for an arguement, that's all.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3ivdkbew said:
RichNhansom":3ivdkbew said:
Good offense against awful secondaries is the reason Flynn was a talked about free agent.: Quote:

there is a big difference between Detroit's secondary where Flynn put up 480 yards and 6 TD's vs a much worse secondary where Wilson put up 293 yards and 3 TD's.

Clearly you've not seen much of a Detroit injury hit secondary.

But that's OK - most people who use that game as the sole basis for an opinion suffer from the same issue.

Please tell me who was injured on that Detroit secondary that was playing for playoff seeding against a team without their #1 WR and #1 RB?
I understand you don't want to remember that Flynn was playing without both but that is ok it is what I expect from people who use that game as a poor example.

pinksheets

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2te8yfcn said:
pinksheets":2te8yfcn said:
scutterhawk":2te8yfcn said:
And "Good Offenses" should be able to take advantage of teams like the SF 49rs too eh?
We're on the journey, but we're not there yet.
And IF JS & PC picked Flynn because of that scenario?, then it was a dumb move on their part , because they spent multi million$ to get Flynn when they didn't need to.
It's not the reason they signed him, but it is the reason everybody is clamoring for him like he's the second coming.

If Flynn just stays as our back up, he's being paid only marginally more than TJack and Whitehurst, he is not on some unprecedented huge contract. The deal is modest and team friendly.
But still more than they needed to spend for a backup, when all they really had to do is keep Jackson, and save a few million.
They signed Flynn because they thought that he just might have been the QB they saw as the best option they had to upgrade over Jackson.
If they thought he might be the QB they saw in the NE/DET games, they don't wait until nobody else moves to sign him, they go get him. They signed him because they thought he very well may represent improvement over the current QB situation, which I think he did at the time.

edogg, there is no hate for Flynn. The only thing that bothers me is that the people pushing to start Flynn offer up "we need to know what we have" which really only means they, personally, want to know, because they don't seem to care what the coaches think. I trust that the coaches have a feel for who is the better option and don't need to waste regular season snaps to find out.

I also don't like the idea that allowing a rookie to develop is some sort of waste of games or a season, when it has to happen at some point. If we're going to be a perennial contender, we are going to have to find a young QB with big upside and develop him, and that's what's going on right now. If that's not acceptable, the only option is signing free agent quarterbacks in the offseason as plug and play options. Though, I think there's little reason to think that would bring success without hiccups as a QB settles in either. That's not how I prefer building a team, though others disagree.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
edogg23":2xaov406 said:
Not sure why all the hate against someone who has not had the opportunity to win or lose a game yet for us yet.

Who hates Matt Flynn?

I think you'll find people just 'hate' this discussion every single time the Seahawks lose... like going 16-0 would've been the only way to justify starting Russell Wilson this year. Flynn lost the job. End of.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3osrhykk said:
Please tell me who was injured on that Detroit secondary that was playing for playoff seeding against a team without their #1 WR and #1 RB?
I understand you don't want to remember that Flynn was playing without both but that is ok it is what I expect from people who use that game as a poor example.

Google 'Matt Flynn banged up Detroit secondary' and there are articles referencing injuries (EG http://www.kingshighschool.net/GRUGEN-N ... GENCY.html ). It's pretty hard to go back and look at who was/wasn't available, but at the time I remember Detroit going into that game with issues in the secondary and the articles referencing to it after searching backs up that impression.

As for #1 WR - as far as I'm aware Jordy Nelson played in that game. He was statistically GB's #1 wide out in every way last year. And the Packers have paid lip service to the running game for three years now. They'd probably play me or you at RB. Anyone know off the top of your head who started for GB at running back today? Me neither.

And I'm not using that game as an example. I don't need an example because I was prepared to buy in - 100% - to whatever decision the coaches made. Flynn or Wilson. My position has not changed.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
A cornerback and safety missed time in practice but suited up and played in week 17. Is it a huge surprise that a team getting ready for the playoffs is taking all precautions to be as healthy as humanly possible to go into the playoffs? Probably not especially when both played on Sunday.

Jennings is the Packers #1 receiver. There is no debating that and implying he is not a huge part of Aaron Rogers success is either ignorant or dishonest. Starks was also held out for that game and while he is not as big a threat as Jennings in that system, he was still held out for precautionary reasons to ensure he was as healthy as possible for the playoffs. Again, insinuating that he is no great loss is disingenuous as least.

You can justify all you want but that is all it is, justification. Insinuating that two players in the Lions secondary missing practice time is anywhere near as critical as two key starters missing the game is comparable to saying Wilson's preseason performance tells us more about how good he is then Flynn's games against Detroit or the Patriots. It is just not honest.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Errr.... so they were banged up then? Thank you.

And when has anyone said Jennings hasn't been a huge part of Aaron Rodgers success? I don't recall making that statement. What I do recall saying was Jordy Nelson was statistically the Packers #1 receiver last year. Which he was. Nelson - 68 receptions, 1263 yards and 15 touchdowns. Jennings - 67 receptions, 949 yards, 9 touchdowns. The Packers best receiver last year was Nelson. He played and had a big impact in the game.

Finally, please stop putting words in my mouth. If you actually read my response to you, you'll notice the following: "I'm not using that game as an example. I don't need an example because I was prepared to buy in - 100% - to whatever decision the coaches made. Flynn or Wilson. My position has not changed." So suggesting that I'm trying to compare the Detroit game to anything Wilson has done in pre-season is inaccurate. I'll say it again so you can get it this time. I was happy to roll with whatever decision Pete Carroll and the coaches made. They judged Wilson to be the superior player. I'm trusting that decision because a.) they signed Flynn and b.) they drafted Wilson. They created an open competition. Wilson won. I don't need an argument, an example or evidence to say that I'm simply backing the decision the coaches made. You or anyone else needs evidence to say it's the incorrect decision. And your evidence, quite frankly, is weak as piss.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Sooooo we're really arguing over how exactly how crappy the Lions secondary was? It was gonna be garbage with or without banged up players. Their defense is horrible.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":3f3ckskc said:
Sooooo we're really arguing over how exactly how crappy the Lions secondary was? It was gonna be garbage with or without banged up players. Their defense is horrible.

Yep. The thread jumped the shark four pages ago. Mods...?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":27rz7sjm said:
edogg23":27rz7sjm said:

Who hates Matt Flynn?

I think you'll find people just 'hate' this discussion every single time the Seahawks lose... like going 16-0 would've been the only way to justify starting Russell Wilson this year. Flynn lost the job. End of.

As a player I dislike him. I feel he brings nothing to the table, nothing is unique about his skill set. He is an average QB perfectly meant to be a backup. I feel he has had a poor attitude since week 3 of the preseason, he doesn't seem involved at all. When we signed him I was a little pissed. I was hoping he would go somewhere else but after I saw the money they offered I was ok with the contract. He's not a guy you build a franchise around, not someone who will EVER take a team to a Super Bowl victory and would be someone who would keep the team around 7-9 or 8-8.....which is just frustrating.

I have followed Russell Wilson for years now and was SOOOOO excited when they drafted him. I was even hoping they would reach to the 2nd to pick Wilson. Wilson has it all and Im glad the coaching staff has the balls to go against conventional wisdom and put him in there. Its all ready paying off and will pay off huge as we make a playoff run...hopefully deep into the playoffs.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I wouldn't be the least surprised if Flynn demands a trade in the off season and refuses to come back if not accommodated and I don't believe it would hurt his career one bit, in fact I could see it potentially helping.

To some it probably looks like we are holding Flynn captive and the coaching staff went with their golden boy draft pick. Flynn had no reason to believe he couldn't beat out Jackson and was obviously blind sided by drafting Wilson and inputting him into the competition. He towed the line like a good team mate for the rookies first year but it is now blatantly obvious this FO has no intention of giving him a shot in live action to steal the job away and if he believes he is the better QB and I bet he does, then it should be no surprise he is not willing to give up three years of his life to only get another shot at 30 years old.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1q0cz0kb said:
edogg23":1q0cz0kb said:

Who hates Matt Flynn?

From my perspective, and probably several others, that just isn't true, because as soon as PC announced that Wilson would be the starter, I threw in with the decission, but that does'nt stop the what if, or what might have been had, Flynn been slated the designated driver.
I for one didn't blame Wilson for this loss with the 9rs, as there were too many drops that could very well have changed the outcome of that game.

seedhawk

Reaction score
What part of (Flynn's future is as our back-up Qb until Wilson either gets injured or totally falls off a cliff) do so many people not understand. Pretty good gig for him, especially if he is confident and can produce. No real pressure, if something happens, unless Wilson starts to light things on fire, he gets his chance here and either proves out or doesn't. Pretty damn simple concept.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
seedhawk":3vcqajxr said:
What part of (Flynn's future is as our back-up Qb until Wilson either gets injured or totally falls off a cliff) do so many people not understand. Pretty good gig for him, especially if he is confident and can produce. No real pressure, if something happens, unless Wilson starts to light things on fire, he gets his chance here and either proves out or doesn't. Pretty damn simple concept.

If he's willing to take a MAJOR pay cut at seasons end then Im totally ok with him being the backup. He's good for one game here and there.

CASeahawk

Reaction score
To all the RW apologist. If the roles were reversed and Matt was our starter, would you not be clamoring for RW to start after these types of performances. I know I would. I don't care what QB starts. I just think this situation was so mismanaged, it is almost laughable. To split reps in training camp 3 ways, and preach competition, but ultimately give the job to a rookie, when it would have made sense to start Flynn given the situation. If Flynn struggled, the obvious choice would be to give the rookie a chance. Now we are at the mercy of Pete's ego that this is the right choice, regardless of the level of production. I firmly believe that our receiving troubles are directly linked to RW. There is no flow to the offense, everything looks labored and uneasy. There have been moments, but those are far out weighed by the bad.

With this defense and this running game, we should not be struggling on offense the way we are. It is baffling to me. Tavaris Jackson had a record of 2-5 128-227 1556 yards 6tds and 9 picks after 7 games last year RW is 4 and 3 throwing 104-175 1,230 with 8tds and 7 picks. Last year at this time Marshawn had 262 yards rushing compared to 652 this year and we were relying on Tavaris to win, and our defense to step up but they were giving up way too many points points 197 compared to the 106 that they are giving up this year. I know many Seahawk fans were calling for a change with Tavaris, but this year the Golden child is getting a pass by the majority. What has changed is the running game. When Tavaris had a competent running game he won as shown down the stretch last year. RW is more exciting than Tavaris but his production on the field isn't better but he is getting more credit than he deserves, he just has great running game and a super defense to fall back on. I know there is potential, but at this stage we have Tavaris like production without all the disdain. What would it hurt to see if Flynn could be an up grade to the production we are seeing so far. It will be a sad thing if we never find out.

TCHawk

Reaction score
sam1313":1n8m5ab7 said:
I think he asks for and gets traded to another team. Tough to ask a guy of his talent to stay here as a back-up.

He's not that talented. A 5'10" rookie QB drafted in the third round beat him out for the job. That's not a knock on Wilson either, but that's reality. If he was as talented as some people think he is, he would have won the job, as that's what Carroll brought him in to do. He simply didn't do it which is very telling. He's put up some monster numbers in some meaningless games at the end of the season in GB, but I'm still not impressed.

He is owed nothing. He has earned nothing. I hate to be that callous, but if he was the man for the job, he would have won it. I think Wilson played well in the preseason, but on most teams, he would not be the #1 QB. Flynn proved, to me at least, that he is simply not talented enough to earn a starting spot and lead an NFL team. Maybe he will in the future, but I think it's highly unlikely.

Make no mistake, Pete Carroll wanted him as his starting QB. I envision the conversation going something like this - "Matt, we're bringing you in here to compete and WIN the starting job. We believe you can beat out Jackson... Now go out and win the job." And, he didn't. A rookie QB was drafted, Jackson was traded, and Flynn couldn't separate himself.

He's a career back up at this point. I wouldn't be upset if he was released at the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts