Matt Flynn's future

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
firebee":eznqzirb said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Miami was competing with us for his services and it seems like there was another team or two in the mix as well.

We sent him on off to Miami without a contract.....and they sent him right back. We were the only team to make an offer to him.

aku

Reaction score
I think we trade him in the offseason.
This makes the most sense. We certainly aren't going to cut him. (Even if we couldn't get anything for him, we're not putting $4 million against the cap for a player not on the roster.) But we can't really afford to keep him with a $7.25 million cap hit next season, not if he's just sitting on the bench. And with the number of teams in the league who need a QB, there will probably be at least a small market for him. Chiefs, Jaguars, Jets, maybe even the Raiders, Bills, or Cardinals, all of them need to be looking hard at QB options this offseason.

That's assuming Wilson keeps improving of course. I'm pretty much sold on him, but if he still isn't hitting any timing routes by the end of the season it might be cause to suck it up and hold on to Flynn for another year.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1a3rbgzp said:
T-Sizzle":1a3rbgzp said:
He is not a starting QB in the NFL.

He was in March.

Are you suggesting PC anointed him the starter?

He has played ~16 games in 9 years of football. Just ponder that for a second.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":18l8f2xg said:
Sgt. Largent":18l8f2xg said:
T-Sizzle":18l8f2xg said:
He is not a starting QB in the NFL.

He was in March.

Are you suggesting PC anointed him the starter?

He has played ~16 games in 9 years of football. Just ponder that for a second.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think Flynn was the starter before Wilson was drafted. You think Carroll was gonna start Tavaris after paying Flynn all that money?

If Carroll and Schneider didn't have faith in Matt to be a competent starting QB, then they wouldn't have signed him. I don't downgrade the guy for sitting behind arguably two of the greatest QB's in the history of the sport. It's not like he sat for five years in Oakland.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Who cares? He's a back up QB. He was back up in GB and he's the back up now. Chances are pretty high he'll be the beck up next year too. Not saying he can't ball, but he's not. Anything, anyone has to say about Matt Flynn is pointless right now.

Personally, I don't care who starts for Seattle, it's not like the O-line is going to miraculously be able to lock down the right side or the WR will all of a sudden have a legit report with the starter. Until one or both of those things happen, the passing game in Seattle is merely a back burner issue, let it be. I blame the stupid QB competition during the preseason on the lack of chemistry the offensive unit has.

You know what I do care about, this defense playing lights out, feeding the beast, and getting WINS the way this team is built to get them.

schkoot

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":11salb9a said:
schkoot":11salb9a said:
T-Sizzle":11salb9a said:
His future is backup QB or third string QB. He is not a starting QB in the NFL. There is nothing he does that is special except hold a clipboard. Allowing a rookie 3rd round QB to beat him out was as much telling of him as RW. It also says a lot that nobody was lining up for his services. He will probably be back in Green Bay next year if I had to guess. We will cut him at seasons end.

In the NFL you "deserve" nothing. You earn everything and he hasn't earned a chance to see the field on the Seahawks. You see Clipboard Jesus? Him and Flynn are the same. The only reason Hawk fans like him is they originally talked themselves into him being Matt 2.0, bought his jersey, only to see him lose his job.

Haha!

The thing that cracks me up about this whole thing is that BOTH sides of the debate extrapolate so much from so little data.

I guess Flynn sucks now because he a) never beat Aaron Rodgers out of his job, and b) didn't look good in preseason. Preseason is what really matters--forget about his record setting games in GB.

CONSPICUOUSLY MISSING SENTENCE GOES HERE

Saying Flynn sucks is pretty flippin' laughable, though.

Just using the fact that he wasn't a hot commodity in free agency, he was a 7th round pick, and he failed to win the job in Seattle. Those are all decisions made my NFL front office people and coaches....not fans. So if you want to question front office people and feel like they don't know anything, PC and JS don't know anything....then go for it. Facts are facts though and I trust the judgement of front office people over fans all day.

Nice job redacting my post to make it look like I said something I didn't.

Let's just break this down to brass tacks... Just because Wilson is good doesn't mean Flynn is bad. How hard is that to understand?

It's also disingenuous to not factor in Peyton Manning with regards to Flynn, and also not factor in Wilson being picked in the third round.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":uzfcfi8o said:
You're kidding yourself if you don't think Flynn was the starter before Wilson was drafted.

If Flynn was a starter, then why was Wilson drafted?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":19pdwken said:
Sgt. Largent":19pdwken said:
You're kidding yourself if you don't think Flynn was the starter before Wilson was drafted.

:13: People who think Flynn was the starter probably didn't listen to PC and paid too much attention to the media.

schkoot

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1zeuhw7q said:
Sgt. Largent":1zeuhw7q said:

Because they knew they were going to trade T-Jack?

pinksheets

Reaction score
schkoot":3snu1cmm said:
MontanaHawk05":3snu1cmm said:
Sgt. Largent":3snu1cmm said:

Because they knew they were going to trade T-Jack?
They knew they were moving TJack for a conditional 7th?

CASeahawk

Reaction score
The saddest thing about it is we may never find out until it's too late. Russell was terrible yesterday, i know there were some bad drops, but 9-23, almost everything to the right, at least two of those completions were dump-offs, and his good throws were totally out numbered by his bad. I was at the game and he was consistently locked into the right side of the field, missing some very open receivers on the other. I firmly believe we would have a better record right now with Flynn. We keep cutting Russell so much slack because he is a rookie, but he is the reason for these loses. The receiver production is down because of him and his pocket awareness. The receivers are always having to work back, because he is so skittish in the pocket. He does at time have those "wow" throwing moments, but he has made everybodies job harder from the oline to the receivers. We may have kept the offense intact from last year, but everybody had to change the way they play to cater to RW's style.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":234x2vi7 said:
Sgt. Largent":234x2vi7 said:

Why team wouldn't want to add QB depth? Especially one with a horrible starting QB (Jackson), and a recently signed unproven free agent?

Even teams with elite QB's draft QB's later in the draft for depth and development. Doesn't mean you make him your starter because he was awesome against 3rd and 4th string pre-season defenses.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1kdnrpno said:
MontanaHawk05":1kdnrpno said:
Sgt. Largent":1kdnrpno said:

Why team wouldn't want to add QB depth? Especially one with a horrible starting QB (Jackson), and a recently signed unproven free agent?

Even teams with elite QB's draft QB's later in the draft for depth and development. Doesn't mean you make him your starter because he was awesome against 3rd and 4th string pre-season defenses.

I feel sorry for you. You are missing out on something special .... why? Im guessing you just don't want to admit you were wrong on an internet message board. It really shouldn't matter. Im just wondering how long you will keep it up. We have 10-15 years of something special at QB in Wilson and some just don't want to accept it. So strange.....as a long time Seattle Sports fan I would think people would be all about it and support Wilson like crazy. Maybe some just can't see it yet...

pinksheets

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":325jml6h said:
MontanaHawk05":325jml6h said:
Sgt. Largent":325jml6h said:

Adding QB depth is what they were doing when they signed Flynn. It was obvious from the get go that they weren't super charged to go get him, they signed him for a modest deal after his market proved nonexistent as a guy who represented what was likely improvement at QB and something to fall back on if they couldn't get their guy in the draft.

Turns out they got their guy in the draft, he played like they hoped, and they rolled with him. Flynn may have been the presumed starter by default by a lot of fans, but I don't think Pete and John high fived after the signing and said "we got our guy!"

Rat

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2q41v0u5 said:
Sgt. Largent":2q41v0u5 said:

Wilson plays a premier position and the GM of this team believes in taking a QB in every draft. In this one, they were able to find a QB they loved for a 3rd rounder, a low price for a quality QB. It turned out that Wilson was ready sooner than expected.

Heck, the Broncos drafted Brock Osweiler in the second round. I don't think they made that pick with the plan of starting him ahead of Peyton Manning.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
It doesn't make any difference who the starter is, Flynn, Wilson, whoever, until the offensive line can start blocking top end D lineman during passing plays, it won't make any difference at all.

Go back and watch the Niners game during passing plays, it was embarrassing as to how many times one of our O lineman got blown up one on one,, simply pathetic.

Just my .02

GO HAWKS!!!

SonicHawk

Reaction score
12HawkFan":2jbwcnhu said:
It doesn't make any difference who the starter is, Flynn, Wilson, whoever, until the offensive line can start blocking top end D lineman during passing plays, it won't make any difference at all.

Go back and watch the Niners game during passing plays, it was embarrassing as to how many times one of our O lineman got blown up one on one,, simply pathetic.

Just my .02

GO HAWKS!!!

All of our passing plays were plays that needed time to develop. I don't know why we didn't do what the 49ers did in their TD drive. Quick 5-8 yard passes.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2x1vpovh said:
12HawkFan":2x1vpovh said:

Just my .02

GO HAWKS!!!

All of our passing plays were plays that needed time to develop. I don't know why we didn't do what the 49ers did in their TD drive. Quick 5-8 yard passes.

From my observations it was the play calling as most of the deep balls that didn't end up connecting had nothing being set up short, it was either try a surprise running play that most likely would have been a short or no gain or throw a bomb.

GO HAWKS!!!

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Teams had a chance to sign this guy in free agency and his market was ice-cold. He should thank the Seahawks for a big pay day and a shot to start because who else was going to do it? Nobody called him for days... his old coach in Miami didn't exactly bang the table for him. The NFL looked at Matt Flynn and decided they'd go in a different direction. The Seahawks took advantage of a situation working in their favour. I'm not sure his stock has been enhanced by not winning the job in Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.