Matt Flynn sucks

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
seahawk2k":3l4kw67v said:
Funny how the guy gets beat out of a job by a rare, transcendent player, and people dog on him all the time.

I mean...this season says a lot. He gets beat out for the starting job in Oakland, then when he gets to play because of an injury, Oakland's immediate response is to cut him. Not just make him a backup or a third-stringer, but cut him.

Then he goes to Buffalo, presumably to at least be in the spot above Jeff Tuel on the depth chart. By the time the Bills have to use someone in that spot, they go with Tuel. Tuel plays pretty badly...and Buffalo's response is to cut Matt Flynn.

These are awful teams that deemed within weeks that he shouldn't even be allowed in the building. It's hard to think that he's very good.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2sum880w said:
seahawk2k":2sum880w said:
Funny how the guy gets beat out of a job by a rare, transcendent player, and people dog on him all the time.

I mean...this season says a lot. He gets beat out for the starting job in Oakland, then when he gets to play because of an injury, Oakland's immediate response is to cut him. Not just make him a backup or a third-stringer, but cut him.

Then he goes to Buffalo, presumably to at least be in the spot above Jeff Tuel on the depth chart. By the time the Bills have to use someone in that spot, they go with Tuel. Tuel plays pretty badly...and Buffalo's response is to cut Matt Flynn.

These are awful teams that deemed within weeks that he shouldn't even be allowed in the building. It's hard to think that he's very good.

I didn't make any argument whatsoever that he is very good. I don't get why people seem to mock and root for him to fail like he slighted the Seahawks in some way.

Jville

Reaction score
Maybe the Cowboys should trade for Matt Flynn.

Axx

Reaction score
DavidSeven":ne3ihhv2 said:
Dallas has thrown the ball something like 50 times in a game they were leading 26-3 at halftime.

How does Garrett have a job?

garrett doesn't call any plays.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Why are they not running the ball in the possession before the last one, especially when Murray has run well all day (134 yds. on 18 carries)? HORRIBLE play calling! And Choko does it yet again!!!!

ivotuk

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":cegdi7ma said:
seahawk2k":cegdi7ma said:

Think about what you are saying here, do you really believe Oakland makes good decisions? They also got rid of Carson Palmer.

Then he goes to the bills with zero time in their system, so he's already at a huge disadvantage and EJ is coming back.

So those two teams decisions really tell me nothing about how well flynn has been playing.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Axx":o3eay7ge said:
DavidSeven":o3eay7ge said:
Dallas has thrown the ball something like 50 times in a game they were leading 26-3 at halftime.

He's not the play-caller, but it still falls on him if an entire offensive strategy for a half fails so badly. Individual play-calls are one thing, but he can and should obviously overrule losing football strategy.

Jville

Reaction score
:34853_doh: Dez Bryant made his patented early departure from the field.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":102d63of said:
Axx":102d63of said:
DavidSeven":102d63of said:

He's not the play-caller, but it still falls on him if an entire offensive strategy for a half fails so badly. Individual play-calls are one thing, but he can and should obviously overrule losing football strategy.
And not running Murray down their throat on the 2nd to last possession was losing football strategy.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
ivotuk":1j04fak5 said:
Think about what you are saying here, do you really believe Oakland makes good decisions? They also got rid of Carson Palmer.

Then he goes to the bills with zero time in their system, so he's already at a huge disadvantage and EJ is coming back.

So those two teams decisions really tell me nothing about how well flynn has been playing.

Ummm, well I don't think getting rid of Carson Palmer is the worst thing, no. The point is that Oakland had spent draft capital on him in the trade with us, had to sort of want him to win the job, and he didn't come all that close.

As for Buffalo, Thad Lewis stepped in with zero time in their system and played kinda sorta halfway well, so I guess I'm not sure I give him that as an excuse either.

I don't think multiple NFL teams outright cut you in a season if they see much value in you. He seems to be a borderline backup/maybe a #3.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Axx":23n1rqfx said:
DavidSeven":23n1rqfx said:

Uh, he's the head coach and an offensive guy. This is on him. If he can't overrule his OC, what is he even doing there?

kf3339

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2krqm9ik said:
ivotuk":2krqm9ik said:

Ummm, well I don't think getting rid of Carson Palmer is the worst thing, no. The point is that Oakland had spent draft capital on him in the trade with us, had to sort of want him to win the job, and he didn't come all that close.

As for Buffalo, Thad Lewis stepped in with zero time in their system and played kinda sorta halfway well, so I guess I'm not sure I give him that as an excuse either.

I don't think multiple NFL teams outright cut you in a season if they see much value in you. He seems to be a borderline backup/maybe a #3.

Borderline backups/#3 QB's don't win that game against Dallas with that 2nd half comeback win.

I really don't understand the negative comments about Flynn on this board. We didn't trade any picks for him. We got a 5th round pick for him from Oakland, and the contract he signed wasn't that large for a mid level QB starter. Just because Oakland and Buffalo didn't figure out a way to use him means nothing to me. Especially considering how pathetic both teams look after he was let go.

The reality is that he is a quality 2nd string QB that with the right situation could probably be a bottom third starter in this league. But truth be told he is back where he needs to stay, and with his last two game performance I think that is exactly what will happen. To me he has cemented his place as the #2 behind Rogers for several years to come. Good for him.

kf3339

Reaction score
DavidSeven":utcx4l6y said:
Axx":utcx4l6y said:
DavidSeven":utcx4l6y said:

Uh, he's the head coach and an offensive guy. This is on him. If he can't overrule his OC, what is he even doing there?

That may be more on Jerry Jones and what type of control he has over the OC play decisions. None of us know.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I have no beef with Flynn whatsoever FWIW, if anything signing him was a positive for our organization because we had a placeholder at starter and weren't going to reach for a QB in the first round that wasn't Wilson. It allowed us to gamble on a short QB in the 3rd.

I think he's had two isolated good games ever in a spot starting role - both against awful defenses - and has looked really bad otherwise, so I don't think he's very good. There's nothing much more to it for me.

kf3339

Reaction score
ivotuk":1l1x9j0h said:
MidwestHawker":1l1x9j0h said:
seahawk2k":1l1x9j0h said:

You are trying to rationalize with some who really have a hate against Flynn. I really don't get the hate myself. It's not like he bad mouthed the team or was a cancer on the team.