Mack Strong - "I googled Cris Carter"

Rufus

Reaction score
Rob12":2ppdlcrd said:
Nice find, Rufus. So basically, Carter is comparable to Baldwin. No idea why the man felt the need to pipe up.

Yeah, if he continues at this pace, Baldwin should be a Hall of Famer. Maybe then Carter will consider him worthy enough to speak up for himself against insults.

Carter also seems insecure and bitter about being voted down for five years by HOF voters, and seems especially bitter that Largent--who he considers himself better than--was a first ballot Hall of Famer, so his ego may make it hard for him to praise Seahawks receivers. After being rejected on the Hall of Fame ballot for the fifth consecutive year, Carter tried to raise his own profile by smearing Largent's achievements:

In Carter’s opinion, his own numbers compare favorably to Largent’s. Carter questioned why he has been voted down five times while Largent was elected to the Hall of Fame the first year he was eligible.

“If Steve Largent had 130 touchdowns he would have been a first-ballot Hall of Famer. But he didn’t, he had 100 — and he was still a first-ballot Hall of Famer,” Carter said.

On that score Carter’s case isn’t quite as strong: It’s true that Carter’s raw numbers are better than Largent’s, but Carter played in a more passing-friendly offensive environment. When Largent retired he owned the all-time NFL records for catches, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns. Carter never owned any of those records.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... receivers/

getnasty

Reaction score
Even Mack Strong is getting in on the trash talk, I love it.

cajunhawk

Reaction score
There is an argument one can make that Steve Largent was the greatest wide receiver ever. Why? The guy was 5'11" and didn't have the prototypical build for a wide receiver. Jerry Rice, Harold Carmichael, Cris Carter, Randy Moss, Lynn Swann, etc. all had better physical attributes than Largent. Look at a guy like Megatron right now, or Randy Moss in his prime. They could out jump, and out run any cornerback they faced. Very little skill involved. Just out talent the guy in front of you. That isn't hard to do when you are a physical specimen. That makes what Largent did that much more impressive. I will always say that Largent is the greatest wide receiver ever.

FnkyCold

Reaction score
I googled him too. A few things stood out. No Superbowls, a drug problem, and a former teamate calling him a "diva" that consistently put himself before his team. He may be a HOF player, but he's a shitty analyst.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
Rufus":ny1jk7d9 said:
Rob12":ny1jk7d9 said:
Nice find, Rufus. So basically, Carter is comparable to Baldwin. No idea why the man felt the need to pipe up.

Yeah, if he continues at this pace, Baldwin should be a Hall of Famer. Maybe then Carter will consider him worthy enough to speak up for himself against insults.

Carter also seems insecure and bitter about being voted down for five years by HOF voters, and seems especially bitter that Largent--who he considers himself better than--was a first ballot Hall of Famer, so his ego may make it hard for him to praise Seahawks receivers. After being rejected on the Hall of Fame ballot for the fifth consecutive year, Carter tried to raise his own profile by smearing Largent's achievements:

In Carter’s opinion, his own numbers compare favorably to Largent’s. Carter questioned why he has been voted down five times while Largent was elected to the Hall of Fame the first year he was eligible.

“If Steve Largent had 130 touchdowns he would have been a first-ballot Hall of Famer. But he didn’t, he had 100 — and he was still a first-ballot Hall of Famer,” Carter said.

On that score Carter’s case isn’t quite as strong: It’s true that Carter’s raw numbers are better than Largent’s, but Carter played in a more passing-friendly offensive environment. When Largent retired he owned the all-time NFL records for catches, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns. Carter never owned any of those records.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... receivers/
Largent also had the consecutive-games-with-a-catch* streak (* not including strike games) when he retired. Owning numerous records when you retire is a BIG DEAL. Sorry Cris...the bar had been raised since then. Blame Rice for that.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Rufus":1d0i99f9 said:
So I went ahead and Googled Cris Carter and compared his first three seasons stats with Baldwin's. Pretty comparable, with Carter having a slight edge in avg yards per catch and TDs, and Baldwin well ahead in receptions, yards, playoff wins and of course conference championships/SB appearances.

................CARTER.....................BALDWIN
games:..........41..............................46
receptions:.....89............................130
yards:..........1450.........................1932
avg:.............17.2..........................14.9
lng:...............80T...........................55T
TD:................19.............................12

division
champion:.......1...............................1
playoff
appearances:...2...............................4
playoff
wins:..............0...............................3
conf
champion:.......0...............................1

Wow! I mean... just WOW! That is simply amazing! Especially when you consider that Baldwin plays essentially the third/fourth receiver role (when the #1 and #2 receivers aren't injured) on a run-first team that hardly passes the ball. Talk about pedestrian! (And I ain't talking about Baldwin here.)

Baldwin is mannnnnnnnnnnn!

Axx

Reaction score
Chris carter called out doug. Doug proved him wrong. Carter continues to trash him????

I hope doug gets a ring and lets carter know.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Hey, if I had 8 consecutive 1,000+ yard seasons with 78+ catches, I'd feel good about my career too.

Still, there's no need to demean a current player in his 3rd year. Sherman gets the internet thrown at him for taking his one-on-one beef to the public. He's 25 and learning how to harness his passion. Carter is in the Hall of Fame, but he's talking like a 25-year-old who's learning how to harness his frustration.

I'd expect a HOF'er drafted in the 4th round of the Supplemental Draft (back when there were 12 rounds!) to go to bat for the underdogs who show potential. LAME.

Good on ya, Mack!