Lynch, Baldwin and now Earl

mrblitz

Reaction score
the way belichik does it, is pay for a qb, then everyone else is pretty much expendable. belichik coaches the squad up week to week for excellence.

pete is more like, pay people huge amounts of money when you really should just be rotating the expensive players out, and working on week-to-week xs and os.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
mrblitz":1u1eqrlp said:
the way belichik does it, is pay for a qb, then everyone else is pretty much expendable. belichik coaches the squad up week to week for excellence.

Sure, except for Gilmore, McCourty, Gronk, Hightower, Cannon, and Gostkowski. And that's just the dudes with $5 million to $12 million cap hits this year.

potatohead

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1vsezupl said:
Posted this in another thread but it seems more appropriate in this one...

Quote from Bobby Wagner on Earl’s gesture - Wagner said he didn't think anything of Thomas' gesture and referenced how his teammate floated the idea of retirement after his 2016 broken leg while making the point that players sometimes act emotionally.

"I think we play a very, very emotional game, and I think sometimes you've got to allow people to have their emotions, have their feelings," Wagner said. "Last time he got hurt like this, he retired, and obviously he didn't retire. So you've got to let guys have their emotions. I don't think nothing of it. I think he has a long road ahead of him if it's the injury that he suspects. We're going to have his back and we're going to support him and we're going to be here for him."

Here’s link to the full article - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2485 ... carted-off

Bobby can think whatever he wants. What I saw was a dude laying on the ground with a ring of teammates and trainers kneeling around him and three minutes later flipping them the bird. I truly hope he is done as a Seahawk.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Don't drag Marshawn into this. Dude is a one of a kind and has a completely different caliber of swagger than any player I've ever seen. I am happy for him and everything he got.

Or Doug for that matter.

But yeah, I'm done with ET3. Wish him luck, but I don't hold him in high regard.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
In actuality this entire “Earl Thomas/Seahawk" saga ended (assuming ETIII is ghost) pretty appropriately. Kinda like the r/OfCourseThatsAThing sub on Reddit. Just a TOTAL ‘Seahawky' ass way for one of the rawest, illest, 110%er DBs in the history of this franchise to be forced to hang the cleats up. Regardless of how I or any of you feel about Earl as a person, he balled out for us and was/is LOVED by his teammates for it. At the end of the day, we lose an all pro safety who happened to be the last component to a defensive backfield that did some legendary shit and EARNED one of the flyest Nicknames the sport has seen thus far. And he had the misfortune of having a very ugly, public spat with the team and coach that picked his crazy ass with their very first pick and paid him WELL, only for him to let his ego and emotions eff up a pretty nice gig.

Ah well, such is life.
Go hawks.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
And yeah, I agree, leave Marshawn ‘National Treasure' Lynch outta this. I actually 'felt him’ when he flipped the coaches off. Between Pete, Cable & pank ass Bevell, they truly waisted some prime ballers by stepping on each other’s dicks in the coaching and scheming realm.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":2feydz1d said:
Don't drag Marshawn into this. Dude is a one of a kind and has a completely different caliber of swagger than any player I've ever seen. I am happy for him and everything he got.

Or Doug for that matter.

But yeah, I'm done with ET3. Wish him luck, but I don't hold him in high regard.

Your post is exactly what went down and is the issue. If you excuse one or as you mention two players from accountability, then you are telling everyone that flipping the bird will not be met with consequences. You can't manage a team by looking the other way when even your best players act out in a non professional way.

D

DomeHawk

Brock and Salk were talking about how unrealistic it was for players to feel that they are owed something for past performance.

Apparently, Earl and my ex attended the same logic class.

Seymour

Reaction score
Earl has earned $56 million here in Seattle. :shock:

His family will be eating fine if he has half a brain....yes, even if he never plays again. :roll:

jdblack

Reaction score
My opinion, Baldwin/Earl/Sherman/etc is a response to Pete's rah-rah team schtick. Players bought in for a couple years, realized the NFL is a cutthroat business, and the (past and daily) backlash is worse than on teams where players treat it like just a business from the get-go. Pete has probably let up, and comes across as depressed sometimes now - doubt he can pull off the cool and analytical type. He's an average or below coach once he's lost the ability to create the college environment in the NFL.

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
Donn2390":234yh2yg said:
Looks like a little adversity really brings out the quitters and losers. I thought Seattle was better than this, It looks like I misjudged the fans up here...

3-4 whiners don't make a fan base......bitching about bitching is silly though.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Listening to PC on 710 make excuses and talk about Earl like he was a 14 year old kid rather than a grown man it became readily apparent to me why this team constantly has players making fools of themselves.
Pete expects and requires very little from them. He simply doesnt.
Everyone has emotions and millions of people get broken bones. That doesn't mean we can act however we like when things didn't go the way we wanted.
So tired of the excuse making for grown men. It finally dawned on me while listening to him speak that this will never change while Pete is coach.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You do realize that he broke his leg right?

Emotions tend to boil to the surface in the fog of pain.

Earl is emotional anyway. And he seems to define part of himself as a human being by his ability to play football.

Then that is taken away.

It never was business with him. That should have been clear. It was personal. He was hurt. I get it.

But flipping off your coach and FO when you are literally in a fog of pain from a broken leg should get you SOME mitigating circumstance credit here. I have snapped at people when in pain and said some things I had to apologize for later. I can see where a broken leg would ratchet my emotions up too.

Earl should get a little bit of an excuse vs Marshawn (who was justified too) because he very likely was not clear-headed at the time.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
When was the last time we saw an injured player flip off their own team on the way out? Never.

Most players generally give the thumbs up for the crowd or their team, if anything.

I do not like that Pete is making excuses for his behavior. Earl was in the wrong, and it reflects poorly on the organization.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I think both Twisted and Coug are right here... and that's the impossible ambiguity that PC has created with his culture. He wants (expects) players to use their allotted freedom to help themselves... and thus help the team.

But that has also given players the confidence to challenge the very coach(es) that gave them that freedom to begin with. That has created instances like yesterday.

PC's response isn't confusing, and maybe he's allowing a player he's know for years to be upset. Fair.. but the message it sends everyone else is only more ambiguity.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Both sides have handled this whole thing wrong really. Pete is sticking up for a player, that's not uncommon for a coach to do that. But making excuses for flipping someone off? Come on, players get hurt every single game. Why do we not see them flipping people off. Somehow it's ok for Earl?
Obviously there are many different opinions on this subject, and that's ok.

Latest posts