Lynch and Rawls gained yardage: Why only 12 runs combined?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It was situational more than anything else. Penalties, bad down-and-distance, early deficit.

That said, it also seemed obvious to me that Russ was desperate to throw and get himself into a rhythm. And it sort of worked to some degree. You could see him pleading with Carroll to stay on the field on 4th down when it made absolutely no sense. He got turned down, but you saw him talk Pete into the second one. I bet he talked Carroll into both 2-point conversion attempts as well.

Russ wants to pass himself out of this funk. Seems totally obvious.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3dmvlpn0 said:
It was situational more than anything else. Penalties, bad down-and-distance, early deficit.

That said, it also seemed obvious to me that Russ was desperate to throw and get himself into a rhythm. And it sort of worked to some degree. You could see him pleading with Carroll to stay on the field on 4th down when it made absolutely no sense. He got turned down, but you saw him talk Pete into the second one. I bet he talked Carroll into both 2-point conversion attempts as well.

Russ wants to pass himself out of this funk. Seems totally obvious.

Then it was on Russ. Bad decision either way.

kearly

Reaction score
There were too many 1st and 20s and 1st and 25s in this game to judge the playcalling accurately, IMO.

DavidSeven":3gbia541 said:
You could see him pleading with Carroll to stay on the field on 4th down when it made absolutely no sense. He got turned down, but you saw him talk Pete into the second one. I bet he talked Carroll into both 2-point conversion attempts as well.

I was on Russ's side on the 4th down conversion. He was in a pretty good rhythm that drive and the run game was getting it done in power situations. It was at a good spot on the field to go for it, and Seattle was trailing at the time. It wasn't a great spot to punt either especially since Ryan struggled getting punts inside the 10 all game.

As far as the 2 point, I wanted Seattle to go for 1, 14 minutes in a high scoring game is too soon for a 2. Additionally, I think it's unwise to go for 2 when you are a really bad red zone team, a 2 pointer should be seen as a last resort for teams that struggle to score close.

FWIW, Pete said on his monday Radio appearance that he called the 2 point tries because it was the 4th quarter and "it was what the sheet told [him] to do." Which makes sense, I don't think it was Russell asking for it- the TD that proceeded it was a 3 yard TD drive with zero completed passes.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The decision to go for 2 when they went up 29-25 was the right call for a few reasons.. for one, it would have protected them from losing on 2 FG's. Another, with the PAT no longer being a gimme for teams.. even a TD doesn't guarantee 7 points anymore. Thirdly, following the TD to put Arizona up 39-29, had they converted that 2 point conversion.. it was still an 8 point game with a chance to drive down for a TD + tying 2 pointer.

So both 2 point tries were the right call.. and obviously the 2nd one wouldn't have taken place had you converted on the first one to begin with.

Hawks46

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1ebzr1rj said:
Sad but true.

Yet when things were working the running game looked good.

Yup, situationally we got taken out of our game. Collinsworth said it best on one drive "you're averaging 6.1 ypc, and you pass it on 1snd and 2nd down, and now you're facing 3rd and 9."

Even down 19-0, we shouldn't abandon our run game.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1jveady8 said:
The decision to go for 2 when they went up 29-25 was the right call for a few reasons.. for one, it would have protected them from losing on 2 FG's. Another, with the PAT no longer being a gimme for teams.. even a TD doesn't guarantee 7 points anymore. Thirdly, following the TD to put Arizona up 39-29, had they converted that 2 point conversion.. it was still an 8 point game with a chance to drive down for a TD + tying 2 pointer.

So both 2 point tries were the right call.. and obviously the 2nd one wouldn't have taken place had you converted on the first one to begin with.

I wouldn't disagree with this kind of thinking in a vacuum.

But in the context of 2015, Seattle has one of the worst RZ offenses in franchise history. My guess is that they make maybe 25 out of 100 simulated two point attempts. I would like to see them avoid going for two until they absolutely have to until the RZ crisis has lifted.

It was also a shootout type game with 14 minutes left, and I think that has to factor too. I totally expected Seattle to score at least 1 more TD, and they did, albeit a defensive one.

mrt144

Reaction score
kearly":1pyp82ze said:
Hasselbeck":1pyp82ze said:

I would agree, if Seattle had a good RZ offense. But for Seattle in 2015, my guess is that they make maybe 25 out of 100 simulated two point attempts. I would like to see them avoid going for two until they absolutely have to until the RZ crisis has lifted.

It's one of the calls where the situation might call for it but the lack of a cohesive offensive unit makes it a bad choice, especially when we look at the actual execution and it looks like it's never been run in practice, twice.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1vb8azq6 said:
I heard Pete say in his presser that they were not able to get to the actual game plan because of first half penalties. That makes sense given down and distance was in a deep hole most of that half. I'm actually more disturbed they are not using Lockett more and getting some quick hitters to keep the pass rush honest. Lockett was open often and particularly that pick thrown to Baldwin there was nobody within 7 yards of him dead center field.
So if he's open, you cannot blame the game plan. We needed Russ to find him, right?

DangerousDoug

Reaction score
The holding penalties (as well as the other penalties) KILLED the run game and also appeared to take Marshawn's spirit away. After one of the runs he was visibly pissed when they brought it back for the hold. Seemed to be working fine when the opportunity was there. What bent me out of shape was when they got the run going it seemed they (Bevell) immediately went to 4 wide or did not even use play action to sell the run, pull in the LBs.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
B8zu2LACIAATNSz.jpg

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":14o1a61n said:
Seymour":14o1a61n said:
I heard Pete say in his presser that they were not able to get to the actual game plan because of first half penalties. That makes sense given down and distance was in a deep hole most of that half. I'm actually more disturbed they are not using Lockett more and getting some quick hitters to keep the pass rush honest. Lockett was open often and particularly that pick thrown to Baldwin there was nobody within 7 yards of him dead center field.
So if he's open, you cannot blame the game plan. We needed Russ to find him, right?

Correct. My gripe is not with the game plan per se, as much as he isn't higher on the progression and getting actual targets. He has dynamic open field abilities that is just going to waste.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
You can't grab guys off the street to play O-Line for you. Opposing QBs have 5 minutes to throw. Our RBs can't even run without a holding ... or false starts ...
If Cable is not fired, then I don't know what else needs to be done.

Laloosh

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2xmr987h said:
You can't grab guys off the street to play O-Line for you. Opposing QBs have 5 minutes to throw. Our RBs can't even run without a holding ... or false starts ...
If Cable is not fired, then I don't know what else needs to be done.

Hate to break it to you but other offensive lines hold as well... or should I say they're better at it?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
justafan":3520debl said:
All you need to do is go through the play by play drive charts.
There were too many 1st and 20s and 1st and 15s which turned into 3rd and longs.

Maybe they should have called a few more run plays on first down, there tends be less holds on run plays.

Laloosh

Reaction score
ZagHawk":13cq06r9 said:
justafan":13cq06r9 said:
There were too many 1st and 20s and 1st and 15s which turned into 3rd and longs.

Maybe they should have called a few more run plays on first down, there tends be less holds on run plays.

Except that 3/3 were on run plays to start the game. Facemask on Gilliam, hold on Britt, hold on Willson... all run plays.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
What I want to say to our DBs and O-Line whenever a flag was thrown, but replace the words "breaking the law" with "getting penalties"

stop-breaking-the-law-asshole-o.gif

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":3d0p3ogv said:
ZagHawk":3d0p3ogv said:
justafan":3d0p3ogv said:

Except that 3/3 were on run plays to start the game. Facemask on Gilliam, hold on Britt, hold on Willson... all run plays.

Well then my Gif above stands.

It's like this team doesn't get the hint, okay one flag for PI or Holding, fine.. just be more careful or subtle. Second flag, Okay STOP. Third flag, do you really think they weren't going to call it?!?

G-Money

Reaction score
Nothing to do with the play calling, but doesn't it seem Lynch takes himself out of the game just about every other play??