Logic dictates into our 1st round selection.

Chawker

Reaction score
Drafting a 1st round player may have future ramification to our salary cap. The difference between drafting a QB and a offensive lineman will be huge in 5 years.

If Pete a nd John are smart they'd go for a DL or OL with the 5th pick. Or even smarter move is to trade back. Trade back and still get a good player, plus picking up another top pick.

I'd roll the dice that Bresee DT will still be there a number 9 pick, a specially if T. Wilson is there at #5.

Then target Drew Sanders LB at 20. Then look to take a linemen with our first second round pick. Then draft a DE at 51

With our traded we can select a rb or safty.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Or you can pay an elite QB 7 million a year when everyone else is paying them 60 million for an elite one 5 years from now. :)

In all seriousness I think QB is the pick if you have your guy BUT your idea is perfectly reasonable as well and they may very well be what happens.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I can't see them going OL that early in any circumstance. Just for the fact we won't go Tackle because of investing that way last draft, So no need. Secondly, they just haven't invested heavily in IOL ever. Ethan Pocic was the earliest they ever went that way at pick #58. And in all 13 drafts of their tenure there's 3 total IOL guys taken in the 3rd or higher, Pocic, Moffitt and Damien Lewis. Carpenter and Ifedi were taken as tackles.

For me, it's DL, QB or trade back. LB needs a talented prospect to add to the pool but I don't see it at #5. I agree with the people that think playing a talented QB on a rookie salary is a huge advantage. But you can't force something to happen a certain way if it's just not there.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I think we're set at QB for at least another year and probably two. Draft another QB next year and fix what needs fixing the most with our best picks this year. DL and DE are high priority positions in the draft so the best will go off the board early, so get those as early as you can. I see good RBs available in later rounds this year. With Tre Brown coming back I don't see CB as a high priority need. Get a good safety and a good center.
The QB I advocate as our long term QB solution is in the 24 draft will be a top Heisman candidate consideration this coming year, so we also need to work our way into a good pick position in next year's draft. There will likely be some trading necessary to accomplish that.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I can't see them going OL that early in any circumstance. Just for the fact we won't go Tackle because of investing that way last draft, So no need. Secondly, they just haven't invested heavily in IOL ever. Ethan Pocic was the earliest they ever went that way at pick #58. And in all 13 drafts of their tenure there's 3 total IOL guys taken in the 3rd or higher, Pocic, Moffitt and Damien Lewis. Carpenter and Ifedi were taken as tackles.

For me, it's DL, QB or trade back. LB needs a talented prospect to add to the pool but I don't see it at #5. I agree with the people that think playing a talented QB on a rookie salary is a huge advantage. But you can't force something to happen a certain way if it's just not there.
Good post. I'm firmly in the draft a young qb camp, but I agree they should only do so if there's someone they're in love with. Otherwise, better to wait a year.

getnasty

Reaction score
I think regardless of position if you have to pay them a ton of money in 5 years you've done your job. I'm sure the Bengals aren't dissapointed with their choice and if they are they could always get a boat load of pick for Burrow and never pay him top dollar.

nanomoz

Reaction score
This ignores half of the equation. A quarterback on a rookie contract is a hell of a lot cheaper than 20-50 million a year.

Chevy

Reaction score
Paying Geno will have huge salary cap ramifications this year and into the future if he is signed to more than a one year deal. Geno was good for 2/3 thirds of season, seems like fools' gold to me.