OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Florio says Tyler owns it, brings up cap concerns

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Wait, does Tyler actually OWN the agency?

I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but how in the heck do these people think it's a salary cap violation? He works on the side. It would be like if he for some reason wanted to be a Courtesy Clerk at Safeway and people were saying "oh that's a salary cap violation because Safeway is an official sponsor!" Even though he could be getting paid by Safeway.

Salty comments. Although, I'm sure I'll be proven wrong somehow. I hope not.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but how in the heck do these people think it's a salary cap violation? He works on the side. It would be like if he for some reason wanted to be a Courtesy Clerk at Safeway and people were saying "oh that's a salary cap violation because Safeway is an official sponsor!" Even though he could be getting paid by Safeway.

Salty comments. Although, I'm sure I'll be proven wrong somehow. I hope not.

Tyler doesn’t just work there. He apparently owns this one independent franchise of A nationwide brand. So it wouldn’t be like they’re promoting Safeway or Buffalo Wild Wings or Marriott as a brand, but saying they are in business with only one that happens to be owned by an active starter.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Tyler doesn’t just work there. He apparently owns this one independent franchise of A nationwide brand. So it wouldn’t be like they’re promoting Safeway or Buffalo Wild Wings or Marriott as a brand, but saying they are in business with only one that happens to be owned by an active starter.
Oh my mistake then.

Well in that case... Potential gray area. Way over my head at that point. Let's just hope he doesn't try and sell one of our draft picks a home or something.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's a fair concern for other teams. The firm salary cap is what makes the NFL the best sport, and circumventing it would hurt parity. If we're giving Tyler a discount on advertising or something then that probably is crossing the line.

At the same time, the NFL had no problem with the Patriots doing this exact same thing with Brady. They were paying an outside company owned by Brady an undisclosed amount of money to provide poorly documented training and nutrition services to the team for a decade and that apparently wasn't an issue.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It's a fair concern for other teams. The firm salary cap is what makes the NFL the best sport, and circumventing it would hurt parity. If we're giving Tyler a discount on advertising or something then that probably is crossing the line.

At the same time, the NFL had no problem with the Patriots doing this exact same thing with Brady. They were paying an outside company owned by Brady an undisclosed amount of money to provide poorly documented training and nutrition services to the team for a decade and that apparently wasn't an issue.

The Guerrero situation was different as Guerrero contracted with The team to provide services…

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

I don't hate it - but I don't like it either -

Besides the fact that Tyler cannot spell in his offer posted here the other week -

I'm a big fan of optics and just keeping things simple. Why mix up the pools if you don't have to?

And, as much as I like the dude - do the Hawks REALLY need an official realtor? Whole thing seems dumb to me - and if there are cap implications - they need to enforce them/watch it.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I don't hate it - but I don't like it either -

Besides the fact that Tyler cannot spell in his offer posted here the other week -

I'm a big fan of optics and just keeping things simple. Why mix up the pools if you don't have to?

And, as much as I like the dude - do the Hawks REALLY need an official realtor? Whole thing seems dumb to me - and if there are cap implications - they need to enforce them/watch it.
No one can spell these days. I just deaded a fwb situation w/ a woman for using "your" wrong too many times in a text string (petty, I know). And don't even get me started on 'there/they're/their". There's some 3rd grade teachers that need to get brought up on fraud charges 😂. Hell, Schefter has a pretty glaring grammatical error in his tweet.

Anyway, if Patriots/Brady could have their shady ass arrangement, then this is A Ok as far as I'm concerned.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
No one can spell these days. I just deaded a fwb situation w/ a woman for using "your" wrong too many times in a text string (petty, I know). And don't even get me started on 'there/they're/their". There's some 3rd grade teachers that need to get brought up on fraud charges 😂. Hell, Schefter has a pretty glaring grammatical error in his tweet.

Anyway, if Patriots/Brady could have their shady ass arrangement, then this is A Ok as far as I'm concerned.
Ha!

I gotta say if the litmus test for not-creepy or a conflict of interest is Tom Brady and the Patriots?

Well, that's a pretty freaking low bar ;)

And I'm Canadian - so don't even get me started on not only the stupidity of word usage/misusage - but throw some Canadian/British stuff in the mix - and it starts to look pretty retarded ;)

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Am I way off or do we think that sponsors are PAID by the seahawks to be sponsors?? Don't sponsors usually pay for the privilege of being sponsors?

I get that there might be concern if the seahawks are utilizing a players companies service - but I cant imagine this is the case here.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Am I way off or do we think that sponsors are PAID by the seahawks to be sponsors?? Don't sponsors usually pay for the privilege of being sponsors?

I get that there might be concern if the seahawks are utilizing a players companies service - but I cant imagine this is the case here.
The "concern" would be if Tyler didn't pay, or didn't pay as much for being the official sponsor as a non-player might have. It's plausible that he could have been chatting with Pete about his real estate business, mentioned offhand that the Seahawks should make him the official realtor, and Pete said sure why not.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Do we want stadium banners and Jumbotron appearances and ad spots promoting any player’s private business?

Would we all have been fine had Russ and Ciara done This?

QWERTY

Reaction score
As long as Tyler shows his tax returns, there shouldn't be any problem.

But then again, there's many ways to avoid additional income.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The "concern" would be if Tyler didn't pay, or didn't pay as much for being the official sponsor as a non-player might have. It's plausible that he could have been chatting with Pete about his real estate business, mentioned offhand that the Seahawks should make him the official realtor, and Pete said sure why not.

This was a dumb marketing decision by us on just several levels.

Real estate companies Often get sued Or complained about. Well thanks to this sponsorship, this will get way more coverage.

And second, while I don’t wish it, Tyler could hit the wall In various performance ways and then what, we have fans mocking that he’s got a good side gig to go to?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with it, just like I don't think there's anything wrong with betting on your own team to win. But it's probably better to avoid even the potential appearance of impropriety.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
This was a dumb marketing decision by us on just several levels.

Real estate companies Often get sued Or complained about. Well thanks to this sponsorship, this will get way more coverage.

And second, while I don’t wish it, Tyler could hit the wall In various performance ways and then what, we have fans mocking that he’s got a good side gig to go to?
All this just highlights how plumb GOOFY American sports fans are. We're on the verge of WW3 against ******* cyborgs, dawg. Cyborg DOGS, dawg. 😂

Rainger

Reaction score
Does he work for them or is HE the owner. Big difference. Don't think your thread title is correct

He doesn't work for them they work for him!

The real estate company owned by Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Tyler Lockett — LivNServe — has become an official sponsor of the Seahawks, making it one of the first partnerships between a player and the team he currently plays for.

Donn2390

Reaction score
I very much doubt if Pete, or anyone else in the FO, including Jody, would make any such decisions without consulting the company attorney first, it's just the way big business operates, make sure you keep your nose clean..