Lockette re-signed.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
RockHawk":2ozhv8tq said:
Am I the only one that still feels a bit negative about this because of the play that shall not be mentioned? I'm not trying to get into the "did he make enough effort" discussion again (see; dead horse) but between his idiot penalties, his drop off with his premier gunner work from 2014, and that play, I was almost hoping that he'd move on.

All of this might be because I know nothing about football though.

you mean the stupid play call and the off target pass to our 5th wr...ya its lockettes fault...get rid of him..kearse is awesome though..

original poster

Reaction score
I'm one of the few that's glad he's back on the roster.

Our ST last year was god awful, he may well end up expendable after the draft but having him there as an option is a no brainer.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Lockette's role on special teams:

If you out-kick your coverage, return yardage increases which potentially negates the longer punt.

If you have speed on your punt coverage, you extend the range you can kick without out-kicking your coverage.

The goal of the punt team is to "flip the field", turning your lousy field position into their lousy field position.

Lockette is an integral member of that punt team. He puts pressure on the return man which can lead to turnovers, and he extends the range Ryan can punt by shutting down the return.

Lockette's role on offense:

The combination of Lynch and Graham should attract the attention of both safeties, leaving some single-coverage opportunities for the wide-outs. Lockette is one of the fastest players in the league. If he can beat his one-on-one coverage deep, Wilson will take the shot. When Richardson returns from injury, Lockette will see less action in this role, however.

Additionally, I have always had the idea against man coverage of rotating receivers such that anyone who is covered by X cornerback automatically runs a fly route. Nothing but speed, straight down the field. The goal is to run the legs off of that cornerback so that in the 4th quarter he stands no chance of keeping up with rested receivers. Lockette would be ideal for this.

OrFan

Reaction score
I like the guy. He is fun to watch on special teams and adds a spark there that we hadn't had for a while. The bad call in the SB was not his fault, just plain stupidity by a coordinator who needs to pull his head out more often.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
OrFan":3dh6oyrm said:
I like the guy. He is fun to watch on special teams and adds a spark there that we hadn't had for a while. The bad call in the SB was not his fault, just plain stupidity by a coordinator who needs to pull his head out more often.
Your opinion. My opinion is that Bev is the perfect guy for the job as OC.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm super happy to have Lockette back in the mix, for his ST skills and hustle.
Effort is never the problem with Lockette. "The Pick" wasn't about his effort. It was about being put in a horrible position by Bevell and having no clue Butler was even there until getting rocked by Butler going to the ball. (That's a experience/quick thinking/recognition problem, not an effort problem) It was a bonehead call on all levels by Bevell. On the matchups level. On the match to Wilson's skills level. (Sorry, but Russell IS too short to throw slants as his bread and butter and that play is a case in point when a taller QB sees Butler lurking and makes a different decision.) On the "use your best weapons when the game's on the line" level; (Wilson's mobility and decision-making, and Lynch's running.) Dumbest call in Super Bowl history. It's too bad that, as history records it, Lockette had to be the guy in the position of being hung out to dry by Bevell's incompetence and stupidity on this play. Wilson too. Not to mention Carroll.

Welcome back, Rocket.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I'm beginning to figure out that some fans like the one who just posted truly need a villain in their lives to be happy and make up for some discontent. Even in the most minor of catastrophes, like coming up a yard short in the Super Bowl when this franchise is enjoying the most prosperous times of its existence, they need a scapegoat to target their wrath, or they can't somehow cope.
In this case, even though it defies logical rationale, the scapegoat becomes Bevell, one of the better offensive minds in the business, who has helped mold the playing style and accumen of a quarterback who is on track to become the greatest quarterback in Seahawks history. A QB who likely would be very unhappy if the franchise parted ways with Bevell for the wrong reasons.
As far as the play call in question, which has been rehashed at nauseum, it was there for a TD if Butler hadn't made the play of his life or the blocker/decoy, receiver or QB had just executed a split second better.
That play aside, it's the big picture that I'm more concerned with as I can see the Hawks as Super Bowl contenders for the next few years, at a minimum. As a fan of this movement, when I see a who I believe to be a fellow fan of the Hawks chirping about a coach, one of our own, and threatening in any way to thwart these magical times ahead that many of us foresee, I feel compelled to speak up for that coach, an integral piece of the operation that Pete Carroll entrusts to put our team in scoring situations. The same guy that he has leaned on to get the Hawks to the last two Super Bowls.
There's no one better than Darrell Bevell at this point and time to guide the offense of the Hawks back to the Super Bowl. And that is the bottom line.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":224mpicn said:
I'm super happy to have Lockette back in the mix, for his ST skills and hustle.
Effort is never the problem with Lockette. "The Pick" wasn't about his effort. It was about being put in a horrible position by Bevell and having no clue Butler was even there until getting rocked by Butler going to the ball. (That's a experience/quick thinking/recognition problem, not an effort problem) It was a bonehead call on all levels by Bevell. On the matchups level. On the match to Wilson's skills level. (Sorry, but Russell IS too short to throw slants as his bread and butter and that play is a case in point when a taller QB sees Butler lurking and makes a different decision.) On the "use your best weapons when the game's on the line" level; (Wilson's mobility and decision-making, and Lynch's running.) Dumbest call in Super Bowl history. It's too bad that, as history records it, Lockette had to be the guy in the position of being hung out to dry by Bevell's incompetence and stupidity on this play. Wilson too. Not to mention Carroll.

Welcome back, Rocket.

Don't you people ever stop with this? Why does every thread have to turn into an 'I hate Bevell' thread? :les:

JimmyG

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":v319jot3 said:
There's no one better than Darrell Bevell at this point and time to guide the offense of the Hawks back to the Super Bowl. And that is the bottom line.
Bevell has been great. Our offense is consistently very productive. He has a lot of clever playcalls, with the primary read often having a a lot of daylight after he makes the catch. One thing I've learned from following football for 20 years is that everyone -- seriously, virtually EVERYONE -- hates their team's offensive coordinator. It's like an unwritten rule.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
As someone said,Mir IS his lucky day. He is a Special Team player that will probably never see the field again as Wr, unless it is garbage time.

M.M.

massari

Reaction score
kearly":2td1a5wj said:
RockHawk":2td1a5wj said:
Am I the only one that still feels a bit negative about this because of the play that shall not be mentioned? I'm not trying to get into the "did he make enough effort" discussion again (see; dead horse) but between his idiot penalties, his drop off with his premier gunner work from 2014, and that play, I was almost hoping that he'd move on.

All of this might be because I know nothing about football though.

I pretty much feel the same way. The onus is on JS to draft good WRs that will make Lockette expendable.

I'm hoping this is what's going to happen. Draft two good WR's so you can release Kearse+Lockette. Kearse just isn't worth the 2.35 mill and do you really want to take up roster room with Lockette who's a great gunner but useless WR?