Let's Prove Him Wrong.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The Seahawks 12th Man fans are loud and distracting to opponents at CenturyLink Field, no doubt. But they are not going to break the world crowd noise record at Sunday night's game against the San Francisco 49ers.

A local math, science and acoustics engineer says it's not possible.

http://mynorthwest.com/646/2353221/Sorr ... se-record-

Dabhawk

Reaction score
If we want to make this possible, EVERYBODY AND THEIR GRANDMA needs to be the loudest they can when its the 49ers FIRST POSSESSION!!! Lets do this folks, the team announced its not putting up anything to help us wind up our vocal chords so BE READY!! Don't show up late and be a square. This is the game of the season people, LETS MAKE SOME NOISE!!!!

GO HAWWWWWWKKSSS!!!!!!! VOLUME 12

HawkMania

Reaction score
Wish I could be there to help. Finally got to see seattle for the first time couple weeks ago. Took a tour of the clink. Very impressive. We got to scream "go seahawks" on the field. A bunch of the other tour members looked at me crazy cause of how loud I yelled. Just pretending I was at a game! I wish you guys good luck and truly wish I could be there to help.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I've not been confident we will break it because the soccer fans around the world use noisemakers, and the 12th man is strictly organic.

Vuvuzelas? More like Nintendo Game Genie. Chumps.

Still, I really hope we do break it.

Veilside

Reaction score
Are people allowed to bring whistles or other noise makers? I'm pretty sure if a record was set at a soccer game then there was noise making aids there.

Maybe everyone should turn their volumes up on their phones and play music and sound effects while they scream at the top of their lungs.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Aros":1x62sugc said:
The Seahawks 12th Man fans are loud and distracting to opponents at CenturyLink Field, no doubt. But they are not going to break the world crowd noise record at Sunday night's game against the San Francisco 49ers.

A local math, science and acoustics engineer says it's not possible.

http://mynorthwest.com/646/2353221/Sorr ... se-record-

The engineer is probably a 49ers fan...

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
The record is going to be broken or 'lost' based on the ability of people to yell together. If you have discordant sounds and coordination, you might dampen the waves; if everyone hits approximately the same register, you can get some basic wave addition and increase the sound by double. If everyone makes it to 70dB, you could approximately double that through resonant frequencies to 140 dB.

So I think it's possible even without noisemakers. It's a tall order, though, to get everyone on the same wavelength (literally).

fsmassey

Reaction score
He at least notes that the current Guinness world record is impossible, as well.

So....Guinness or something? Whatever.

The record is still in sight.

kearly

Reaction score
It's so not happening. Even the Beastquake moment is way below the world record. Still, I like that this attempt is happening in the 49ers game.

Basically the only way it happens is if somehow all the previous sound measurements at our stadium were incorrect.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Exactly. There should be some kind of countdown clock on the big screen to let everybody know. I kinda doubt we'll be able to do it, but it will be more than loud enough to distract Papaki and crew.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I can't wait till this gimmick is over so we don't have to do it anymore. We are already recognized as the loudest in the league. This exercise has no positive benefits.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
Get it organized like on first or second down. The main key it to be in the best unison possible. I so wish we could be there.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Joe Tafoya and a guy with a sound meter were on NFL AM this morning. They had Joe cup his hands and quickly shout about a foot away from the meter and he measured 115.6. They also said the meter will be 1.5 meters above the field and 2.5 meters from the crowd. They are going to try to measure during the Niners first possession.

I could swear that during the NFC championship game Fox flashed a sound meter that had the noise at over 130 db. So I think it could be possible (the sound pro described the amount to break the record as "pretty high").

Cartire

Reaction score
65,000 vuvuzelas would be awesome. But volume 12 has said they dont want artificial sound. They keep gimping themselves so hard.

sam1313

Reaction score
Good luck guys. So wish I could help. I know I can yell a hell of a lot louder than 65 db! Those of you close to that microphone, let it have it. Everyone needs to do their part, but that particular section needs to give it all they got!

And Tech, what the hell are you talking about saying no useful benefit? This can't possibly hurt our chances of disrupting Kap during this game. Perfect timing if you ask me.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Heh. I read the article AFTER I posted above (typical, right?), want to add one thing:

When I was a young pup I had a friend who wanted to get into the air force and so he took every (sometimes ridiculous) precaution he could to preserve his hearing. He bought a handheld db meter so that he could test what his stereo sound levels were like. Of course we also used it to check out how booming our friends' car stereos were.

The meter had two settings--db levels that could be heard by the human ear, and db levels including sounds outside the human ear's spectrum. The "full spectrum" measurements were always quite a bit higher.

Since the article says that the present CentryLink record of 112 db averages each person to around 64 db at a yelling level and the NFL AM segment I mentioned above had Tafoya yelling at 115, I would assume (not that I am an engineer or anything) that the record includes the "full spectrum" of sound? Still makes me think it's a breakable record.

Veilside

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":3pa2f9vt said:
Heh. I read the article AFTER I posted above (typical, right?), want to add one thing:

When I was a young pup I had a friend who wanted to get into the air force and so he took every (sometimes ridiculous) precaution he could to preserve his hearing. He bought a handheld db meter so that he could test what his stereo sound levels were like. Of course we also used it to check out how booming our friends' car stereos were.

The meter had two settings--db levels that could be heard by the human ear, and db levels including sounds outside the human ear's spectrum. The "full spectrum" measurements were always quite a bit higher.

Since the article says that the present CentryLink record of 112 db averages each person to around 64 db at a yelling level and the NFL AM segment I mentioned above had Tafoya yelling at 115, I would assume (not that I am an engineer or anything) that the record includes the "full spectrum" of sound? Still makes me think it's a breakable record.

What if every one blew a dog whistle at the same time? You could even do it while we're on offense and probably straight shatter the record.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm not sure it's going to happen. I don't see 50,ooo fans yelling at 132 db.

In comparison, standing right next to an open jet engine is around 122 db. I do remember the whole 130 db thing at the NFC championship game, but it's hard to know what kind of equipment they were using.

I think it's going to be fun to try, and it's going to be stupid loud, but I think the record is bogus myself. No way those soccer fans were at 132 db.

cacksman

Reaction score
The NFC Championship game did have a meter over 130. Why does no one mention that?