Let's Prove Him Wrong.

themunn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3jvaooue said:
I've not been confident we will break it because the soccer fans around the world use noisemakers, and the 12th man is strictly organic.

Vuvuzelas? More like Nintendo Game Genie. Chumps.

Still, I really hope we do break it.

Vuvuzelas are an african and south american thing, european countries don't rely on "noisemakers", they sing songs or chant.

someone posted a video of galatasaray breaking the record yesterday or the day before
[youtube]ogkvbW02mj0[/youtube]

The loudest part of that is the chanting. Noisemakers? Please. When you have 50,000+ people perfectly in sync shouting the same thing, it's always going to be loud.

Furthermore, the whole beastquake was almost certainly not caused by sound, but by fans jumping up and down celebrating. What do you think is more likely to cause a seismic shock - 65,000 people shouting or 65,000 people jumping up and down?

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
themunn":rhmrn1fq said:
RolandDeschain":rhmrn1fq said:
I've not been confident we will break it because the soccer fans around the world use noisemakers, and the 12th man is strictly organic.

Vuvuzelas? More like Nintendo Game Genie. Chumps.

Still, I really hope we do break it.

Vuvuzelas are an african and south american thing, european countries don't rely on "noisemakers", they sing songs or chant.

someone posted a video of galatasaray breaking the record yesterday or the day before
[youtube]ogkvbW02mj0[/youtube]

The loudest part of that is the chanting. Noisemakers? Please. When you have 50,000+ people perfectly in sync shouting the same thing, it's always going to be loud.

Furthermore, the whole beastquake was almost certainly not caused by sound, but by fans jumping up and down celebrating. What do you think is more likely to cause a seismic shock - 65,000 people shouting or 65,000 people jumping up and down?

This.

KINGGRUMPY

Reaction score
themunn":1w3cgj54 said:
european countries don't rely on "noisemakers", they sing songs or chant.

This is incorrect as far as my experience. While stationed in Germany I went to several soccer matches as well as some NFL Europe games. The locals definitely used various noisemakers. The best was during NFL games and fans would blow a whistle to stop the play. haha

HOLLYWOOD

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":kzlx34ua said:
I can't wait till this gimmick is over so we don't have to do it anymore. We are already recognized as the loudest in the league. This exercise has no positive benefits.

Have to agree. I doubt the legitimacy of the Turkish level as well. 132 is a tremendous amount of dB. I'd like to see them test every NFL stadium and then see who is loudest. That would be a better test imo anyway.

themunn

Reaction score
KINGGRUMPY":1tuofev6 said:
themunn":1tuofev6 said:

This is incorrect as far as my experience. While stationed in Germany I went to several soccer matches as well as some NFL Europe games. The locals definitely used various noisemakers. The best was during NFL games and fans would blow a whistle to stop the play. haha

I've only been to one German match (Dortmund), certainly not the case in my experience. nor can I recall (aside from a minority, maybe one guy banging a drum or playing the bagpipes or the band that follows the England team around) people using anything but their hands and lungs to make noise at a match.
The crowd are all about singing songs at matches rather than shouting and cheering for 90 minutes, hell the team I grew supporting must have over 100 songs and you'll hear anything from 10-20 of them during the course of a match.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Sorry to my friends who are psyched for this, but I find it ill-advised.

I get that any exposure is good exposure and I will scream my face off as always, but we are set up to fail here.

KINGGRUMPY

Reaction score
themunn":28k8woou said:
KINGGRUMPY":28k8woou said:
themunn":28k8woou said:

I've only been to one German match (Dortmund), certainly not the case in my experience. nor can I recall (aside from a minority, maybe one guy banging a drum or playing the bagpipes or the band that follows the England team around) people using anything but their hands and lungs to make noise at a match.

After rereading your original quote, I would have to agree. They didn't "rely" on the noisemakers, but they were definitely present.

TJH

Reaction score
This was a bad idea from the start. It's going to be disapointing/embarassing when we don't make it.

Throwdown

Reaction score
TJH":2gcz9o5s said:
This was a bad idea from the start. It's going to be disapointing/embarassing when we don't make it.

Yo you suck as a human, how is it embarassing? It's all in good fun, let the people have their fun.

kearly

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":28yp46gq said:
When it is time to make noise for this I am going to fart really loud.

You all should too.

Nobody's going to hear it. And with all those people around your neighbors won't know who to blame. Smart plan.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
TJH":2rp62pqy said:

I love this response, because there's nothing better than: Well, I don't think it'll work, so I won't try it.

It's also more embarrassing to me to see the number of wet blankets. Let people have their fun. If you don't like it, might I suggest prunes?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
themunn":3pzqvsbm said:

As Grumpy said, soccer fans use noise-making devices of some kind all over. Not vuvuzelas specifically in Europe, true, but I've seen plenty of fans using various implements.

Also, the seismic activity thing being caused by fans jumping up and down? Please. Almost the entire stadium is concrete. These aren't reverberating aluminum stands, for crying out loud. Go jump up and down on some concrete then come back and tell me what's what caused it. Nobody was jumping DURING the run, (when the activity was recorded) people started jumping right after the run FINISHED. I was there.

TJH

Reaction score
Throwdown":1dja62wp said:
TJH":1dja62wp said:

Yo you suck as a human, how is it embarassing?

LOL. You mad bro?

It's going to be embarassing when we fail to even come close after all the talking up this has had.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
TJH":2tqwpy2n said:
Throwdown":2tqwpy2n said:
TJH":2tqwpy2n said:

Yo you suck as a human, how is it embarassing?

LOL. You mad bro?

It's going to be embarassing when we fail to even come close after all the talking up this has had.

You're the mad one, dont get confused. Do you ever say anything positive?

themunn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":278dmkvl said:
themunn":278dmkvl said:

As Grumpy said, soccer fans use noise-making devices of some kind all over. Not vuvuzelas specifically in Europe, true, but I've seen plenty of fans using various implements.

Also, the seismic activity thing being caused by fans jumping up and down? Please. Almost the entire stadium is concrete. These aren't reverberating aluminum stands, for crying out loud. Go jump up and down on some concrete then come back and tell me what's what caused it. Nobody was jumping DURING the run, (when the activity was recorded) people started jumping right after the run FINISHED. I was there.

Concrete is MORE likely to cause a seismic shock, that's basic physics (Newton's third law). The reverberating aluminium stand means that the force is being dissipated. Put a rock on your hand and hit it and then put a pillow on your hand and hit it. Which shock do you feel more? Seismology isn't measuring the force in the stadium, it's measuring the force in the ground, if the concrete isn't shaking where do you think the impact of you hitting the ground is being felt?
If the stadium isn't shaking it means the ground is shaking (albeit not as noticeably, but enough to be picked up by seismic instruments)

If you don't believe me, try an experiement yourself with a hard object and a soft object on a tabletop with a glass of water on the other side of the table. When you hit the top of the hard object, the water will ripple more than when you hit the top of the soft object.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Munn, if you want to talk about basic physics, go do a little test. Stand on a concrete road, and stomp your foot down as hard as you can. It will HURT, because much of that energy is traveling back into your leg. Do it on aluminum, and it won't hurt, or will only hurt a little bit, because a lot of that energy is being dissipated elsewhere.

Seriously, stop digging. You'll reach China.

themunn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1b33wgma said:
Munn, if you want to talk about basic physics, go do a little test. Stand on a concrete road, and stomp your foot down as hard as you can. It will HURT, because much of that energy is traveling back into your leg. Do it on aluminum, and it won't hurt, or will only hurt a little bit, because a lot of that energy is being dissipated elsewhere.

Seriously, stop digging. You'll reach China.

Newton's third law is that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, that impact your feeling up your leg is the opposite reaction, to feel that force (of say 1000N) you need to impact 1000N INTO the road, the road isn't performing the action on you, you are performing the action on IT.
And yes, do it on aluminium and it will be dissipated elsewhere, but the key is NOT into the GROUND which it is attached to.
A shaking aluminium stadium won't cause a seismic impact (of noticeable magnitude anyway). A concrete one will