Let's make a trade: Oakland Raiders

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2vm5hm9a said:
SomersetHawk":2vm5hm9a said:
pehawk":2vm5hm9a said:
Marvin49":2vm5hm9a said:
I know that hurt Pe. :D

Not as much as watching, in horror, Seahawks fans sound like sports radio callers.

Lord almighty, a 2nd? Two 2nd's??!! Holy shit, this isn't 1991 you naïve rubes.

Haha. Given the sentiments of the thread I'll respond to the name rube. But if we could assume Oakland have some competition for his signature then I'd be positively gutted to end up with a 6th/7th for the best running back in the league.

Problem isn't that he's good. I agree he's the best in the NFL right now.

What's working against you is that there aren't many teams that value RBs the way Seattle and SF do and the fact that he's 28 and contemplating retirement every year. No team is going to give up a premium pick for a guy that might play 1 or 2 years...especially a team in rebuild mode who could really use those picks.

But if there IS a team that would do that, it would have to be Oakland, right? I mean, that's their MO.

I could see us getting a 4th from Oakland for Lynch that could conditionally turn into a 3rd if he reached certain performance targets.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The thing is if Lynch demands a trade to Oakland, the Hawks then have all the leverage because he's under contract.........so that could equal a higher pick than normally we'd get.

I think this question is silly either way, I don't care how much Lynch loves Oakland he's not going to play another 2-3 years for a perennial loser over a chance to stay where he's beloved with numerous chances at another ring.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2vyrh5so said:
The thing is if Lynch demands a trade to Oakland, the Hawks then have all the leverage because he's under contract.........so that could equal a higher pick than normally we'd get.

I think this question is silly either way, I don't care how much Lynch loves Oakland he's not going to play another 2-3 years for a perennial loser over a chance to stay where he's beloved with numerous chances at another ring.

The thing is tho that you are talking about leverage against Lynch, not Oakland.

Oakland won't give up a premium pick for a RB that might not play much longer no matter how bad he wants it. For them, it would be nice to bring him home, but they aren't gonna mortgage to future to do so.

Oakland is more likely just to walk away. This isn't the same regime that traded for Moss. New guys in charge who value those picks.

I do agree tho that his best bet is staying in Seattle. I don't think he'll be a Raider...but I still think he'll retire.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Marvin49":14v75m03 said:
Sgt. Largent":14v75m03 said:

The thing is tho that you are talking about leverage against Lynch, not Oakland.

Oakland won't give up a premium pick for a RB that might not play much longer no matter how bad he wants it. For them, it would be nice to bring him home, but they aren't gonna mortgage to future to do so.

Oakland is more likely just to walk away. This isn't the same regime that traded for Moss. New guys in charge who value those picks.

I do agree tho that his best bet is staying in Seattle. I don't think he'll be a Raider...but I still think he'll retire.

If a player demands a trade to only one team, the wouldn't the leverage be against BOTH the player and team?

Lynch is not a FA, so the Hawks don't have to do anything if Oakland and Lynch aren't willing to give up a decent draft pick. Oakland would either have to give up a better draft pick or Lynch gets to sit out and not get paid.

Lynch also doesn't have a no trade clause, so if our FO really wanted to trade him they could trade him to the highest bidder. They'd only trade him to Oakland to make the entire thing amicable, but certainly not at the expense of a crappy draft pick.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1spcv0zk said:
Marvin49":1spcv0zk said:
Sgt. Largent":1spcv0zk said:

If a player demands a trade to only one team, the wouldn't the leverage be against BOTH the player and team?

Lynch is not a FA, so the Hawks don't have to do anything if Oakland and Lynch aren't willing to give up a decent draft pick. Oakland would either have to give up a better draft pick or Lynch gets to sit out and not get paid.

Lynch also doesn't have a no trade clause, so if our FO really wanted to trade him they could trade him to the highest bidder. They'd only trade him to Oakland to make the entire thing amicable, but certainly not at the expense of a crappy draft pick.

Missing my point.

Yes...if both the team and player are demanding the trade then there is leverage there.

What I'm saying though is that I doubt the Raiders want him that bad. If he were 3 or 4 years younger and not contemplating retirement? Sure. If they were 1 player away from being a contender? Sure.

Now? Not a chance. They are BUILDING a team. They might burn money on a vet to get up to salary minimums, but they won't burn high draft picks. They need those to build a team around Carr. They'd be far more likely to take a back in the draft (and they can be had much later now than in the past) who's 21, 22 years old that they can groom for the future than using one of those picks on a guy who won't be around anymore when they get good again.

I see where you are coming from, but I don't think you are looking at it from the Raiders perspective...only in terms of what you'd want in return and are making the assumption that Oakland would want him so bad they'd part with a premium pick.

chris98251

Reaction score
I see no way an amiable trade is done with Oakland after Curry and Flynn have been sent there :)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Marvin49":20egdwwf said:
I see where you are coming from, but I don't think you are looking at it from the Raiders perspective...only in terms of what you'd want in return and are making the assumption that Oakland would want him so bad they'd part with a premium pick.

I'd agree with you if the Davis family hasn't had a good 40 year history of making some of the worst NFL decisions in the history of pro sports. I have faith in Davis and McKenzie!

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
pehawk":2b8fvtgb said:
Way to make me agree with GothGirl, ladies. He's right. You ladies are WAAAAYYYY off.

5th, maybe, tops. Most likely a 6th or 7th.
Players of Marcus Burley's caliber are traded for 6th round picks.

Hawks aren't getting 2 2nds, but a 6th or 7th isn't happening either

marko358

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":mo5ddpqu said:
Marvin49":mo5ddpqu said:

I'd agree with you if the Davis family hasn't had a good 40 year history of making some of the worst NFL decisions in the history of pro sports. I have faith in Davis and McKenzie!
This was the only thought going through my head as I read this thread.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":n8lm9wpf said:
pehawk":n8lm9wpf said:
Way to make me agree with GothGirl, ladies. He's right. You ladies are WAAAAYYYY off.

5th, maybe, tops. Most likely a 6th or 7th.
Players of Marcus Burley's caliber are traded for 6th round picks.

Hawks aren't getting 2 2nds, but a 6th or 7th isn't happening either

That'll probably be the offer (or a round or 2 higher) but I agree that it won't happen.

Bottom line to me is that the Seahawks likely won't be willing to take what the Raiders will be willing to offer.

IE, no deal.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Marvin49":297uwt10 said:
oh...no question...lol.

...but I do honestly think he will. He wanted to retire LAST year. He had trouble with his back THIS year. I just think he's one of those off-beat guys that's gonna leave the game before he has to. Maybe after a year or 2 he decides he wants to come back...who knows, but I think he leaves the game for this year at least.

I've always liked Marshawn since he was at Cal. I hate the way the media makes a mockery of his off-field demeanor. Dude is who he is. Its really weird for me honestly to like a guy on a team I dislike so much...but that's the deal.

He's had back problems for years. If he leaves I think it has more to do with being fed up with everything the NFL entails (the fines, the media hounding, etc) more than his back.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sign him to an extension, offer an insentive clause, if he gets fined by the NFL more then 8 times the Seahawks pick up the tab for his foundations expenses for the year.

Now thats a outside the box contract :)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kidhawk":l95ar3gb said:
Marvin49":l95ar3gb said:
kidhawk":l95ar3gb said:
Marvin49":l95ar3gb said:
I agree that IF we were to try to trade Lynch, we'd likely not get much in return. With that said, we aren't trading Lynch. I see two options for Lynch, he retires or he takes a pay raise and sticks around in Seattle. I'm guessing he takes the money and one more shot at a super bowl run.

I don't think he'll be traded either, but I hope he'll retire.

FIFY

oh...no question...lol.

...but I do honestly think he will. He wanted to retire LAST year. He had trouble with his back THIS year. I just think he's one of those off-beat guys that's gonna leave the game before he has to. Maybe after a year or 2 he decides he wants to come back...who knows, but I think he leaves the game for this year at least.

I've always liked Marshawn since he was at Cal. I hate the way the media makes a mockery of his off-field demeanor. Dude is who he is. Its really weird for me honestly to like a guy on a team I dislike so much...but that's the deal.

I don't find it all that weird. There's guys on lots of teams that I like, without liking the team itself, and historically there have been Seahawks players I didn't like but never wavered on my love for the team. IMO there's a huge difference in loving a team and loving a player. The two are completely separate, even though they seem to be so intertwined.

As for Lynch, I see where people might believe he's going to retire, and I would agree if we'd won that Super Bowl. The fact that he wanted the respect of a huge raise last off season, coupled with the fact that he's getting one offered this off season, tells me that he comes back, if for no other reason than to be able to say I told you so.

My prediction is he signs a 2-3 year deal, but retires after one more year.
That's where I'm leaning. Signs an extension, makes one last playoff/SB run and calls it a day after that.

kf3339

Reaction score
kidhawk":67ecvsxa said:
I agree that IF we were to try to trade Lynch, we'd likely not get much in return. With that said, we aren't trading Lynch. I see two options for Lynch, he retires or he takes a pay raise and sticks around in Seattle. I'm guessing he takes the money and one more shot at a super bowl run.

^ This.

He is not going to Oakland by trade or being cut. He is going to finish out his career as a Hawk.

PS: There is no way in hell I would take less than their 2nd even if an offer did come from Oakland, and we had no other choice. We have control of the situation. Not them.

cacksman

Reaction score
kf3339":yrcb3t4o said:
kidhawk":yrcb3t4o said:

^ This.

He is not going to Oakland by trade or being cut. He is going to finish out his career as a Hawk.

PS: There is no way in hell I would take less than their 2nd even if an offer did come from Oakland, and we had no other choice. We have control of the situation. Not them.

If Marshawn was contemplating retiring, he would definitely walk away if he had to play for the Raiders.

I don't buy for a second that he would prefer it because it's his hometown. He flies back every Tuesday as it is. I can't believe anyone that actually follows the NFL and more importantly the Seahawks would think this is a legit possibility. Lynch is not getting traded for many many reasons.

Chapow

Reaction score
Marvin49":2nsjxsrt said:
...but I do honestly think he will. He wanted to retire LAST year.

No he didn't. If he had wanted to retire, he would have. He contemplated retiring and decided not to. Unless he's been a completely irresponsible moron with his money, he doesn't need any more and didn't before last season to live the rest of his life very comfortably.

He played this last season because he wanted to, not because he needed to.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Why would Lynch retire when he knows his back isn't at risk because they're going to pay him 10 mil to be a decoy for the slant and he can still take home about half that pay after all the fines he plans to get? Yes, I'm still grumpy about it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Chapow":27ijbdpv said:
Marvin49":27ijbdpv said:
...but I do honestly think he will. He wanted to retire LAST year.

No he didn't. If he had wanted to retire, he would have. He contemplated retiring and decided not to. Unless he's been a completely irresponsible moron with his money, he doesn't need any more and didn't before last season to live the rest of his life very comfortably.

He played this last season because he wanted to, not because he needed to.

....you read more into what I said than I meant. Wasn't implying he was forced out of retirement.

Just saying he's been contemplating it and had told teammates he would...before reconsidering.