Lets Call A Spade A Spade

bigskydoc

Reaction score
HawkHack":ixhxvewa said:
Now, the delay-of-game penalty that followed was clearly a screw-up on the refs' part, and Bills fans have every reason to be angry about that. But the supposed Blown Call was anything but.

How was that a screw up. It took over 48 seconds for the Bills to snap the ball after the whistle from the prior play. I'm scratching my head as to why they took so long to line up and why people are saying it was a bad call.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3i26vrn2 said:
Last week this forum was overran with topics about how the refs screwed us over and cost us the game.

Well....One week later, and we get some help from the refs.

While I'm not sure why the NFL is saying it should have been a personal foul on Sherman, there is no doubt that the refs should have blown the play dead the moment Sherman crossed the line of scrimmage. And the delay of game that moved the Bills back 5 yards to make it a longer field goal was also an error by the refs. If you watch, they blow the whistle to start the play with three seconds on the play clock.

Pretty poor officiating. Unfortunately we were on the wrong side last week, and the Bills were on the wrong side this week.

So...thank you refs :D

Aren't they trained to play to the whistle? I never heard a whistle, I don't think Sherm did anything wrong or dirty, he was just offside and continued play since no whistle was blown.

ivotuk

Reaction score
ARhawk":2w9m7cb2 said:
Since when is offsides and dead ball foul? If sherm let up the kicker would have kicked the ball. It doesnt make any sense to let him try the field goal

This is true.

QBs see defensive offsides as a chance to throw what would otherwise be a risky pass. If they get the long bomb, TD, a win for the offense, if it's an INT, it comes back and the offense gets 5 yards.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Burnplant":382zma0z said:
HawkGA":382zma0z said:
Oh, and on the 2 point conversion, the ball is on the qb's lap and he is sitting outside the end zone.
This

Pillow biters like the OP should get bent. ESPN has run with "bills shouldnt have needed 6 pts coz they got robbed" along with Rex crying about it like they didn't have a whole 2nd half.

Funny that one of the ESPN babies was Hasselbeck saying the bills got jobbed. That soft ass 2005 team could have used Sherman or anyone with some pride and fight.

There was no outrage last week over 13 pts like there is tonight.

OP is joke

That soft ass team that went 13-3 and lost a Super Bowl amidst questionable officiating? It could have used "anyone" with some fight?

Yeah,

Walter Jones, Steve Hutchinson, Bobby Engram, Mack Strong, Tatupu were all pride-less wusses and that Washington playoff game and playing with busted ribs was indicative of Matt's inability to fight.

C'mon man. Better places to channel your frustration than past Seahawk teams brotha.

McGruff

Reaction score
Bitter":3e4f0r9r said:
bigtrain21":3e4f0r9r said:
johnnyfever":3e4f0r9r said:
Blandino said the play was called dead. Where are you guys hearing it wasn't. It seems as though it wasn;t as the ball was snapped and the kicker went through the motions of kicking it. Just getting 2 different explanations.

The play was absolutely not blown dead. I have it on my dvr.

Yup, no whistles and the opposing team kept playing, so why shouldn't Sherman.

And a hell of an acting job by Carpetener. From on the ground writhing in pain to jumping up and ready to kick in a instant. Never saw him flexing the knee to see if it was okay. Total sellout to get what would have been a bad call.

Not only grabbing his knee . . . but grabbing the wrong knee!!!

capncrunch

Reaction score
It wasn't clear to me that Lockett stepped out of bounds on the Bills challenge. Gruden and McDonough didn't seem so sure about that either. I will say that I was very surprised Pete wasted a challenge on the pass catch by the Bills. Don't they have someone to look at it upstairs quickly and tell him. You could see the ball didn't hit the turf.

McGruff

Reaction score
seahawksny":3f0uk80l said:
One can make a case that he touched the ball and his play was clean.

However, stevie wonder would have notied that that play should have been blown dead when he went off sides..

Just like when Avril noticed the RG false start later in the game and pulled up on a bullseye safety of Taylor in the endzone?

Play to the whistle. Even Stevie Wonder would do that.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm tired of hearing how the refs help us out so much, when it's statistically proven that our opponents get far less penalties when they play us than when they play ANYONE else.

Yup, the delay of game was a bad call. Didn't lose them the game though. Sherman shouldn't have gotten a personal foul, as he got a piece of the ball. Also, blame Carpenter (Buffalo's kicker) for having to come out on the play. He tried to sell the PF call by writhing on the ground in pain like he was seriously hurt, and the trainers had to run onto the field. At that point, you have to come out for a play (incidentally, once he didn't get the call, he was walking around perfectly fine before the next play). This isn't soccer; you don't get credit for flopping.

Sherman was hurt on a play in the 2nd half. He stayed down for maybe 10 seconds, got up on the field and starting running it off. He still had to come off for a play.

Also, is it illegal to call facemasks for the Seahawks ? Baldwin got facemasked on a catch on the sidelines in the 1st half. No call. Not like it's tough to see: Buffalo was wearing white gloves against the dark Seahawk face masks.

Jimmy Graham made two spectacular one handed catches last night. On both plays, the CB had a hold of Graham's right arm and wouldn't let him bring it up to make the catch. Wasn't that call decried when Sherman was "gifted" it ? Not just once last night, but TWICE.

Cliff Avril was literally tackled from behind on a play. A flag was thrown, but since Taylor was already sacked, they picked the flag up. Is that how it works ? What if we had wanted the option of pushing them back a full 10 yards instead ?

I'll call a spade a spade. Officiating has gotten progressively worse, and many times we've been on the worse end of it.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
capncrunch":1cpig0ma said:
It wasn't clear to me that Lockett stepped out of bounds on the Bills challenge. Gruden and McDonough didn't seem so sure about that either. I will say that I was very surprised Pete wasted a challenge on the pass catch by the Bills. Don't they have someone to look at it upstairs quickly and tell him. You could see the ball didn't hit the turf.

There was a view they played before the play went under review that clearly showed Lockett's shoe pushing up a small mount of white on the sideline. They never showed the view again after the challenge started, but I am guessing that the ref saw it and that was used to determine he went out of bounds. I am fairly certain the correct call was made there.

Hawks46":1cpig0ma said:
Jimmy Graham made two spectacular one handed catches last night. On both plays, the CB had a hold of Graham's right arm and wouldn't let him bring it up to make the catch. Wasn't that call decried when Sherman was "gifted" it ? Not just once last night, but TWICE.

One of them was called, so they only got away with one. Not trying to refute the point you are trying to make, just like to make sure the information provided is accurate as inaccurate information can weaken a strong argument.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hawks46":2b0px7mp said:
I'm tired of hearing how the refs help us out so much, when it's statistically proven that our opponents get far less penalties when they play us than when they play ANYONE else.

Yup, the delay of game was a bad call. Didn't lose them the game though. Sherman shouldn't have gotten a personal foul, as he got a piece of the ball. Also, blame Carpenter (Buffalo's kicker) for having to come out on the play. He tried to sell the PF call by writhing on the ground in pain like he was seriously hurt, and the trainers had to run onto the field. At that point, you have to come out for a play (incidentally, once he didn't get the call, he was walking around perfectly fine before the next play). This isn't soccer; you don't get credit for flopping.

Sherman was hurt on a play in the 2nd half. He stayed down for maybe 10 seconds, got up on the field and starting running it off. He still had to come off for a play.

Also, is it illegal to call facemasks for the Seahawks ? Baldwin got facemasked on a catch on the sidelines in the 1st half. No call. Not like it's tough to see: Buffalo was wearing white gloves against the dark Seahawk face masks.

Cliff Avril was literally tackled from behind on a play. A flag was thrown, but since Taylor was already sacked, they picked the flag up. Is that how it works ? What if we had wanted the option of pushing them back a full 10 yards instead ?

I'll call a spade a spade. Officiating has gotten progressively worse, and many times we've been on the worse end of it.

You entire argument is crap. One on of plays Jimmy's left hand was grabbed, not his right hand.

:sarcasm_off:

:irishdrinkers:

nash72

Reaction score
Here was my prediction for the game. I at least got the ref part right.

nash72":3hydx5cb said:
Seattle 17
Bills 15

Of course the Seahawks will have to comeback and win in the 4th and we will receive help from the refs during the game as some makeup is due.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
olyfan63":3s4h79ru said:
The field goal call non-roughing call was one the on-field refs got right.

It's a joke for the NFL talking heads to weigh in and say it should have been a personal foul. That's the NFL being drama queens and trying to stir the pot. The announcers were probably instructed to play this up by a producer behind the scenes. Makes for better drama and fits the storyline better.

The Seahawks are being cast in the role of a "villain" team by the WWE... er, I mean NFL. So I bet the announcers were told they have to stick to the storyline.

There was no personal foul, by rule, but it was entertaining how quickly the kicker "recovered" from the impact and was well enough to kick again. Poetic justice he had to leave the game for a play. Then Kudos to Rex Ryan for figuring out to spike the ball quickly with 3 seconds left.

I find it a little humorous that the NFL would cast a team with the church lady at QB as the villains (not saying it isn't happening, the idea just makes me chuckle.) You would think with all the image problems they have going on, they would want to put Wilson out front and make him look as good as possible.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2bi3gy6y said:
Last week this forum was overran with topics about how the refs screwed us over and cost us the game.

Well....One week later, and we get some help from the refs.

While I'm not sure why the NFL is saying it should have been a personal foul on Sherman, there is no doubt that the refs should have blown the play dead the moment Sherman crossed the line of scrimmage. And the delay of game that moved the Bills back 5 yards to make it a longer field goal was also an error by the refs. If you watch, they blow the whistle to start the play with three seconds on the play clock.

Pretty poor officiating. Unfortunately we were on the wrong side last week, and the Bills were on the wrong side this week.

So...thank you refs :D

Officiating was even weird in our Rams/Panthers game - mostly as it was striking that in the beginning/first half there were almost no flags. It was weird.

Wouldn't it be nice if as fans we didn't need to finish some weeks discussing: Refs sucked against us this game or Refs sucked and it was in our favor this game.

Seriously seems like a problem the NFL has enough $$ to fix. Us fans really can do nothing about it.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
Hawks46":2tmpkz36 said:

Thank you, I was wondering why no one had mentioned this. Were it not for the spectacular one handed nabs by Graham, those would have been incomplete, because there certainly weren't any flags forthcoming from the Refs.

Even Gruden seemed intent on highlighting only the poor calls going the Seahawk's way, and rarely mentioned anything about the obvious "non-calls" going the Bills favor. Give me a break.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Why didn't Carpenter get called for kicking Sherm with his knee? Dumb@ss refs!

:mrgreen:

JustTheTip

Reaction score
MagnificentSeven":1e1n64uo said:
Hawks46":1e1n64uo said:

Thank you, I was wondering why no one had mentioned this. Were it not for the spectacular one handed nabs by Graham, those would have been incomplete, because there certainly weren't any flags forthcoming from the Refs.

Even Gruden seemed intent on highlighting only the poor calls going the Seahawk's way, and rarely mentioned anything about the obvious "non-calls" going the Bills favor. Give me a break.

Again, there was a flag on the first one. Also, Gruden did mention some of the non-calls against the Bills by stating "I like that non-call, you have to let them play."

SeaChat

Reaction score
Did Sherman take off before the snap, absolutely, an offside call was totally appropriate, whether he heard the whistle or not, by the way did anyone else not hear the whistle? if you watch the footage of the entire incident, I still can't hear the whistle. Obviously neither did most of the other players, because the center snapped the ball, the ball holder placed it for a field goal kick attempt, and Richard got his hand on the ball and got kicked himself by the kicker.

My understanding of the rules at that point is that any incidental contact with the kicker, if you touch the ball, is not to be viewed as or penalized as roughing the kicker. The kicker initiated the contact with Sherman, all Sherman did was block the kick and fall on the ground where he was kicked and from there all was history.

As to the ongoing questionable lopsided officiating as it pertains to the Seattle Seahawks? You would have to be in total denial, or just don't understand what punishable offenses are exactly, and if they do occur, when or when they should not be called at all, or simply believe that the Seahawks players have decided to ignore years of training and experience and convert themselves from the lowest penalized team in the NFL to the most, or very near to that.

How many times during the course of the game did you see Seahawk players pleading with the referees to do their job and put a stop to the repeated offenses being committed against them, play after play, and those same penalties drawing flags on Seahawk players, were not being evenly called against the Bills.

I for one refuse to put my head in the sand and pretend that there is anything but a hard on for the Seattle Seahawks from the New York NFL offices and their use of the direct communications with the referees wherein they are directed on how to officiate each game. When you listened to guy from the NY head office weigh in yesterday during and after the game, which by the way was unprecedented, all ramped up trying to villainize Sherman as though he believed him to be a crazed mad man, who intentionally set out to injure the kicker.

I'll tell you why too, because Richard Sherman has had the guts and the integrity to call the NFL on their crap, publically and repeatedly, knowing full well that he might become targeted by them on the field and off, and it appears that his concerns might not be unwarranted.

If Richard is fined by the NFL I don't suppose it's reasonable that the 12 could come together and raise enough to pay it, since the NFL likes to hit players for more than 20 of us a year earn collectively, but it would be nice if we could or at least take up a token collection to show him our support.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I don't know if fines for the week have been handed out yet, but I would be shocked, shocked if he got one. I almost hope he does because then he can appeal and explain to them why they are stupid. They should put the appeal on TV. THAT would be great television.