League-Wide Trend

Seattle Person

Reaction score
With the NFL going to more 2 high safety looks and more 2-4-5 formations -- it seems like a league-wide trend is to blitz the nickel CB on both run and pass downs.

For the run it actually puts the 8th defender in the box. For the pass it gives an extra rusher that can come from anywhere.

So you can see why the Hawks were so giddy about Witherspoon playing the nickel during training camp. Just some food for thought.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Another league wide trend im seeing... a lot of players tackling WRs by the neck/helm.

But you are on to something watching a few games and IM seeing it. Buy the NFL is a copy cat league

OP
OP
S

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Yeah, when somebody does something "new" and it works, other teams start doing it.

It's not really new. The Hawks started doing this even in the pre-season. I don't think it's a Seahawks created thing. My point was this is how defenses are keeping 2 high but adding an extra man down in the box.

sutz

Reaction score
It's not really new. The Hawks started doing this even in the pre-season. I don't think it's a Seahawks created thing. My point was this is how defenses are keeping 2 high but adding an extra man down in the box.
That's why I added the quotes. CB blitzes have been happening for years. I don't disagree with your other points either. We need to get on the shtick and start attacking the pocket from different angles, for sure. Nice to see Hurtt doing that more often.

Mick063

Reaction score
Copycat league.

It won't be long until teams start investing heavily into slot corner. Cooper Kupp opened everyone's eyes about the slot position and with the way that this new rook for the Rams is playing, people are starting to wonder if it is more of a scheme "plug and play" situation than it was the skill level of Kupp.

Regardless, it appears Seattle drafted with this same cutting-edge mentality by taking JSN AND Witherspoon in the first round. VERY nickel orientated. They know that the Ram's offensive minds are on to something here.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Another league wide trend im seeing... a lot of players tackling WRs by the neck/helm.
Yea - I noticed that too. Seen 4 or 5 dudes 'wrestled' down by the neck in the last couple weeks.

I was wondering what's up with that.

renofox

Reaction score
Corner/Safety Blitz used to be a much bigger thing, used quite a bit.

I don't know why it pretty much went away for a while, but it is making a comeback.

What's old is new, again.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
With the NFL going to more 2 high safety looks and more 2-4-5 formations -- it seems like a league-wide trend is to blitz the nickel CB on both run and pass downs.

For the run it actually puts the 8th defender in the box. For the pass it gives an extra rusher that can come from anywhere.

So you can see why the Hawks were so giddy about Witherspoon playing the nickel during training camp. Just some food for thought.

I think it comes down to the fact that Nickel is the new Base. That means you only have two off ball LB's and 5 DB's to use as your extra pass rushers. Numbers alone mean you're going to be sending a DB more often. Basically trying to mix things up, DB's from the edge, LB's into the A gaps, keeps the offence guessing.

But yes, you want to have your slot guy with a wide variety of skills if you can. I think in many ways they are more important than boundary corners in today's NFL.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Yea - I noticed that too. Seen 4 or 5 dudes 'wrestled' down by the neck in the last couple weeks.

I was wondering what's up with that.
I noticed it in preseason with some tackles on our guys when they did play, and dismissed them like “meh its new guys just trying to win the tackle” then as regular season started, I seeing in different games its not just “new guys trying to make tackles or win” these dudes are grabbing at the neck and bottoms of the helmets.

Ive seen it with DK and Lockett a lot. Especially dbs tackling DK.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The problem with a two high safety scheme with a nickel defender “blitzing” a lot is when you go against a power running team, you become more vulnerable for getting exposed on run defense.

It’s going to be real interesting to see if Seattle can stop a power running team, such as, the Niners, Rams and Eagles.

If Seattle can hold their own against the Niners rushing attack, Seattle, can be legit.

However, Seattle’s offense, has not been looking great…

It’s almost as if, Seattle, when they are decent/good defensively, they are inconsistent offensively, and vice versa.

Get it together, man!

I wanna be able to compete against the Niners and not get totally embarrassed like the Cowboys did against them!

JPatera76

Reaction score
The problem with a two high safety scheme with a nickel defender “blitzing” a lot is when you go against a power running team, you become more vulnerable for getting exposed on run defense.

It’s going to be real interesting to see if Seattle can stop a power running team, such as, the Niners, Rams and Eagles.

If Seattle can hold their own against the Niners rushing attack, Seattle, can be legit.

However, Seattle’s offense, has not been looking great…

It’s almost as if, Seattle, when they are decent/good defensively, they are inconsistent offensively, and vice versa.

Get it together, man!

I wanna be able to compete against the Niners and not get totally embarrassed like the Cowboys did against them!
Let’s be real…. Not even the cowboys loss was an embarrassment.. that’s reserved and held solely for the Broncos and the ass kicking they took in Miami lol

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I noticed it in preseason with some tackles on our guys when they did play, and dismissed them like “meh its new guys just trying to win the tackle” then as regular season started, I seeing in different games its not just “new guys trying to make tackles or win” these dudes are grabbing at the neck and bottoms of the helmets.

Ive seen it with DK and Lockett a lot. Especially dbs tackling DK.
It looks like steer wrestling at the calgary stampede.....