Kevin Norwood released (UPDATED: Traded to Panthers)

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Rat":3db5jhr8 said:
I'm guessing it's a fourth rounder we're getting, to match what we gave them for Keary Colbert that one year we went all Panthers Current WR Situation on the league.

One of the dumbest trades in Seahawks history in my opinion. Holmgrem didn't value draft picks the same way this regime does.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I consider this great. We get a draft pick (even a 2017 7th rounder is better than nothing, if that is what it is) and we have two better athletes to develop at WR on bare minimum $435k deals.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":toxyvciw said:
Couple Of Thoughts:

#1 Drafting isn't about hitting on quality players as it is securing potential talent that you think fit best with the team.

The higher the pick the longer your leash is to develop that talent but thats about it. These players still have to compete to stick and the Seahawks are one of the best in the NFL at mining for UDFA gems.

#2 Im not angry at the Harvin trade. Sure it was horrendous in hindsight, sure the Seahawks wasted cap and draft resources that they could have used to build a stronger team.

But No Harvin = No Tate = No Tyler Lockett.

Lockett may not worth the cap saved from Harvin nor the 7 draft picks to acquire Harvin and himself but damn it, Lockett is going to be special and after seeing his talent and ability I wouldnt want any other WR to build the future of the passing game with Wilson and Graham.

That kind of thinking gets you players like Irvin vs a guy like Fletcher Cox the draft is about quality talent.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
It's unfortunate for him that he wasn't still injured. Richardson has shown very little, but is saved by being on the PUP.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Here's what we get (according to Rob Rang):

The Seahawks will receive a 7th round pick in 2017 if Norwood makes Carolina's roster and appears in games during the regular season. He's likely to do so as the Panthers have suffered significant injuries at the position recently with 2014 first round pick Kelvin Benjamin tearing his ACL and 2015 second round pick Devin Funchess struggling with a nagging hamstring injury.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/seahawks/story/1580907-seahawks-announce-cuts-trade-kevin-norwood

Basis4day

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":1xhrmyql said:
It's unfortunate for him that he wasn't still injured. Richardson has shown very little, but is saved by being on the PUP.

I don't think i'd agree with that. He showed a lot of improvement during the last six games of the regular season before getting hurt in the playoffs. He was still a rookie last year. It can take WR time to develop in the NFL. Remember Golden Tate?

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Not surprised, but happy they got a pick for him. They tend to cut players that would seem as possible trade bait. So nice to see this trade. With the current group he was unlikely to make it early in the preseason

seedhawk

Reaction score
I think this is more of a "we can't really use him" kind of trade. Norwood is a possession receiver, and his game is built on being in the right spot at the right time. Usually he actually is, but RW in scramble mode negates what Norwood brings.

Not a knock on Norwood that we made the trade, more like, here he is a fish out of water, there he just might have a chance, yet, we are not worried he is still in the same conference.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":318wha1a said:

Um... what? Richardson was getting better every week before the injury. Norwood couldn't even get on the field when healthy.

mikeak

Reaction score
You can really use twitter for this if you are smart.

Put the rumor out there you are cutting someone........wait........get someone to offer a trade as other rumors circulate who will try to sign him

Secondly - if he turns into a star with the Panthers then maybe we are good at evaluating WR talent but bad at using it. Very interested to see what happens.

Lastly - end of the season Richardson was IMHO one of our best receivers absolutely great. Saying he is saved by the PUP is really strange to me

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":ccvxkxd1 said:
kearly":ccvxkxd1 said:
Missing_Clink":ccvxkxd1 said:
Won't be surprised to see PRich added to the pile at some point this year or next offseason. This team's inability to evaluate WR talent is fairly astounding.

If that does happen it will probably be because of the injury bug. Richardson is an elite talent in the quick passing game. And I say this as someone who didn't like the Richardson pick when it went down.

Agree 100% on Richardson for elite. His ability to snatch that ball out of the air is fantastic

Elite? Think of all the great receivers that have played this game. Paul Richardson belongs in that company? He has talent but he isn't elite in any particular way. And, as I said when we drafted him, his build lends itself to injury. He had a knee injury in college and now one in the NFL. If you are relying on an injury-prone guy to significantly help our pedestrian receiving corps you are Dale Carnegie's heir apparent.

The real question is why is Schneider soooo bad at evaluating offensive players? I know that even the best GM's whiff on players, but Clipboard Jesus, Harvin, Carpenter, Noorwood, C. Mike, Harper, Durham, Moffitt, and now Poole. That's a lot of draft capital down the toilet. Besides Russ, only Golden Tate was a hit and then the team let him walk...

Love JS but he needs to hire better scouts or a consultant capable of evaluating offensive players.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":2b00sppt said:
mikeak":2b00sppt said:
kearly":2b00sppt said:
Missing_Clink":2b00sppt said:
Won't be surprised to see PRich added to the pile at some point this year or next offseason. This team's inability to evaluate WR talent is fairly astounding.

If that does happen it will probably be because of the injury bug. Richardson is an elite talent in the quick passing game. And I say this as someone who didn't like the Richardson pick when it went down.

Agree 100% on Richardson for elite. His ability to snatch that ball out of the air is fantastic

Elite? Think of all the great receivers that have played this game. Paul Richardson belongs in that company? He has talent but he isn't elite in any particular way. And, as I said when we drafted him, his build lends itself to injury. He had a knee injury in college and now one in the NFL. If you are relying on an injury-prone guy to significantly help our pedestrian receiving corps you are Dale Carnegie's heir apparent.

The real question is why is Schneider soooo bad at evaluating offensive players? I know that even the best GM's whiff on players, but Clipboard Jesus, Harvin, Carpenter, Noorwood, C. Mike, Harper, Durham, Moffitt, and now Poole. That's a lot of draft capital down the toilet. Besides Russ, only Golden Tate was a hit and then the team let him walk...

Love JS but he needs to hire better scouts or a consultant capable of evaluating offensive players.

Wilson, Michael Robinson, Zach Miller, Giachomini, Baldwin, Lynch, Turbin, Tate and Sweezy have been capable players to Pro-Bowlers. They're just not becoming 5th rd all-pros like Sherman.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":2wn8w5ck said:
mikeak":2wn8w5ck said:
kearly":2wn8w5ck said:
Missing_Clink":2wn8w5ck said:

Carroll is the best defensive talent evaluator in the league, so that helps.

Russell was a pretty big hit in the 3rd Round. That's as good as it gets. Okung was a Pro Bowler. Tate is now a Pro Bowler. Carpenter was a part-time starter for four seasons and signed a four year/$19.1 million deal with the Jets. Sweezy in the 7th Round was an excellent pick. Britt started at RT and has looked solid during his early transition to LG. Turbin has been an adequate 3rd down back/receiver/blocker, which is not bad for a 4th Rounder. Willson was a solid pick in the 5th Round as a 2nd TE. McCoy, as a 6th Rounder, was derailed by injuries. Michael is a great athlete, but probably somewhat of a reach based on his lack of production and ball security. Richardson is TBD. Glowinski is also TBD but has looked solid at RG. Poole is TBD as a backup OT. Sokoli is a big project but also an amazing athlete and TBD.

Not every pick is going to be a hit, but they have done an above average job on the offensive side, especially considering that they have devoted fewer picks to that side of the ball.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Also, On both Super Bowl teams. Weren't the only two players left over from Ruskell era Unger and John Ryan? That means every other player on the teams from PC/JS were scouted and acquired by that office. So they scouted an offense good enough to get to two super bowls and win one.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2x0383mu said:
hawknation2015":2x0383mu said:
Recon_Hawk":2x0383mu said:
Basis4day":2x0383mu said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/638436263801028608[/tweet]

Better than nothing! I'm guessing a 2016 7th rounder. Still disappointing missing on another 4th round receiver.

It's not so much a 4th round miss as it is Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams coming out of nowhere.

And Chris Matthews.

Pretty much how I see it too. Norwood is a serviceable NFL receiver, just not a fit on this team. And the other two guys mentioned bring it on Special Teams, just like Kearse (punt blocks, etc.) does.

I think unloading Norwood says FAR MORE about how the 'Hawks feel about the rest of the receiver group, including Matthews, KSmith, and KWill, than it does about PC/JS receiver draft acumen. It also says more about what Seattle values in WR's; including Special Teams and RUN BLOCKING. It also says more about just how difficult, how precise the WR position is in the NFL, particularly the Seahawks version, and how big the jump is from college to the NFL is, and what an individual, hit-and-miss process making that jump is. Just ask Golden Tate.

Best of luck to Norwood in Carolina. He'll probably do well for them and earn us a draft pick.

kearly

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":2k4b4jfc said:
Elite? Think of all the great receivers that have played this game. Paul Richardson belongs in that company?

Hell no. But is he elite in the quick passing game? For sure. As a rookie he helped make Russell Wilson the 2014 season's highest passer rating QB on passes thrown in under 2 seconds.

I see Richardson's overall potential as something along the lines of Emmanuel Sanders. Richardson isn't a #1, but he's a difference maker and our offense misses him. It is too soon to crown him anything, especially with his injury issues. But before he got hurt, it felt like he was well on his way to becoming our most valuable receiver.

Laloosh

Reaction score
kearly":2irrc1fz said:
Thunderhawk":2irrc1fz said:
Elite? Think of all the great receivers that have played this game. Paul Richardson belongs in that company?

Hell no. But is he elite at route running? For sure. As a rookie he helped make Russell Wilson the 2014 season's highest passer rating QB on passes thrown in under 2 seconds.

I see Richardson's overall potential as something along the lines of Emmanuel Sanders. Richardson isn't a #1, but he's a difference maker and our offense misses him.

Hadn't heard that stat. Reading that was like finding a 20 in the laundry.

duckypoo

Reaction score
How many threads will we have in 2.5 years during the 2017 draft going "Why do we have 3x 7th round picks?"

And then collectively remembering that we employed a Kevin Norwood for a hot minute.

Latest posts