Keep an eye out for new poster PeterMP

mikeak

Reaction score
There are several early ones where he has a "wildcat pitch option" and he doesn't use it instead takes a hit for a loss. This may sound wrong but the RB is better built for those hits. Take the option that is clearly part of the design and get out of the way

secondly there is a run to the right for a loss of 5 yards. He just takes it at the sideline.

RW had a very similiar run play last year - sweep type of play. Gets towards the sidelines and throws the ball out-of-bounds. I believe the refs screwed up on that and he got a loss of 1-2 yards but it is irrelevant. The point was the awareness (I have wondered for years why RB's don't do this more). Rather an incomplete back to the line of scrimmage over taking a 5 yard loss on the play...

and about the hit. I don't recall us running very many RO plays straight up the gut like RG3 is doing on this video. That is opening your guy up for a lot of trouble. But it isn't like the Redskins went all in on this guy and will be hurt as a franchise for years if he gets knocked out of the game.........oh wait

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Damn! Tough watching your QB get smashed like that.

I would be pissed at ol red skin the coach, too. Couple of those options the D is unblocked and just unloads on Griffin, he pitches out to the RB for a minimal gain. Waste and stupid.

The Niners RO accounts for QB protection much, much better than the redforeskins

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
I had never seen a highlights vid of RGIII from last year, that was eye-opening.

You could see him get better and better throughout the season until the last 4 or 5 games where he started to wear down and then with the banged up knee. The video-maker didn't bother showing the carnage from the playoffs.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
WOW.... rag-doll and reckless come to mind when watching RGIII.

He doesn't look like he knows how to slide and he also runs inside/cuts back inside much more than Wilson. Wilson always angle towards the sidelines and knows when to get down. Good thing they have Cousins.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I found that video hilarious.

RG3 thinks he's invincible and Shanny is going to drive that kid into the ground, good luck getting a second contract out of him if they keep this style of play up.

Can't help but laugh.

I'm glad Russell knows when to get down and keeps himself out of situations that could cause harm. Then again, he has a great track record when it comes to steering clear of injury.

JFair

Reaction score
Interesting video. He does take some pretty good shots.

Funny how all I hear from local fans is that it's only a matter of time before Wilson gets hurt running that read option. I don't even remotely consider the Seahawks as a read option team. Did we run it at times when the defense was giving it away...yes (Buffalo, Chicago). Most other games it was used sparingly.

The Redskins need to be more selective with running it too. RGIII won't last long taking those hits. Would like to hear PeterMP's thoughts.

OP
OP
The Radish

The Radish

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":1qmb28zh said:
I found that video hilarious.

RG3 thinks he's invincible and Shanny is going to drive that kid into the ground, good luck getting a second contract out of him if they keep this style of play up.

Can't help but laugh.

I'm glad Russell knows when to get down and keeps himself out of situations that could cause harm. Then again, he has a great track record when it comes to steering clear of injury.

Shanahan has a history of destroying his running backs. He'll run them until they are beyond repairing, discard them and bring in a new guy. Did the same thing in Denver. It just happens this back is the franchise and he still doesn't care!

:roll:

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
That video was pretty brutal. He takes so many hard hits and awkward landings I'm surprised he made it through some of those games. As others have posted, I don't know what Shanahan was doing running the RO up multiple scores in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Have your RB's pound the rock, not put your crown jewel at risk...

Beyond the hits, he is somewhat of an awkward runner. A lot of runs where he is trying to get around the corner/tacklers, his upper body leads his lower body waaaay too much. He is very quick in a straight line and slashing runs, but it seems like he doesn't have the fluidity in his hips to keep up with his legs. I think his running style alone is enough to put pre-mature wear on tear and his knees and other joints.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
JFair":19iwfz9j said:
Interesting video. He does take some pretty good shots.

Funny how all I hear from local fans is that it's only a matter of time before Wilson gets hurt running that read option. I don't even remotely consider the Seahawks as a read option team. Did we run it at times when the defense was giving it away...yes (Buffalo, Chicago). Most other games it was used sparingly.

The Redskins need to be more selective with running it too. RGIII won't last long taking those hits. Would like to hear PeterMP's thoughts.

I'm with you. I can't back it up with stats or anything but I don't think we used the read option as often as people think. It just seemed that way since Wilson had to run it at times because of protection breaking down or whatever.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
JFair":hwvw27rf said:

Yep, the thing is, the medidiots go through this progression: "your team runs the Read Option, opposing defensive coordinators will figure it out, your QB is going to get killed." However, they site Washington as the example, lump Seattle (and SF) in there and call them the same. They're NOT the same. Washington uses it as their "bread and butter" and the Hawks use it as a "wrinkle." RGIII takes a hit; Wilson minimizes the hit.

This example is a reoccurring theme - not just in the NFL, not just in football, not just in sports, but in LIFE. People take an isolated example and try to take that example and apply it to a large group. We try to use statistics to predict unrelated events. Because X team was unsuccessful doing such-n-such, Y team will also be unsuccessful at same such-n-such. Your franchise hasn't done X in 20 years, your current team will also not do X either. You can apply this kind of "lazy thinking" to just about EVERY SOCIETAL ISSUE TODAY. X person did this to Y person so ALL "X people" are a like and ALL "Y people" are a like, yada-yada-yada.

HOWEVER, if one very specific group repeats a particular pattern with most of the same elements (i.e. specific players and their coaches and their philosophies, tendencies, etc., etc.) then you can start to "predict" an event based on a controlled set of information on THAT group. That is where Washington could run into trouble. And where the Seahawks could actually benefit from all this talk about "figuring out" the RO. If an opposing team focuses on "stopping" the RO on us, we will burn them with something else. Stay one (or more!) steps in ahead of your opponents. This is where Russell's work ethic will REALLY start to show and prove over and over again to be the intangible factor.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1baprpzt said:
That video was pretty brutal. He takes so many hard hits and awkward landings I'm surprised he made it through some of those games. As others have posted, I don't know what Shanahan was doing running the RO up multiple scores in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Have your RB's pound the rock, not put your crown jewel at risk...

Beyond the hits, he is somewhat of an awkward runner. A lot of runs where he is trying to get around the corner/tacklers, his upper body leads his lower body waaaay too much. He is very quick in a straight line and slashing runs, but it seems like he doesn't have the fluidity in his hips to keep up with his legs. I think his running style alone is enough to put pre-mature wear on tear and his knees and other joints.

With you on that one. Earlywine and myself both described him as a gangly runner who was going to get hurt bad, before he was on the Skins.

chris98251

Reaction score
We use the read option as a wrinkle as you said, but also use the formation to bait the defense into cheating up to try to stop it only to have different player assignments from that same formation. Once a player on defense commits to going forward changing direction is a two second loss and bye bye the receiver is open or the back has cut thru where that player was.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
The Radish":364o7ao8 said:
Shanahan has a history of destroying his running backs. He'll run them until they are beyond repairing, discard them and bring in a new guy. Did the same thing in Denver. It just happens this back is the franchise and he still doesn't care!

:roll:

yeah he does, which is where I find the humor. If this continues and RG3 is out of the league in three years, skins fans will be shocked as if they never saw this coming. Which will certainly bring more laughs. This whole situation is mind numbingly dumb and comical.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3m5yuf7t said:
With you on that one. Earlywine and myself both described him as a gangly runner who was going to get hurt bad, before he was on the Skins.

A gangly runner would be a good description, definitely. He's almost like the kid you grew up with that had super long legs and never really grew into them.

kearly

Reaction score
Great post and interesting video. Here are the differences between Wilson and RG3 as zone read runners.

#1: Wilson has very few QB keepers that were designed that way before the snap. By contrast, for Griffin there are a lot of "play action" type keepers that really weren't read options at all.

#2: Seattle only runs read option 20% of the time.

#3: Griffin is a very talented runner, but also very aggressive. Wilson is fast but extremely conservative. Wilson will give up a couple yards to take a safer slide. Even when RG3 slides, he usually does so at the last instant and still takes a hit. In the red zone, Wilson will only run it in when he knows he has an easy, contact free TD. Griffin is more like Jake Locker, he lowers the shoulder and hulks his way through. This is nice because it's resulted in quite a few TDs, but probably impacts his long term health and might not be worth it in the long run.

#4: Wilson does a lot of thinking before he decides to run. He might be the NFL's least decisive runner among the read option QBs. Kaepernick is the most decisive. RG3 is a close 2nd. Decisiveness is good for rushing effectiveness, but decisive QBs also call their number a few times a game when they shouldn't and take a hit as a result. Again, this is an area where Wilson keeps things conservative.

#5: I'd guess that least half of Wilson's rushes last year started off as passing plays. He really is more of a scrambler than a rusher. In terms of mobility, he's more like (a faster) Aaron Rodgers than Colin Kaepernick. RG3 scrambles on pass plays too, but it is less of his rushing total.

#6: Wilson is short, but has excellent BMI/bulk. He has a virtually spotless injury history. He knows how to protect his body and has a talent for taking glancing blows- he's drawn a lot of comparisons to Barry Sanders for how he takes a hit. RG3 has long, skinny legs, high, wobbly looking knees, and very little talent for sliding. In a lot of cases, he'll curl up in the fetal position and slide leading with the back of his head. Not smart. RG3 had an awful injury history coming out of college, so last year really shouldn't be a surprise. He needs to evolve his game or the Michael Vick comparisons will come true.

#7: RG3 is a strider, Wilson is more fluid. RG3 is faster, but Wilson is more elusive.

If the NFL played flag football, RG3 would be the league MVP without a doubt. He's got so much talent for both running and passing the ball. Really his only problem sometimes is decision making (as a runner) and having a body that is designed more for the Olympics than football. I think RG3 can be a very good pocket passer so I'm not worried about his future, and he's an extremely bright guy so I'm guessing he'll adapt much faster than people expect.