Kaepernick Interviews...

DonnieDarko

Reaction score
Who said anything about hate? I've mentioned many times my admiration for Kaep. I spoke a few times to his agency pre-draft and basically got to understand he was the kind of guy I could really root for going into the league.

But there's no getting away from the fact he is being advised badly on the media front and his interviews are pathetic.

That's what this thread is about.[/quote]

I don't find any of his interviews pathetic. He's very open and forthcoming when it's the offseason. When TC starts he goes back into his business-like approach, which I really appreciate.

I can quote all of the petty shots at him just on the first page of this thread but it would get a bit redundant.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I don't hate Colin. I really wanted the Seahawks to draft him two years ago and was quite unhappy when Harbaugh and co. picked him up.

As to his public image, it could be better but it could certainly be far worse as well. I'm not at all fond of his tattoos and think they do make him look more (stereotypically) "thuggish"--but I think that about all the athletes and musicians who are tatted up. It's just not a look of which I'm particularly fond. In my opinion he does need to improve his interviewing skills somewhat, but he's hardly alone in that regard. I think the bicep kissing is stupid. I think that he needs to realize that he's now the face of the franchise--whether he likes it or not--and that wearing another team's gear and then getting snarky with fans isn't going to go over well with many people.

None of these issues should really be a big deal overall, but they will get talked about in the media and on message boards. That's just the way it is these days. None of us is completely immune to getting caught up in it either.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
This thread is funny. Hey Niner fans nobody hates Kaep ya maroons, we hate you and we know how sensitive you are and can't resist taking the bait. It's really very comical.

As for Kaeps intelligence, it's pretty obvious he could probably tell us the material, thread count and style of that Miami hat but what else is obvious is all that intelligence is wasted when he doesn't have the common sense not to wear it.

That lack of common sense is magnified by the obvious lack of maturity and insecurity. Sorry but those things stand out and everyone (not just Seahawks fans) will make fun of it.

Would I support him if he were a Seahawk? As long as we were winning but I would be embarrassed by his actions just like the Hasselbeck and Dilfer shirtless picture. I have never tried to defend him for that and even being my favorite all time Seahawk I don't, haven't and never will make excuses for it.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Hey Hawk Fans, in a strictly Fantasy Football sense (normal ESPN scoring), who will have a better year? Most prognostications have both guys scoring about the same:

Russell Wilson:
ESPN Forecast: 3150 yds passing, 526 yds Rushing, 31 passing TDs (unspecified rushing TDs)
Wilson has sleeper appeal, but losing Percy Harvin to a serious hip injury creates enough concern that we're not quite biting yet. Without Harvin, the Seahawks offense looks the same as '12. Hey, Wilson was a nice rookie surprise, but despite starting all 16 games, he tied for 25th in pass attempts and threw for only 3,118 yards; only Christian Ponder had fewer among QBs who played the entire season. Of course, Wilson's rushing isn't going anywhere: His 489 yards were third-best among QBs. In a more air-based offense, we'd be all aboard the Wilson hype train. But with relatively few passes called in the Pacific Northwest and the same cast of characters around Wilson, we're still waiting at the station.

Colin Kaepernick:
ESPN Forecast: 3833 yds passing, 590 yds Rushing, 27 passing TDs (unspecified rushing TDs)
Kaepernick's physical tools are an unholy amalgam of Cam Newton, Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck, and when the 49ers unleashed the full power of their read-option attack in the playoffs, he was well-nigh unstoppable. Big-armed, accurate, athletic freaks who break 50-yard TD runs don't grow on trees. A couple drawbacks: We're not positive Jim Harbaugh will unshackle Kap's downfield ability, given the team's lack of a proven speed receiver, plus when a QB runs the chances for an injury increase. But Kaepernick started seven regular-season games last year, and his prorated stats would've been 3,675 pass yards, 544 rush yards, 23 pass TDs and five rush TDs. That would've made him fantasy's No. 9 QB, and he was just getting started. We're buying.

look@dafilm

Reaction score
Marvin49":1drs1m7t said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1drs1m7t said:
look@dafilm":1drs1m7t said:
Maybe its because I'm so used to such an amazing coach by now but I don't think there's anything wrong with having (and showing even) contempt for the media in sports. They serve almost no purpose and certainly no benefit for any team. Maybe thats your problem with him, as he treats the media the way Harbaugh and Belicheck do: with short indirect "answers" to the media's almost useless questions. Thy seem very disinterested, bored even and try to bore you. It could be because Harbaugh set the bar so high for me, but nothing is wrong at all with the way Kaep interviews.

Talk about being a complete homer.

Here's the thing.... Kaepernick is being a hypocrite. He's talking to the media on his terms. So what that means is we get a lovely documentary on his love for shoes. He gets money to appear in a high profile magazine. In both instances he interviewed like an actual human being. He was open, courteous and likeable.

Then the local press, who as far as I'm aware have not done anything to deserve any "contempt", get the spoilt teenager routine. The "I'm going to see how unhelpful I can be for the sake of it, just because I can." Not only is it deeply arrogant and offensive to the people who have turned up to speak to him so that the fans can get an insight into training camp, it's completely unnecessary. And let me remind you, those local guys are not the big hitting national types on big money. They're guys like me and you just trying to earn an honest living.

Now if he wants to hold great contempt for the local humble media, that's fine. But don't do the thing about the shoes. Don't appear in magazines. Harbaugh doesn't do those things. Belichick doesn't talk about his Air Jordan collection. Kaepernick does. You can't have it both ways and expect not to look like a complete tit.

Tell that to the national reporter who decided to compare him to a San Quentin inmate because of his tattoos and the local reporter who decided to make a big deal out of Kaep not wanting to speak with his birth mother (he's adopted) and interviewing her...followed by more reporters publically crticising him for not wanting to meet the woman who first gave him up and then accepted money to talk about it on camera.

I don't agree with the previous poster that he has contempt for the media.

I think he's uncomfortable on camera and doesn't trust them because in his very short career he's already been burned.

He's also already learned that anything he says gets skewed to mean something else...just as I've already seen on this board....IE "I don't worry about what the defense is doing...I'm concerned with what we are doing" gets turned into "He doesn't watch film and refuses to learn from his mistakes".

I don't blame him even a little bit if he has contempt even tho I don't really think he does.

make no mistake Marvin, harbaugh has a decent amount of contempt for the media, and Kaep interviews just like he does. the reports of today aren't "journalists" they're TMZ wannabes. the less info and the shorter answers they're given, the better. harbaugh knows this and so does kaep. you have to absolutely squeeze answers out of them. harbaugh backs up and talks up his players no matter what (see Lockette) and part of that reason is because he knows the media is always trying to start something up. look at how poorly the non-story of kaep posing in ESPN was covered. a coach (nor player) should ever say too much in front f the camera, both of these guys know this. if people want to sit around whining about it thats there business, but it look and sounds petty as all heyal

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
look@dafilm":21rmrgid said:
the reports of today aren't "journalists" they're TMZ wannabes.

Of course they are.

paranoid_definition_rectangle_sticker-r124fa79a94b94f40836767b0994406da_v9wxo_8byvr_512.jpg

I love the fear emanating from the 49ers fans. It's glorious.

PS

It's "Reporters" not "reports".

Throwdown

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2ddw1em4 said:
This thread is funny. Hey Niner fans nobody hates Kaep ya maroons, we hate you and we know how sensitive you are and can't resist taking the bait. It's really very comical.

As for Kaeps intelligence, it's pretty obvious he could probably tell us the material, thread count and style of that Miami hat but what else is obvious is all that intelligence is wasted when he doesn't have the common sense not to wear it.

That lack of common sense is magnified by the obvious lack of maturity and insecurity. Sorry but those things stand out and everyone (not just Seahawks fans) will make fun of it.

Would I support him if he were a Seahawk? As long as we were winning but I would be embarrassed by his actions just like the Hasselbeck and Dilfer shirtless picture. I have never tried to defend him for that and even being my favorite all time Seahawk I don't, haven't and never will make excuses for it.

I do not hate 49er fans, after the invasion of Rams fans, I now have a little love for our resident 49er fans.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
look@dafilm":3fc6nfjp said:
make no mistake Marvin, harbaugh has a decent amount of contempt for the media, and Kaep interviews just like he does. the reports of today aren't "journalists" they're TMZ wannabes. the less info and the shorter answers they're given, the better. harbaugh knows this and so does kaep. you have to absolutely squeeze answers out of them. harbaugh backs up and talks up his players no matter what (see Lockette) and part of that reason is because he knows the media is always trying to start something up. look at how poorly the non-story of kaep posing in ESPN was covered. a coach (nor player) should ever say too much in front f the camera, both of these guys know this. if people want to sit around whining about it thats there business, but it look and sounds petty as all heyal

STFU. Both idiots are under the impression that if they say much, they will give an edge to their opponents. Which is just stupid. Harbaugh is convinced the media is out to get him as well. If he would stop being a dick, they would stop trying to get him. And don't think he is somehow more moral than those TMZ wannabes as you describe them, when he needs to he plants media stories (like after Crabs gets hurt all of the sudden Lockette is doing well).

YOu would think your scripture bedecked, cross festooned QB would of all people know to treat people the way he wants to be treated. Treating every reporter like they are trying to weasel gold out of Fort Knox if they ask about your receiver corps is a recipe to make them even more antagonistic when you have a few real failures to talk about. Just watch. If things get tough, it will get worse for he and Harbs, it's the bed they made.

So to sum up your dumb stance, Jim and Kaep are dicks because the media are dicks. You can't believe anything they say about Kaepernick unless it is a positive report from training camp, then by golly, that shit is gold.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1f99anag said:
look@dafilm":1f99anag said:

STFU. Both idiots are under the impression that if they say much, they will give an edge to their opponents. Which is just stupid. Harbaugh is convinced the media is out to get him as well. If he would stop being a dick, they would stop trying to get him. And don't think he is somehow more moral than those TMZ wannabes as you describe them, when he needs to he plants media stories (like after Crabs gets hurt all of the sudden Lockette is doing well).

YOu would think your scripture bedecked, cross festooned QB would of all people know to treat people the way he wants to be treated. Treating every reporter like they are trying to weasel gold out of Fort Knox if they ask about your receiver corps is a recipe to make them even more antagonistic when you have a few real failures to talk about. Just watch. If things get tough, it will get worse for he and Harbs, it's the bed they made.

So to sum up your dumb stance, Jim and Kaep are dicks because the media are dicks. You can't believe anything they say about Kaepernick unless it is a positive report from training camp, then by golly, that shit is gold.

GOLD Jerry!!! GOLD!!!!

DonnieDarko

Reaction score
sc85sis":27isqdy8 said:
I don't hate Colin. I really wanted the Seahawks to draft him two years ago and was quite unhappy when Harbaugh and co. picked him up.

As to his public image, it could be better but it could certainly be far worse as well. I'm not at all fond of his tattoos and think they do make him look more (stereotypically) "thuggish"--but I think that about all the athletes and musicians who are tatted up. It's just not a look of which I'm particularly fond. In my opinion he does need to improve his interviewing skills somewhat, but he's hardly alone in that regard. I think the bicep kissing is stupid. I think that he needs to realize that he's now the face of the franchise--whether he likes it or not--and that wearing another team's gear and then getting snarky with fans isn't going to go over well with many people.

None of these issues should really be a big deal overall, but they will get talked about in the media and on message boards. That's just the way it is these days. None of us is completely immune to getting caught up in it either.

Good post. :thirishdrinkers:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NinerBuff":2hpv37gf said:
Hey Hawk Fans, in a strictly Fantasy Football sense (normal ESPN scoring), who will have a better year? Most prognostications have both guys scoring about the same:

Russell Wilson:
ESPN Forecast: 3150 yds passing, 526 yds Rushing, 31 passing TDs (unspecified rushing TDs)
Wilson has sleeper appeal, but losing Percy Harvin to a serious hip injury creates enough concern that we're not quite biting yet. Without Harvin, the Seahawks offense looks the same as '12. Hey, Wilson was a nice rookie surprise, but despite starting all 16 games, he tied for 25th in pass attempts and threw for only 3,118 yards; only Christian Ponder had fewer among QBs who played the entire season. Of course, Wilson's rushing isn't going anywhere: His 489 yards were third-best among QBs. In a more air-based offense, we'd be all aboard the Wilson hype train. But with relatively few passes called in the Pacific Northwest and the same cast of characters around Wilson, we're still waiting at the station.

Colin Kaepernick:
ESPN Forecast: 3833 yds passing, 590 yds Rushing, 27 passing TDs (unspecified rushing TDs)
Kaepernick's physical tools are an unholy amalgam of Cam Newton, Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck, and when the 49ers unleashed the full power of their read-option attack in the playoffs, he was well-nigh unstoppable. Big-armed, accurate, athletic freaks who break 50-yard TD runs don't grow on trees. A couple drawbacks: We're not positive Jim Harbaugh will unshackle Kap's downfield ability, given the team's lack of a proven speed receiver, plus when a QB runs the chances for an injury increase. But Kaepernick started seven regular-season games last year, and his prorated stats would've been 3,675 pass yards, 544 rush yards, 23 pass TDs and five rush TDs. That would've made him fantasy's No. 9 QB, and he was just getting started. We're buying.
Wow. Fairly logical be still my heart. Though it does seem Harvin could be back as soon as late October if reports are to be believed and Crabtree will probably be back sometime in November so all of the above could change dramatically.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Until Kaeperstank actually does something worth hating, I won't do it.

Does he behave a little odd sometimes? Sure, he at times reminds me of a combination of a teen wannabe rapper and a trailer park mogul with high athletic skills. Weird considering the guy had what appears to be a good upbringing. Sort of a "hey everybody! Look at me!" Kind of guy. But he has a great game, looks like he just wants to enjoy the time he is having while he can because he knows in one play it could be over.

He hasn't done anything remotely as stupid as Roethlisraper. As long as he doesn't go Hernandez on anyone I respect the guy. Heck, I don't know him anyways.

frase32

Reaction score
You know I've been on record for years as saying I don't understand the obsession people have for players Off the field. I don't understand the jock sniffing, jersey wearing, get there super early so I can scream at my favorite player during warm ups adult fans. Children who are like that, ok I kinda get that. But adults who do this make me cringe. I love love love football, but I could not care less what a player does or says before or after the final whistle as long as he helps my favorite team win. Could someone explain this common phenomenon of player obsessing to me?