K.J. Wright shares why Seahawks didn’t bring him back .....

Jville

Reaction score
Specifically, why didn’t the team bring K.J. back for the 2021 season?

The answer, for those who were convinced that the team was waiting to sign him until the regular season started or to keep him on the ghost roster as injury depth or whatever other narrative one hoped to be the case, Wright’s answer cuts directly to the core of the issue: the bear front scheme. In the bear front the Seahawks rolled out in order to slow the under center, wide zone attacks of the division rival Rams and San Francisco 49ers, the team’s personnel needs were different than they had been in seasons past. In particular, the bear front the team adopted functioned much more along the lines of a 3-4, needing just two off ball linebackers and two outside linebackers who functioned more like defensive ends. [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2022/2/3/22915965/kj-wright-shares-why-seattle-seahawks-didnt-bring-him-back-2021-mayowa-dunlap-hyder-rush-bear-scheme[/urltargetblank]

nanomoz

Reaction score
So, we didn't bring K.J. Wright back because a bear front was going to be the base.

And this was done to stop the Rams.

And we lost to the Rams in both games by a combined score of 46 to 27, giving up a total of 808 yards.

Got it. Brilliant. :roll:

AgentDib

Reaction score
Was it a failure though?

The defense held the Rams to 20 and 26 points and the 49ers to 21 and 23 points. All four of those scores are below the average the Rams and 49ers scored against other teams. We weren't amazing, but that was four statistically above average performances out of four tries.

And that's from a defense that a few around here kept labeling the worst defense of all time, so something had to be working in the scheme for those games.

In my view the 3-4 makes a lot of sense given how many of the good NFL offenses there are trying to use wide concepts. It gets our faster players on the edge where they get out into space if needed to make tackles. It's how teams are going to try to defend us next season barring major shakeups.

nanomoz

Reaction score
^That's true.^ Good points.s

The degree to which McVay/Donald have Pete's number just has me pretty frustrated. They've won like 8/11 I think.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
^^^
I can understand the frustration. When I hear the name Aaron Donald, I think of guys who have put in the study time to get inside the head of Russell Wilson and call out plays and prevent an offensive from generating any rhythm or momentum. Bubba Baker is another stand out that has had excellent success at reading and calling out what's coming. Both really look forward to attacking our QB twice a year. The subject comes up in their pregame or post game press conference .... every year.

A defensive student on the field in a morphing defense is what Seattle needs to fully replace KJ's "spider instincts". Somebody that can anticipate and frustrate the other guy.