Just watched the Super Bowl again

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
My immediate thought then and now is why that pass play? If they were wasting a play, why not bootleg and have Russ throw it out of the back of the end zone if no ones open?

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3fzx4bv7 said:
Re-watched the game for the first time today. Switched it off before the final drive. Watched it two days after the SB and never again.

Anyway, while that one play has come to represent everything about that game -- on reflection for me it wasn't the main reason Seattle lost. When you're relying on one possession, one drive to win a game -- there is no margin for error.

The game was lost at 24-14 for two reasons. Firstly, the offense completely melted down. The drive for the Baldwin touchdown after the Wagner pick was a cake walk. The Pats defense looked gassed. Wilson juked Chandler Jones like he weighed 350lbs on one big run. Lynch was finding some nice holes. All they had to do was keep going. New England didn't really adjust all that much but the next two drives to follow were over as quick as a flash and NE were allowed to regain momentum. It's very difficult to work out why they didn't continue with a heavy dose of read option and using Wilson's legs. They went very conservative instead, very orthodox. Even on the fateful last drive it was sloppy -- taking shots downfield when they had all the time (and three time outs) to play it cool.

The Avril concussion was also huge. He picked it up on the Wagner interception. On his last drive SEA had NE at 3rd and 6 (just converted) and 3rd and 9 (picked) and all they were doing on 3rd down was running Gronk to the sticks and settling him down. Wagner saw it all day on the INT. Brady needed a quick out because of the pressure. With Avril gone they went back to slower crossing routes. Avril's injury was huge.

Not sure if anyone will even read this. Doubt anyone will want to. I just had to write something down after watching it again.

The Lynch Wilson read option is a huge part of this Offense , Wilson had 800 yards on the ground last year. They don't have the WR's to run a west coast type system and Wilson doesn't fit it anyway so there going to have to keep running it to be successful.