Just once can Russell say he is upset at how we played...?

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Seaswab":1bcp4b1s said:
He should own up to the fact he blew chunks most of the day

Because this would accomplish what? Catharsis for you personally?

I think we can all agree that shouldn't be a priority for him.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
chawx":qd1fvx1y said:
Missing_Clink":qd1fvx1y said:
Yea I heard his press conference and it was kind of ridiculous. I was hoping to hear a Tom Brady type statement like "we played like crap and we can't win when the offense plays like that. It starts with me." Instead he basically talked about being "just an inch off." Sorry but I'm not buying that. For most of that game, the offense barely resembled an NFL team. It was pathetic. I want him to get mad about how bad they played and own it.

We get it. You're mad about the loss and you want the team to implode, start pointing blame, lose to the Rams, and end up a wild card team in the playoffs...but seriously, make some camomile tea and turn off the internet...

Ok, next ugly loss I'll bury my head in the sand. These are the seahawks after all, and clearly everyone associated with this team is beyond reproach. Especially after a performance like the one today.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1ha7j80o said:
chawx":1ha7j80o said:
Missing_Clink":1ha7j80o said:
Yea I heard his press conference and it was kind of ridiculous. I was hoping to hear a Tom Brady type statement like "we played like crap and we can't win when the offense plays like that. It starts with me." Instead he basically talked about being "just an inch off." Sorry but I'm not buying that. For most of that game, the offense barely resembled an NFL team. It was pathetic. I want him to get mad about how bad they played and own it.

We get it. You're mad about the loss and you want the team to implode, start pointing blame, lose to the Rams, and end up a wild card team in the playoffs...but seriously, make some camomile tea and turn off the internet...

Ok, next ugly loss I'll bury my head in the sand. These are the seahawks after all, and clearly everyone associated with this team is beyond reproach. Especially after a performance like the one today.

But.......... I don't understand what b******* about it will do? Like KCHawk said how does this affect your everyday life, I get you're a fan I'm a fan and were all frustrated but losses happen. Perspective. Russell Wilson is human, hes a 2nd year QB and already one of the best QB's in the league with a pretty average line protecting him. If anyone is to sure up poor throws it's Russell Wilson, we know how hard he works at his craft.

lukerguy

Reaction score
bobincovington":nmrl33uw said:
All respect to Wilson, I just wish Russell could say once, "Man I am ticked off, I hate losing, we should have won that game" then after that he can say all the great stuff about working harder and studying the film and playing a championship game next week.

Go get em Russell! and go Hawks!

Hmm. Probably not, because then he wouldn't be RW. Part of what makes him, him, is that he is able to take emotion out of it.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1kzxdbks said:

Technically Wilson isn't wrong.

- Cardinals go ahead TD catch was a great effort by Floyd and good defense by Maxwell, who actually broke the pass up twice. Had the pass been an inch underthrown your looking at Int No. 5.

- Hauschka was inches away from converting his FG. Two plays earlier, Marshawn Lynch was inches away from scoring. Two plays earlier on defense, the Seahawks were inches away from securing a block that would have vaulted Malcolm Smith for a TD.

- Robert Turbin literally caused his own fumble by faking cut and hitting the ball against his own thigh. A few inches and a sense of ball security Turbin doesn't fumble.

- Later on an ADB kick-off return, he was inches away from an ankle tackle away of going for a TD.

- Wilson was off on a lot of passes but many were an inch of a touch or two of going for big completions. None more than game ending was it off the ground, was it off Baldwin's arm Int.

-Rashad Mendenhall fumble might have been a player or two inch out of the way to provide more clarity.

- the list could go on

So, yeah the whole game of inches was in full effect. At the end sometimes the ball bounces your way, sometimes it doesn't. Save for the Tate fumble to Kearse, it was that kind of day for the Seahawks offense and one game changing play by the Cardinals in which Michael Floyd wasn't going to be denied his focus enough to make an incredible effort to follow the ball and secure catch through solid defense by Maxwell.

Shit happens. Its the NFL. Any Given Sunday.

kf3339

Reaction score
bobincovington":64ufiwm0 said:
All respect to Wilson, I just wish Russell could say once, "Man I am ticked off, I hate losing, we should have won that game" then after that he can say all the great stuff about working harder and studying the film and playing a championship game next week.

Go get em Russell! and go Hawks!

He doesn't have the right personality for what you wish to occur. He is too even tempered to be that kind of guy. That is a positive and a negative.

Just look at Brees, Brady and Manning. They really get focal and fired up when needed on the sidelines. They will there offensive teammates to play better and the vast majority of the time it works. I have yet to personally see Wilson do this just once for our Hawks. Not once. Even in this game it was Okung that was getting the O-Line together and fired up. Not Wilson. Wilson was trying to be even tempered after the fact. That is his nature, but not the right call at that time.

It does make me very concerned about his ability going forward if he doesn't really take the leadership mantle and own it. He is still young but should be getting the picture by now.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Russell is a great leader, I'm not sure if getting fired up and emotional would help other players in certain situations. I think it all just depends on their personalities. Some guys do well under pressure some guys choke.

There is no doubt that Russell can run the offense and guys know what to do, would a few of our players maybe perform better if Russell was screaming like a mad man? Maybe, but probably even more of them would do worst.

You can tell he does care a lot and is upset in the Press Conferences he just has a level of composure and professionalism that is very rare in any profession.

I think Russell is the perfect leader for our team I know there's no way I could keep my cool like that after a loss like this.

themunn

Reaction score
It's not his personality to get fired up and emotional, and it'd look more like an act to everyone around him than what he actually does.

Sometimes a word of "right guys, this is our time" is all the team needs, it worked against Chicago right?
Hell, the refs call that an incompletion and maybe it works against the Cardinals too...

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Before our TD drive, I am pretty sure I heard the sideline reporter say that the offense got into a group on the sidelines and Wilson delivered a fiery speech. So he does have it in him if it becomes necessary.

12 since 1976

Reaction score
If you listen to the post game presser, he did say we should have won that game. I take that to mean that he was not happy with his play, or anyone else on the offense. This was definitely on that side of the ball, as the D played well all game. Blame whomever you want, you can't change the outcome of the game, so do whatever makes you feel better. For me, it's just get over it and move on to the next one. Go Hawks!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't care about press conferences, but I do wish Russell would get fired up on the sidelines more when his offense looks like they're asleep.

I'm not saying go all Jay Cutler on them, but I would like to see Wilson get fired up and animated. It's good that he's steady and calm in the huddle, but on the sidelines he needs to get a little crazy when the offense isn't executing.

warden

Reaction score
I am glad Wilson maintains his focus and does not over react like most fans do

sutz

Reaction score
He did, perhaps not verbally, but Pete did say they met at 4:30 this morning to watch film. :229031_shrug:

sc85sis

Reaction score
He was texting with Pete until about Midnight and then was at the VMAC at 4:30am watching film. That's plenty upset for me.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":tz545fb2 said:
I don't care about press conferences, but I do wish Russell would get fired up on the sidelines more when his offense looks like they're asleep.

I'm not saying go all Jay Cutler on them, but I would like to see Wilson get fired up and animated. It's good that he's steady and calm in the huddle, but on the sidelines he needs to get a little crazy when the offense isn't executing.
He was. They showed him on camera talking to the guys to fire them up. They also mentioned that he and Okung got the offense into a huddle on the sidelines.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I rather him not be a whiny, angry guy after losses like Brady and kaepy.

OP
OP
BobinLaConner

BobinLaConner

Reaction score
A day later, and some time to get perspective...
Don't get me wrong, I love Russell and what he does (and how he carries himself, his work ethic and his character, etc). And also I am sure he is handling this loss in the best way as always, and preparing like crazy for next week.

Mostly what my original post was trying to convey was just my silly hope to see some emotion or "grit" in this post game presser. If nothing else but for appearances sake, just so fans (and our players) can see him really seem to channel some inner quiet strength and get ready to come out with a "Statement" performance the next time. Maybe it's just some pent-up frustration from being a long time Seattle fan, but I like the thought of hearing Russell make a few well thought out and stone cold comments in a press conference after a loss, and then the smoldering "I'm not happy with that performance" look in his eyes. It would just be the icing on the cake for me. I know he is going to be awesome like he always is, but I just want to see the theatrics.

Go hawks

Hawks46

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":342lud9r said:

I honestly hope he's not buying into what he's selling us.

"just an inch off" hell no. He was terrible in accuracy most of the game, and the WRs didn't help him when he needed it. Maybe that sports psychologist isn't working quite right.

"Don't worry Russell, it's not really your fault. Think positive thoughts and only dwell on your successes". Bleh. Own every failure and use it for motivation and learning.