Just another bust ?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Anytime you have to add in a contractual addendum to ensure your signal caller and $230M leader takes the time to look at film 4 hours a week (that's 34 minutes a day) because you are worried he is unable or unwilling to do so on his own accord, you probably don't have much of a competitor.

"The addendum also states that Murray will not get credit if he's not studying or watching the material while it plays on his tablet or if he's doing something that can distract him or draw his attention elsewhere while the material is playing, such as playing video games, watching TV or browsing the internet."
Wow, I'd never heard of a clause like that in any contract, sports or otherwise. It makes you wonder about the sanity on both ends of that deal. If a team is so worried about a player not spending as little as 4 hours a week that they have to insert a clause in a contract, WTF are they doing giving him nearly $1/4 billion?

RedAlice

Reaction score
Wow, I'd never heard of a clause like that in any contract, sports or otherwise. It makes you wonder about the sanity on both ends of that deal. If a team is so worried about a player not spending as little as 4 hours a week that they have to insert a clause in a contract, WTF are they doing giving him nearly $1/4 billion?

This is old news now. Like, before last year.

ETA: Be Better.

Link is dated July, 2022.

RedAlice

Reaction score
I am NOT a Murray fan, and fully expect him to be a bust.

Cards are giving him a last shot. He hasn’t busted yet.

Kinda up to him what he does now.

rjdriver

Reaction score

Never insinuated it was a new link @RedAlice

I thought it was germane to the argument and thread that Murray clearly had markers that indicate he ceiling is far from stratospheric. This game has become way too competitive to reward those who lack commitment and I think the need for the addendum is a strong predictor that he will never reach expectations. As a Hawks fan, I sure hope he doesn't 🍻

RedAlice

Reaction score
I’m a Rams fan.

From Arizona. Living with Cards fans in Texas.

Cards left STL to go to Az in 1988. Same year I left AZ.

My entire family is/are Cards fans.

eta: every single Cards fan I personally know hates Murray. He does not have their fan base.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I'm sure he was a nice guy, but I got sick and tired of him throwing his religion around. I used to listen to a lot of sports talk during the football season, and in those two years with Denver when he was a hot topic, Tebow was constantly on the radio pumping his religion, to the point where if you tuned in during the middle of the program, you wouldn't know that it was a football discussion.

Your religion is like your penis. You can love it and be proud of it, and that's nobody's business but yours. You can spend as much time as you like with it, alone or with others who share your interest in it. Just don't take it out in public, push it on kids, write laws with it, or think with it.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I was a line supervisor for 40 years, and I learned the hard way that it's best to, at least in public, avoid discussing the three taboo subjects our dads told us not to talk about on a first date: Sex, religion, and politics. It makes some of your subordinates feel like you might not be approachable, makes them afraid of you.

The three subjects Brazilians are told to avoid on first dates and in job interviews or first meetings with clients are religion, politics, and professional soccer.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Never insinuated it was a new link @RedAlice

I thought it was germane to the argument and thread that Murray clearly had markers that indicate he ceiling is far from stratospheric. This game has become way too competitive to reward those who lack commitment and I think the need for the addendum is a strong predictor that he will never reach expectations. As a Hawks fan, I sure hope he doesn't 🍻

I do think that you used an old link.

else, Cards are giving Murray a new chance. We will wait and see.

RiverDog

Reaction score

I saw the date of the article, too, but it's irrelevant. Old news or not, it's still incredibly insane and reflects poorly on both parties that signed the contract. Hell, I spend 4 hours a week doing crossword puzzles while sitting on the toilet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
I am NOT a Murray fan, and fully expect him to be a bust.

Cards are giving him a last shot. He hasn’t busted yet.

Kinda up to him what he does now.
Like all scrambling QBs ; his expiration date will come sooner than conventional pocket QBs . Besides that , he's too damn short . Gr8 college player , but the pros ?...not so much .

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
For us, Rick Mirer was by far the biggest. Dan McGuire and Kelly Stouffer get honorable mentions, Clipboard Jesus for our biggest 21st century bust.

Other notable busts include Ryan Leaf, Tim Tebow, Akili Smith, Johnny Manziel, Jamarcus Russell, Tim Couch, David Carr, Matt Leinart, and Vince Young are some of the more recent. But you can go all the way back to Terry Baker, Gary Beban, Art Schliester, and Jeff George, blasts from the past.

The list is endless.

Was Jeff George really a bust though? Granted he was a bad teammate and he never won anything, but he played 11 years in the league.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Was Jeff George really a bust though? Granted he was a bad teammate and he never won anything, but he played 11 years in the league.

I think compared to expectations he was. He came out of college with an "Elwayesque" reputation. He was expected to move the needle as his arm strength was darn near mythical. Other than Luck and Elway, I don't recall a QB being as highly touted as George coming out of college. IIRC he spent more than a few of those years as backup as well.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
The Broncos won in spite of Tebow, never due to him. His completion percentage for the two playoff games he played in was 40.4%.

Heck, we could devote a 30-page thread to Bronco QB's who were busts. That place is a graveyard for quarterbacks.
Trevor Semen says hi.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The Broncos won in spite of Tebow, never due to him. His completion percentage for the two playoff games he played in was 40.4%.
But he got that one perfect pass in right when it mattered, and he killed the Squeelers with it! That's all I care about.

Now, they are forever the team that got beat in the playoffs by TIM TEBOW!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Heisman Trophy winner, #1 overall pick, Colts trading up to get him, I would say based on that alone, that the bar was set so high that he would have damn near made the HOF to not be considered a disappointment.

In his first 4 seasons with the Cots, George threw 41 TD passes and 46 interceptions while his team averaged just 5 wins a season. At least as far as the Colts were concerned, he was a huge bust.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I think compared to expectations he was. He came out of college with an "Elwayesque" reputation. He was expected to move the needle as his arm strength was darn near mythical. Other than Luck and Elway, I don't recall a QB being as highly touted as George coming out of college. IIRC he spent more than a few of those years as backup as well.

Fair