JS: "Role hasn't changed" with Pete out

kidhawk

Reaction score
Makes sense that his role hasn’t changed but notice how he said Pete rarely used his veto power. That is one thing that has changed. Nobody has veto power now (except ow worship of course). So, although his role hasn’t changed, the freedom within that role certainly has.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Makes sense that his role hasn’t changed but notice how he said Pete rarely used his veto power. That is one thing that has changed. Nobody has veto power now (except ow worship of course). So, although his role hasn’t changed, the freedom within that role certainly has.
Absolutely, but the popular narrative seems to be that Pete was making the personnel decisions and John was mostly an errand boy. I like that John is doing his best to combat this narrative.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Absolutely, but the popular narrative seems to be that Pete was making the personnel decisions and John was mostly an errand boy. I like that John is doing his best to combat this narrative.
personally I think him and Pete made a good pair when it came to drafts as nd free agents. I do think they overpaid or had just bad luck with too many trades but when you put the successes up against the failures they did pretty well. I hope a similar chemistry exists with the new coach and the he’s learned from his previous splashes in the trade department

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It's simply a narrative spun by those who have no clue what they're talking about. Glad he finally said this so those people can knock it off

toffee

Reaction score
Based on what Schneider said, he is taking ownership to the so so drafting for that stretch of time, the Collier, Ifedi etc.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well John was looking at players Pete's system would work with, we know Pete's system was figured out and countered, now John is looking at players in a different way, Mike's system adapts to a players strengths from what I have read, so if a player screams a talent you look at how he will fit with the scheme and players you have, type isn't as strict I think.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Well John was looking at players Pete's system would work with, we know Pete's system was figured out and countered, now John is looking at players in a different way, Mike's system adapts to a players strengths from what I have read, so if a player screams a talent you look at how he will fit with the scheme and players you have, type isn't as strict I think.
John expanded on this a bit.

Basically taking the coaches preferences and specific schematic needs into consideration but claiming it hasn't really perceptibly changed the type the players they're looking to acquire.

This makes sense, because most of the NFL is looking for the same thing at any given them as John touches on.

chris98251

Reaction score
John expanded on this a bit.

Basically taking the coaches preferences and specific schematic needs into consideration but claiming it hasn't really perceptibly changed the type the players they're looking to acquire.

This makes sense, because most of the NFL is looking for the same thing at any given them as John touches on.

So taking a DT and making them a guard is still in play :)

RiverDog

Reaction score
So exactly what is JS going to say in response to a question like that? That all he did was follow orders and that's why the team has been mirrored in mediocrity these past few years? That he's excited to be out from under Pete's shadow?

We have to take statements like these, with ambiguous terms like "rarely", with a grain of salt. What is JS's definition of rarely? Once a year? One out of ten? And which decisions did Pete exercise that veto power? Who to take with our #1 overall? The Jamal Adams trade/contract? And if you're JS and you come up with what you think is a killer deal but that you know Pete isn't going to like, are you going to go to him with it and start an argument or are you going to forget about it to avoid a certain veto and not upset the boss, follow the path of least resistance and tell him what he wants to hear?

The other thing is that JS is not going to publicly insult the man who gave him his big break, his former boss and likely friend and confidant by suggesting that he was a control freak. He's going to give a politically correct answer, make it sound like their relationship was all unicorns and rainbows whether it was or not.

Last edited:

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I’ve never agreed with the narrative that PC was calling all or most of the personnel shots. I think it was mostly collaborative. JS saying that PC rarely used his veto tells you a lot. It tells you he did and it tells you he could at any time. JS knowing this had to tailor his personnel decisions to options he knew PC wouldn’t object to. That may seem like a minor thing but it’s not.

JS no longer has that restriction and can now build a roster, with input from MM, solely based on how he sees fit. I’m excited to see how that may change things.

nanomoz

Reaction score
John is now president of football operations. His role has literally changed.

knownone

Reaction score
John has squashed this narrative numerous times since January. At this point, it seems like a way for people to blame Pete for decisions they didn't like without knowing whether he made them. Oh, LJ Collier? Pete must have made that call. Jamal Adams trade? Pete. And so on...

Still, it's impossible to make judgments without knowing where Pete used his veto powers. What if his vetoes were good decisions? So even if you view this as evidence that Pete was a control freak, it doesn't support any narrative beyond his rarely using his powers. Also, John has repeatedly stated that they made personnel decisions as a group, and disagreements were met with further film study until the group reached a consensus.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
But that begs the question...if they were on the same page and had the same philosophy, why not get rid of JS too? Did they decide that Pete's coaching was the issue? I don't know the answer.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
But that begs the question...if they were on the same page and had the same philosophy, why not get rid of JS too? Did they decide that Pete's coaching was the issue? I don't know the answer.
I suppose we will find out.

That's why I'm not on board with folks saying Pete was calling the shots with personel decisions. Seems odd. I can see it being a team effort and Pete ultimately having final say, but for some folks essentially blaming the roster construction all on Pete doesn't make sense

CactusJack

Reaction score
The Pittsburgh game was the final nail in the coffin for Pete in my mind. I think Jody & her people came to the conclusion that it was no longer working under Pete. They needed to clean house & bring in a new coaching staff with a fresh perspective.

John is so well respected in the building & in league circles, that they probably felt like he deserved to have his shot at running the show. That's the most logical explanation.