Jordyn Brooks

FearTheHawk

Reaction score
56 was an absolute freak out there today. The second half was the best I’ve ever seen him and to do this coming off an acl last year? Really impressive. He seemed to turn it on in the 3rd and if he can play like that the rest of the year? We might have a top 5 D

Scout

Reaction score
He seems like he plays best when he doesn't "think" and just reacts. Impossible to prove, but I just get the impression that he overthinks things alot. Having Bobby on the field seems to allow him to just eat and I love it!
Yeah if Brooks is flowing sideline to sideline or downhill he is a very good player.

Rat

Reaction score
He's still terrible. I hope we're not bamboozled into paying him in the off-season. If somebody offered us a future 7th round pick swap for him, I wouldn't hesitate to accept. He and Taylor can't move on soon enough.

BChawkfan

Reaction score
He's still terrible. I hope we're not bamboozled into paying him in the off-season. If somebody offered us a future 7th round pick swap for him, I wouldn't hesitate to accept. He and Taylor can't move on soon enough.
Huh?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Taylor I agree with. Brooks? No. That dude can play.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Brooks is playing like a pro bowler. Better than Wagner imo and Wagner is playing great. I'm so pumped to see him playing up to his 1st round draft position.

He doesn't get enough credit on this board. I think it's mostly people trying to confirm their prior statements instead of seeing reality on the field. Brooks is damn good.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Brooks is playing like a pro bowler. Better than Wagner imo and Wagner is playing great. I'm so pumped to see him playing up to his 1st round draft position.

He doesn't get enough credit on this board. I think it's mostly people trying to confirm their prior statements instead of seeing reality on the field. Brooks is damn good.
Brooks was not a good player last season. He’s the type of guy that can get washed out of plays easily. He was slow to react and didn’t make any splash plays.

Brooks really struggles when he has to be the one diagnosing plays. Wagner is the one that lets him play sideline to sideline and downhill. Without Wagner next to him he looked like just another guy.

A good comparison here is Patrick Queen. Queen had big splash plays but also was not very good. Once the Ravens pulled off that trade for a top tier LB, all of the sudden Queen turned things around.

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to refer to him as "King Empty Stats". I could see where it might not have been clear that I was talking about Brooks.
Oh,I new who you were talking about.
Just not sure which end it was coming out of.
Brooks has been playing extremely well. Not at all like what you ares saying

12forlife

Reaction score
Hhmmm Brooks is playing better ball. Still a liability in coverage. Taylor & Diggs I could agree with not bringing back. Diggs just don't seem present, and is taking awful angles plus couldn't clean up Taylor's mistake of not holding the edge, then Diggs don't wrap up, and Dobbs scampers for a 25yrd tuddy

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Brooks was not a good player last season. He’s the type of guy that can get washed out of plays easily. He was slow to react and didn’t make any splash plays.

Brooks really struggles when he has to be the one diagnosing plays. Wagner is the one that lets him play sideline to sideline and downhill. Without Wagner next to him he looked like just another guy.

A good comparison here is Patrick Queen. Queen had big splash plays but also was not very good. Once the Ravens pulled off that trade for a top tier LB, all of the sudden Queen turned things around.
The entire defense looked bad last year and Brooks had every excuse to not play as well as prior seasons, from taking on a new position, new responsibility as the play caller, learning a whole new defense along with the rest of the D trying to figure it out. Even Pete has mentioned they are coaching better and have the system finally figured out with the right personnel in place.

But that was last year. I don't care about then. This year he's not struggling to diagnose plays, he's excelling. This year he's attacking and making plays. Maybe middle linebaker isn't his best position. Who cares that he's tearing it up at the WLB position instead of MLB? And heck if keeping Wagner another couple of years to play alongside Brooks is what it takes to allow him to play at Pro Bowl level than that's awesome cause Bobby still has a lot to offer. Re-sign Bobby for another year and give Brooks his extension after the year.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The entire defense looked bad last year and Brooks had every excuse to not play as well as prior seasons, from taking on a new position, new responsibility as the play caller, learning a whole new defense along with the rest of the D trying to figure it out. Even Pete has mentioned they are coaching better and have the system finally figured out with the right personnel in place.

But that was last year. I don't care about then. This year he's not struggling to diagnose plays, he's excelling. This year he's attacking and making plays. Maybe middle linebaker isn't his best position. Who cares that he's tearing it up at the WLB position instead of MLB? And heck if keeping Wagner another couple of years to play alongside Brooks is what it takes to allow him to play at Pro Bowl level than that's awesome cause Bobby still has a lot to offer. Re-sign Bobby for another year and give Brooks his extension after the year.
That’s because he doesn’t have to diagnose plays. Wagner simplifies his job to a great degree. He is the brain of this defense. He just has to shoot and go.

Also, Carroll seems to agree somewhat with my sentiment as we declined Brooks 5th year option. Brooks is the type of player you that can find a ton of. He’s a role player, not a central piece.

Brooks is the type of player where everything has to go right in order to play to his strengths.

Also, signing a Bobby for a couple years is highly optimistic. Great player, but he’s a borderline NFL athlete right now with his physical traits declining.

He’s still great, but he’s slowed down a ton. I question his ability to play at a high level for much longer.

Jville

Reaction score

It's a different and rapidly developing defense. Their chemistry looks stronger every week. Fast and physical. Blending youth and experience. Much improve Hawk Shoulder rugby style Tackling.

Jville

Reaction score
(On what Jordyn Brooks is doing better since two years ago when he last played with him) "I think he is trusting himself, he's trusting what he sees. I think he's playing free, not thinking. He's always been fast, and can always make plays, but I think some of the plays he's just trusting his instincts, trusting his film study. And I think that always happens over time as you play in this league, you learn to trust what you see, you learn to trust your preparation. He's done a really, really good job. I don't want to keep harping on it, but I will. What he's doing is so impressive, because he had a crazy injury, I think pretty late in the season, and a lot of people thought that he wasn't going to be back. But not only is he back, he's playing at a very, very high level. He's making a lot of plays. I don't want to overlook the road that he had to get to get to this point, and how well he's playing." --- Bobby Wagner

Jordyn Brooks was all over the field, generating nine tackles, two for loss, half a sack and a pass defended. -- Kevin Patra's takeaways

NoGain

Reaction score
I've been warming to him recently. It's the *light bulb* thing with him, as Wags eloquently expressed.