Jones vs Flowers- special mention to Neal

ScottishHawk84

Reaction score
After a tough start, I thought Jones played well..an improvement on Tre. Now, we won’t know how much of an improvement, until after Thursday, but I liked what I saw, after the first quarter.

Also, I thought Ryan Neal was very good today. Great coverage and fantastic tackling. The defense definitely played a lot better..I think we all thought, here we go again after the first couple of SF drives.

PNW

Reaction score
Even on the TD he gave up, he was right there trying to make a play, I don’t fault him for that the receiver just made a good play. I agree our secondary played much better with the exception of that busted coverage.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Jones will continue to adapt to the system and looks to be an improvement.

Need to find a way to keep Neal on the field more.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Jones didn’t have a camp with Seattle so give him a break.

He is still learning how to play with the defense and read and make calls, etc, but there is no doubt Jones is a noticeable upgrade from Flowers.

I am content with his play today and he’ll get better with reps and time.

Polk738

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2rczj89u said:

Neal and Blair are probably two of the biggest underutilized talents on this team

Mizak

Reaction score
Polk738":3jlxvnoi said:
Grahamhawker":3jlxvnoi said:

Neal and Blair are probably two of the biggest underutilized talents on this team

They should trade Adams so Neal and Blair play more.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
Cut Flowers before he gets on the plane so you're never tempted to put him in a game again. Even after getting pulled he manages to get a penalty on special teams.

Reid looks more comfortable on the right, and Jones was a huge improvement over what we've had there this season. Find ways to get Diggs, Adams and Neal on the field at the same time. All three of those guys are ballers. And, for the love of Pete, STOP giving up late TD's that put you one fluke play or mistake away from disaster!

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
The whole defense played better today . Flowers is serviceable as a backup but should not start .

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Looking at the numbers the D still got torched for 457 yards. They allowed 314 passing(big chunk on one blown play) and a seriously suspect 143 on the ground. The big difference is they stood up on 3rd down and held them to 2-14, flip side they allowed 3-4 4th downs.
Made enough plays to get the win, still need much improvement. I don’t personally think the 9er’s are that good. Thursday night will be a good measuring stick as to their improvement.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jones and Neal played well. The DT play is horrid. Until Garoppolo got hurt and left the game, he had all the time to throw. I counted at 10 secs on a few of the plays to throw the ball. He consistently stepped up in the middle of the pocket. Something has to change with the DT because there is absolutely zero pressure from the middle of the line and they were getting gashed all game.

Geno Atkins would be a nice addition (should have happened last week so he could be ready against the Rams). They need major improvement in the middle of line, it's blatantly mediocre at best.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
The D was playing a lot better in the 2nd quarter so it wasn't all because of a rookie QB. One thing that drove me nuts on that last drive was once it became clear, Lance's go to play was taking off up the middle, there was no adjustment to keep someone in the middle to spy him.

One of those games that indicates what you do on third down to get off the field is more important that just looking at yards

mikeak

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1htpnsz5 said:
The D was playing a lot better in the 2nd quarter so it wasn't all because of a rookie QB. One thing that drove me nuts on that last drive was once it became clear, Lance's go to play was taking off up the middle, there was no adjustment to keep someone in the middle to spy him.

One of those games that indicates what you do on third down to get off the field is more important that just looking at yards

1) Agree. Second quarter we had Jimmy G. Figured out. It didn't change significantly based on QB

2) I think we were fine with the runs up the middle in 4th quarter. Their last TD drive took way to much time. We knew it put everything on the onside kick

JPatera76

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":45f6mwcw said:

Trey Lance also benefitted from officials not calling holding everytime ran.. as the right guard held everytime which caused Dunlap to go down twice. After Dunlap went down once, Pete went to the ref. Hell even over the mic you could hear Seattle players bitch about the RG holding everytime lance took off. But there was ONE holding flag and it after Pete talked to the ref afterwards, the ref just swallowed the whistle the rest of the time. Overall I was happy with the CBs and Jones was damn near in on most tackles today

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
The funny thing about the one holding call was I noticed the same thing…holds not being called and just texted a friend complaining about it right after the play previous

mikeak

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2tvb76gr said:
The funny thing about the one holding call was I noticed the same thing…holds not being called and just texted a friend complaining about it right after the play previous

If you run the DVR back you see PC complaining about it right before. Next play called

That was due to working the sidelines

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Neal needs to be on the field way more. Showed it last year. I’d love to see him and Blair play a hybrid S/LB position in certain formations. Being life long fan from Iowa, the Iowa defense throws out a “Cash” position that is that very thing. A position where a defense back plays like a nickel corner but can play inside and help on the run or in the pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk