John Schneider is hurting our team.

two dog

Reaction score
Interesting thread.
It's easy to bitch about the guy they just picked.

We're opening new frontiers here.
Whining about picks when nobody has been selected.

Boycie

Reaction score
nash72":xxqyuh1u said:
MontanaHawk05":xxqyuh1u said:
nash72":xxqyuh1u said:
I dont think we can afford not to take an Olineman. Ramczyk may not be the next coming of Walter Jones, but he at least played the position in college and not basketball. That alone puts him above the curve and worth the shot. Even if he didnt turn out to be as good as we hoped, I have a hard time believing he could be worse than what we have now. You have to understand that Wilson might not make it through the season with the beating he's going to receive. Our line is awful and the teams in our division seem to be drafting and stocking up on players to attack that weakness. Thats not by accident.

Every smart team stocks up on DL.

As for Wilson, he made it through last season just fine. His most significant injury was from trying to stiff-arm a spying linebacker on a rollout. None of that justifies "just take an OL because omg he must be better than Fant".

He made it through just fine? You did watch the Seahawks in 2016 right? RW was getting hit practically every play. I'm glad you feel the line is just fine. I'm sure Russ appreciates the FO's efforts so far too. Good Lord.

Hey Russ, better get used to this. 2017 is going to be a long season for you.

usatsi_9767742-e1482674261249.jpg

And you really think the guys that were drafted in the first round are a huge upgrade on what we have now, and have signed in the off season?

How many other teams passed them up? O-line is a huge need for most teams in the NFL, and yet only 2 were drafted in the first round, and they weren't early picks either.

I trust JS, and PC, and I'm sure Cable and Bevell are going to work their magic year. :stirthepot:

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Rnd. Pick # NFL team Player Pos. College Conf. Notes
1 1 Kansas City Chiefs Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan MAC [11]
1 2 Jacksonville Jaguars Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M SEC
1 3 Miami Dolphins Dion Jordan DE Oregon Pac-12 from Oakland [R1 - 1]

Wish we would use some of these first round picks on cant-miss players like Joeckel and Jordan.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Draft picks are like lotto tickets, especially now that the Hawks don't have the twin advantages of Carroll's knowledge of guys he directly recruited and coached against in college or Scot McCloughan.

Might as well stock up on them and give ourselves a better chance of hitting on guys who can contribute going forward. No problems with this.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Most teams in the NFL have o-line issues. One of the toughest positional groups to build in the NFL.

We made a choice after our SB win to keep the defense strong at the expense of what was then a solid, but not great O-line.

Had we kept Sweezy, Okung, Unger, Giacomini, Carpenter in tact, Russ would be protected, however we'd be complaining about our pass rush because we couldn't have afforded to keep Avril & Bennett in place, and still complaining about our lack of a big receiver (who is now Graham), and complaining we have a hole at corner or safety (at the expense of keeping one of Kam, Earl or Sherman).

We won a championship by having an elite defense, and Schneider/Carroll focused on keeping an elite defense mostly in tact over an average offense line. Had we chose to keep an average offense line together, we would have not been back in the Super bowl in 2014, or maybe even been back to the playoffs in 2015 & last season.

Everyone needs to chill for a moment and remember we've had a top 5 defense for FIVE years in a row now. That wouldn't be the case if we had decided to keep our o-line together post-SB 2013.

Most other fanbases would kill to have had our defense the past several years.

mikeak

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":2dg7g6ir said:
Lol this thread is insane.

We traded down 8 picks and now have the most amount of draft capital left.

http://imgur.com/kzJwdnZ

He is RUINING this organization.

The draft capital means nothing. Of course we had the most left - we didn't use our first round pick.

If we come in to round 7 with every single pick left then we will also have the most draft capital left

I am not saying that he is ruining the organization just that the metric means nothing

flmmkrz

Reaction score
That last trade had to just be trolling. JS was prolly in the war room thinking thisll make heads explode watch this

nash72

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3fb7ltiq said:
nash72":3fb7ltiq said:
They signed a couple of broken down lineman in free agency that werent worth a damn to begin with. Thats not even a band aid. Thats throwing more gravel on the road in front of Russell Wilson as he's trying to ride a skateboard. It doesnt matter at this point who or what is out there in the draft at Oline, this team needs to at least sign somebody to give them a shot and hopefully they pan out. Might as well try with the guys that have been graded the highest. Also, you mention how much the FO has been trying to fix the problem, but are still unable to do so. At what point does somebody start to lay blame on them? Maybe its time to bring in somebody with some competence that can actually fix our biggest issue.

Have you been living under a rock the last 5 years? What OL did they miss on .. WITH OUR CAP ROOM and OUR DRAFT POSITION that would have made this line what you wish it would be?

Bitonio is the only guy I think we missed out on. The rest, we either couldn't afford or didn't have the draft capital to move up and get.

I still wish they would have tried to sign Ty Nsekhe from Washington instead of Jokel. He was at least impressive in the games he started, doesn't have the injury history, and was cheap (Washington signed him to a 1 year deal worth 690K). He is 31 though. With the cheapest line in the entire NFL (and by a large margin), I have a hard time believing they have left no stone unturned. I mean, cripes, we have a damn basketball player starting at the most important position on the line. That's a huge fail.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
We just have to see how this draft looks like when games are being played. If the picks suck like 2013 then we can bash what he's doing.

Just hope he doesn't blow it like 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Archer":7p3bskpy said:
People freaking out about wanting O-line seem to be forgetting that we picked up a starting LT and RG in free agency.
That suck....and were not starting for the teams that let them go.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2u0ef30k said:
Archer":2u0ef30k said:
People freaking out about wanting O-line seem to be forgetting that we picked up a starting LT and RG in free agency.
That suck.

Aboushi is NOT a starting RG . . . LOL.

:stirthepot:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Just curious.... we clearly have a number of holes in our team, at RB, OL, the Entire Secondary, SLB

For such an amazing GM, when was the last time we had a really good or even above average draft?

It feels like 2012 but I know we had some decent gaps in there between that. Obviously, we got Lockett but not sure that came in a great draft either. One guy doesn't make up for a string of nobodies and camp bodies.

What years have we gotten decent drafts with our current strategy?

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
No doubt we have had multiple terrible drafts in a row. He deserves some scrutiny. We are hanging on with our early luck/success. Guys are getting old and paid, and we do not have adequate replacements.

This draft is pivotal. It's ugly right now, but still early.

London12

Reaction score
Damn this is going very badly. I am very disappointed so far, the opportunity to fully restock the LOB with top talent and we draft interior DL (nice but not priority) and a center. Deflated right now.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Funny how Pete and John have been drafting this way since day one and still people come on here and freak out. You guys need to pay attention to John's interviews and who the Hawks bring in. John pretty much said the other day that they were looking to trade back. You want picks in this draft which is sooooo deep on defensive backs and line. Great draft so far.