John Schneider is hurting our team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
niveky":384rm3hf said:
Sgt. Largent":384rm3hf said:
RW92":384rm3hf said:
But someday you have to select those game changers. John thinks you can build a Super Bowl team consistently with 7th rounders.

He won a SB with late rounders and UFA's..............and he and Pete have turned them into All Pro's.

I get the impatience, I get that way too when watching the first round. But IMO Pete and John have earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to drafting and developing the right players. So I'm going to give it to them.

The problem is that he says you can't build a Superbowl team consistently with 7th rounders. They aren't all 7th rounders and half the team is composed of undrafted players and they have been in the mix every year. even with the horrible o-line issues last year...

Right.......and if you don't believe me, just look at what the Browns and Rams have done with the dozens and dozens of high picks over the past 5 years, continue to lose in epic fashion.

It ain't about the first round, the teams who consistently win are the ones who mine that mid to late round gold, and turn those players INTO first rounders. Which we've done better than just about everybody.

Atradees

Reaction score
I have a feeling this post is really about a perceived missed homerun. A certain linebacker.

I liked the moves. The players remaining for us are still available.

If the first thing we do when we actually pick is reach for a sixth round ol player when cam and lamp are there.....I will freak too.

The 9ers are having a great draft on paper. Still no superb owl qb. Probably have the ammo to have a great draft for 5 years cause they suck.

BTW. Cam Robinson has the potential to be very good. He was the best lineman. On the best team. Won the Outland Trophy. At the major college not freaking some tiny wac like college.

I still want Obi. Very Seahawky. He will need to be developed by the boom.

So for this draft to be great, I need two awesome picks.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Funnily enough, I was listening to a bit of Mike and Mike this morning on the way to work to get their draft perspective and they were making the point that although 1st round talent is flashy and everyone likes to talk about them, teams are not built on 1st round talent. They went on to discuss how the league is trending towards more undrafted talent in recent years.

Obviously it's great to get guys with immense talent which can be found a lot, especially in the top of the first round of the draft, but as you get towards the back of the first round, the talent differential between picks such as between 26 and 34 is minimal, and often debatable between various scouts.

Teams like to get a starter with their first pick, and that is definitely the goal, but if you cand do that, and still get other picks that fill all your gaps, then you have a better chance to win more games.

IMO, injuries are the biggest x-factor in any team's season. Having solid players behind the starters is essential in making any super bowl run. The only way to do this is to be able to pick up players with questions in mid to late rounds (or after the draft) and turn them into players who can solidify their position whenever called upon.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
RW92":3b63c2v9 said:
In all my years of being a football fan, playing and loving the game, I have never seen when one team
incessantly keeps trading away it's first round picks.

I can understand how you many want to package a number of picks, position yourselves for the player that others may overlook.
But someday you have to select those game changers. John thinks you can build a Super Bowl team consistently with 7th rounders. You can't build the team with high school players. Occasionally yes you do find that diamond in the rough and you look like a genius. It's not going to happen every year.

But "My Lawd" as Marshawn would have said, what happened here tonight is a complete travesty to the fans and those who follow the Seahawks. I stayed up all night for nothing. Should have gone to bed. Right now I just don't know what direction
this team is going in.

Maybe its just a frustrated rant and I didnt read the couple pages that followed this post but are you serious?

Seahawks traded down twice to go from pick 26 to pick 34, which isnt that far down, and got a 3rd, 4th and 7th. Towards the end of the 3rd and into the 4th we have like 5 out of the 22 picks. Usually late first round/early second round is the same level of talent so meh

There are still a few picks who slid or were mocked to us still available. I know it sucks not having a 1st round pick but we didnt move down much and IMO got a lot of value in order to move up if we want to or just fill the team with numbers for depth and hopefully a few pan out. I am LOVING this draft so far at least in terms of where we are for picks, hopefully they dont blow who they pick

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
brimsalabim":t2b7i0f5 said:
We made our competition better tonight. There is no denying this.

Who is to say the 49ers wouldnt of just gotten him had they not traded...

CD_Hawks

Reaction score
I think this post subject is crazy talk the Seahawks have never been so good until P&j came to town and I have been paying attention since 1983.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
BeastModeGang":2s06fv4y said:
Russell Wilson, Sherman, Chancellor, Wagner, Wright, Lockett, Baldwin, Rawls, Shead, Lane. None of them were first rounders.

You know whats funny about this list is Baldwin, Rawls and Shead werent even drafted, and Lane was a 6th rounder

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
DJ_CJ":3nxi3rkw said:
As much as I love the passion of our fanbase unfortunately way too many go from extreme high to jumping to extreme low at the snap of a finger. There are sooooo many great prospects on the board that we didn't even think would be there at 26 yet still there. We did the right thing in value, expect a couple trade ups tomorrow to get true targets/needs. How can anyone criticize Schneider/Pete on what they have done??? We had a "disappointing" year where lost in the divisional round.... are you kidding me??? Teams wish they had our "struggles". I'm an Iowa born and raised Seahawk fan since I was 9 (1989, Griffey sold me on Seattle so I adopted the Seahawks even though I barely got to watch a game... but also was my sneaky good tecmo/super tecmo selection every time even though friends always wondered why)... do some even realize how far this franchise has come????

You would think some on here believe we are the Lions. One playoff win since the 50s or something :pukeface:

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Jac":3r9dcoa5 said:
I also wonder if Schneider picked up the #34 because of what's going to happen during the day today. Teams are going to be squirming thinking about who's still available, and somebody may even offer up a 2018 first rounder for it. Same goes for Green Bay. You'd still have a block of players with the Round 2-4 to fill out this year's roster and great draft capital next year. Of course, the alternative is what everybody's describing and doing the opposite (grabbing two high second rounders).

I think if we traded 34 for a 1st round pick next year and a 5th or some late pick this year half the people on this forum would die from a heartattack

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Another thing, not sure how anyone can criticize a draft that is literally only 1/7th completed, and 1/8th if you include UFA signings........which I do because we've got a LOT of great players from the UFA period.

I've been plenty critical of some of our drafts, but I at least wait until the draft is over to discuss who I like and don't like. To jump off the ledge after one round? Insane.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":34wa17vd said:
Another thing, not sure how anyone can criticize a draft that is literally only 1/7th completed, and 1/8th if you include UFA signings........which I do because we've got a LOT of great players from the UFA period.

I've been plenty critical of some of our drafts, but I at least wait until the draft is over to discuss who I like and don't like. To jump off the ledge after one round? Insane.

This is one of the first drafts I've felt the Seahawks have gotten decent value for trading back. Seems like other years they've been more interested in trading back and willing to take whatever people would offer. Maybe that isn't reality, I haven't actually compared the trades but that is my gut impression after yesterday.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
What a classic Net sh*t show of a thread.

Good grief.

We dropped 8 spots. 8. And will save millions in cap dollars, acquired 3 more picks, and still will have our pick of who we want at #34.

Chill...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3nzxdyp3 said:
AgentDib":3nzxdyp3 said:
For the Chicken Littles around here who missed it:
Bob Condotta":3nzxdyp3 said:
John Schneider says Seahawks did not lose anyone they wanted at 26 in moving down to 34.

This is lunacy, .NET posters watched a lot of YouTube clips and did 1500 mock drafts on First-Pick.com. I will trust that over a guy that constructed a roster that's been to 2 of the last 5 Super Bowls.
Word. :2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1nzhzz03 said:
Good grief.

We dropped 8 spots. 8. And will save millions in cap dollars, acquired 3 more picks, and still will have our pick of who we want at #34.

Chill...
So much THIS!!!!!! ^

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
RW92":292pi70v said:
John thinks you can build a Super Bowl team consistently with 7th rounders. You can't build the team with high school players. Occasionally yes you do find that diamond in the rough and you look like a genius. It's not going to happen every year.

Seems the core of our team is 2nd to 7th rounders, and some valuable UFA's....

Unless you're drafting in the top 12, 10, or even 8.... depends on draft, where you have access to the elite of the elite top college prospects, there's not much difference in players at 26 or 34. IMHO :Dunno:

Hawks46

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":284fizmu said:
C.J. Prosise
Nick Vannett
Rees Odhiambo
Tyler Lockett
Terry Poole
Mark Glowinski
Cassius Marsh
Kevin Norwood
Kevin Pierre-Louis
Jordan Hill
Chris Harper

That's our 11 3rd and 4th round draft picks the last four years. Real super stellar group of guys there (Tyler Lockett excluded). Can't wait to add a whole bunch more of those names to the roster.......

You have to take it in context as well. The first 3 picks are from last year. You can't fairly grade them yet, and Prosise looks likes a legit talent, he just needs to stay healthy.

Then you take the OL......we haven't done well there, so your point is taken and valid.

Then go back to guys like Chris Harper. When he was picked, we had one of the deepest teams in the league. They could afford to take some chances on guys hoping they'd turn out, and not tremendously needing them to.

Context.

Hawks46

Reaction score
nash72":2atylgru said:
Sports Hernia":2atylgru said:
I understand that. But this is a weak O-line draft. The BEST in THIS draft may turn out to be bums, at least @ 26, and or there is an O-lineman or 2 they like @ 34. The draft isnt over yet.

Our line is so abysmal though, you have to try. That's why it was hard to see us pass up on Ramczyk. Robinson and Lamp are still there and I think we have to (HAVE TO) take at least one of them. Surely they will be better than what we have.

Ramczyk is a gamble. He just had major hip surgery, wasn't able to work out for anyone, and it's not even a given he'll be ready for Training Camp.

Then people are going to whine we burned a 1st round pick on a OLman that won't even contribute much this year, or will be behind the curve by missing much of the offseason and maybe the beginning of the season, while guys like King and Obi and Mixon were on the board.

Some people are never happy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":2wnautmx said:
nash72":2wnautmx said:
Sports Hernia":2wnautmx said:
I understand that. But this is a weak O-line draft. The BEST in THIS draft may turn out to be bums, at least @ 26, and or there is an O-lineman or 2 they like @ 34. The draft isnt over yet.

Our line is so abysmal though, you have to try. That's why it was hard to see us pass up on Ramczyk. Robinson and Lamp are still there and I think we have to (HAVE TO) take at least one of them. Surely they will be better than what we have.

Ramczyk is a gamble. He just had major hip surgery, wasn't able to work out for anyone, and it's not even a given he'll be ready for Training Camp.

Then people are going to whine we burned a 1st round pick on a OLman that won't even contribute much this year, or will be behind the curve by missing much of the offseason and maybe the beginning of the season, while guys like King and Obi and Mixon were on the board.

Some people are never happy.

We will try to address the O-line, but you don't try by reaching and gambling on lineman that aren't worthy of a first round selection.

This is universally lauded as the WORST O-line draft class in like 15 years, so personally I don't even want to see an O-lineman drafted until at least round 3. Too many other needs with positions that are deep in this draft to gamble on another mediocre lineman that's going to be moved to 3rd string guard after a month of training camp.