J'Marcus Webb released

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
nanomoz":to1mf24r said:
Any chance Poole gets back in the mix?
No idea either but that guy Robert 'Snacks' Myers on the PS looks, physically anyway, like a scary-good prospect.

kf3339

Reaction score
I get the reasoning from the FO, but only hope this decision doesn't bite us in the butt like getting rid of Michaels at RB a few weeks ago. You just never know when injuries can screw up even the best of plans.

Webb was not great at all, but at least serviceable in a pinch. I sure hope they have enough depth on the roster and a few diamonds on the PS just in case. We made need it.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/801563494730461184[/tweet]

They be on the NFL ghost roster now.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
GLio14":txumkgy9 said:
Hasselbeck":txumkgy9 said:
What an absolutely stupid signing on our part. But, at least the FO is smart enough to recognize this.
This is what I love about our FO. They know when they screwed up. See: Cary Williams, Percy Harvin, and now Webb.
SMDH! "Absolutely stupid" and "screwed up"

Hedging your bet by signing 3 vets when going into the season with at least 4 HUGH question marks along the OL is quite prudent, IMO.

I see some of us have attended the Bayless school of shockjockery!

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

Fade

Reaction score
This strategy is dumb. (Signing mediocre vet UFAs before the draft to fill needs).

Now before you all come at me with your pitchforks, and torches here me out.

Cary Williams - They flushed $7M down the toilet when Charles Tillman was available in the summer for $2M.
Webb for $3M, or Jahri for $1M. Money decided why they kept Webb btw. Webb was guaranteed, Evans was not.

The truth is teams cut veterans after the draft, and they can be had at bargain basement prices compared to the first week of Free Agency when desperate teams, do desperate things. (This is who Seattle is bidding against). That is why they paid crackhead prices for scrubs like Cary & J'Marcus.

Cary Williams + Webb = $10M

Tillman + Evans = $3M, better players, and roughly 3x cheaper.

I hope Seattle has learned this lesson, they can't keep flushing cap space down the toilet.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Webb came into the year way out of shape. Cable said he looks like he didn't do anything in the offseason. So I don't really blame them for the signing. Just glad we didn't have to keep him cause our other lineman were not better than him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Fade":t9bpdktl said:
This strategy is dumb. (Signing mediocre vet UFAs before the draft to fill needs).

Now before you all come at me with your pitchforks, and torches here me out.

Cary Williams - They flushed $7M down the toilet when Charles Tillman was available in the summer for $2M.
Webb for $3M, or Jahri for $1M. Money decided why they kept Webb btw. Webb was guaranteed, Evans was not.

The truth is teams cut veterans after the draft, and they can be had at bargain basement prices compared to the first week of Free Agency when desperate teams, do desperate things. (This is who Seattle is bidding against). That is why they paid crackhead prices for scrubs like Cary & J'Marcus.

Cary Williams + Webb = $10M

Tillman + Evans = $3M, better players, and roughly 3x cheaper.

I hope Seattle has learned this lesson, they can't keep flushing cap space down the toilet.

Maybe our team likes to keep some cap space in case of holdout or other emergency??? It might not always be about the money. Better players would demand more play time perhaps and maybe that is not what they are going for. The whole fit thing as well. Who knows if these guys burned a bridge somewhere or did something to make our front office turn away. I don't really know. Or you may be right and it just could be a bonehead thing. Either way the front office does lots more good than bad. If this is there weakness then I can live with it. Not that they shouldn't try to improve but meh.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3fwth5uh said:
GLio14":3fwth5uh said:
Hasselbeck":3fwth5uh said:
What an absolutely stupid signing on our part. But, at least the FO is smart enough to recognize this.
This is what I love about our FO. They know when they screwed up. See: Cary Williams, Percy Harvin, and now Webb.
SMDH! "Absolutely stupid" and "screwed up"

Hedging your bet by signing 3 vets when going into the season with at least 4 HUGH question marks along the OL is quite prudent, IMO.

I see some of us have attended the Bayless school of shockjockery!

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

Or some of us have known Webb was garbage at every stop in his career and knew overpaying for him out of desperation to field an OL on a low budget was a bad idea?

I don't knock us for signing a vet OT in FA. I knock us for signing THIS veteran OT in FA. It says a lot that a guy that played next to zero football since 8th grade has already outperformed him. J'Marcus Webb is terrible at football.

hawk45

Reaction score
The batting average of the FO (well outside the OL) is great, but this move was a desperation overpay and I'm a bit surprised anyone would argue otherwise.
That said, at least they are showing some signs of recognition that their approach with OL going into each season is worth a little panic. One of these years it may not be so, but I'm not counting on linear progress. Our RT was supposedly solved last year only to regress, that can happen to Fant also although I hope not. I have resisted the temptation to grade Fant on a curve because that doesn't help evaluation. But I am slowly, very slowly, beginning to allow for the possibility he might be the one project to break the trend instead of being just one more athlete who shows his athleticism but is always maddeningly inconsistent.
Obvs better than sowell though so starter material on this team for sure.

Seafan

Reaction score
Many have said that Gilliam played his best game of the season against the Eagles. The release of Webb and Michael may be having a positive affect on the team. IMO this roster is now all in.

I had some concerns with Gilliam and some of the talking heads said he was going to be in for a long game against the Eagles LDE. Right now this OL with 4 rookies has a great outlook going forward. Give Cable the credit.

hawk45

Reaction score
Outlook is just the kind of thing I think we should avoid. We had a great outlook at the end of last season at RT and then we didn't.
Gilliam played a good game v Philly all praise to he and cable for that one game. The entire point with the projects is that they can't maintain consistency.

Latest posts