J'Marcus Webb released

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
What an absolutely stupid signing on our part. But, at least the FO is smart enough to recognize this.

GLio14

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1iehf587 said:
What an absolutely stupid signing on our part. But, at least the FO is smart enough to recognize this.
This is what I love about our FO. They know when they screwed up. See: Cary Williams, Percy Harvin, and now Webb.

byau

Reaction score
GLio14":152eajei said:
Hasselbeck":152eajei said:
This is what I love about our FO. They know when they screwed up. See: Cary Williams, Percy Harvin, and now Webb.

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. You have to take educated risks, entreprenurial spirit. Those same risks and chances brought us our current roster

Not just that, when you let someone go to make room for someone else, you are also showing your CURRENT roster what you value, and from that show your CURRENT roster how much you value them

I never got the argument that you have to play player A because you're paying him. If that's the case, those undrafted guys, those late round picks, they have no motivation to get better if your'e going to play the other guy anyway because he's paid.

Do what you can to get the guys into camp that you want and then play the best ones for our scheme

Excited to see the roster churn because you know it's for the better.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Tusc2000":4rolh1d9 said:
dutchcoug":4rolh1d9 said:
Zac Brooks signed to PS, Farmer probably getting brought up.

Very curious to see how Farmer will do in the backfield. Most of his college reps were at WR, but he had trouble getting PT, with Robert Wood and Marquis Lee ahead of him. Great speed though, hopefully he can get some room to explode.

Welcome to the jungle known as Seahawks Dot Net. Enjoy the ride and contribute as you wish. :twisted: :greetingsearthling:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I wonder if this will now be the time to bring back Mike Morgan recalled from IR who is in the 2nd week of his eligibility for the team to activate him?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I was also wondering if Webb would go to Practice squad for more learning of the position??? Thoughts as I am kinda ignorant on this situation.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1cjrnjmn said:
I was also wondering if Webb would go to Practice squad for more learning of the position??? Thoughts as I am kinda ignorant on this situation.

He is not eligible for practice squad.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
thanks to Webb for his contribution......now time to steal Karlos Williams from the Steelers...unless he is still fat and stupid..

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2gety9h0 said:
Seahawkfan80":2gety9h0 said:

He is not eligible for practice squad.

Thank you Blitzer.

mikeak

Reaction score
IF someone picks him up from the waiver then we would only eat signing bonus etc but save the money for the rest of the year's salary.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Webb was an insurance signing to see if either of Ifedi or Odhiambo worked out . It's appraent they look to be adequate and better than him so the insurance isn't needed.

Even Sowell has been moved down the DC.

BTW the accurate and up to date DC and PS is posted on the depth chart roster moves page.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
MOSES":351z83ad said:
Not to be cruel, but I won't shed a tear he is gone......

.... Well, I guess that IS kinda cruel. But it's true.

Moreso realistic than cruel.

Seafan

Reaction score
No surprise. When they needed a roster spot he was the first person I thought would get axed.

Hawks46

Reaction score
jammerhawk":31kqdc0g said:
Webb was an insurance signing to see if either of Ifedi or Odhiambo worked out . It's appraent they look to be adequate and better than him so the insurance isn't needed.

Even Sowell has been moved down the DC.

BTW the accurate and up to date DC and PS is posted on the depth chart roster moves page.

This. Pete and John take a different approach to filling holes in the roster. They sign a mix of veterans and rookies and let them compete. If the rookies don't pan out right away, then the vet fills in with experience. If the rookies pan out like they're hoping, they typically cut the vet who was usually signed to a team friendly deal. A perfect example would be our QB competition when Russell was drafted....Jackson was the incumbent, Flynn was signed to a team friendly deal (for a QB) and Wilson was the young gun drafted but not sure about where he stood.

Signing a veteran to a very team friendly deal means you usually won't get the best veteran out there. It's pretty reactionary to claim "oh man what a bust!" with someone like Webb....sure he could've been better, but he accomplished at least the minimum of what they wanted, which was to hold down a spot until Odhiambo developed (I honestly don't think they expected Fant to be at this stage yet). They already had Sowell and Gilliam whom they projected to be starters.

Think about the alternatives: you either start Odhiambo if Ifedi gets hurt, or slide Britt over and let Hunt slide into Center. In that scenario, Webb is far more appealing than shifting half your line around.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Asked:

Hasselbeck":1danb352 said:

Answered:

jammerhawk":1danb352 said:

It's worth noting that Seattle has done this frequently. Also worth considering that teams are obliged to sign FAs 2 months before they know what they have in hand via the draft. So there is a lot of roster hedging going on.

Webb was a hedge. As was Sowell. The only complaint I have is that we sat on guys that apparently are now the 8th and 9th OL on the depth chart needlessly long and it's now cost us 2 comp draft picks (where cutting them 2 weeks ago would not have).

Webb was in roster Purgatory since Ifedi returned. Maybe they needed to have some confirmation on Odhiambo first before pulling the trigger.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
byau":hj74695v said:
I never got the argument that you have to play player A because you're paying him. If that's the case, those undrafted guys, those late round picks, they have no motivation to get better if your'e going to play the other guy anyway because he's paid.

Do what you can to get the guys into camp that you want and then play the best ones for our scheme

Yep ^^, I love that Pete doesn't let money decide the pecking order....He's giving players the opportunity to succeed, Don't just tell me your desires, SHOW ME.....Webb just thinned himself out of the herd.

sutz

Reaction score
scutterhawk":12ok29xr said:
byau":12ok29xr said:

Yep ^^, I love that Pete doesn't let money decide the pecking order....He's giving players the opportunity to succeed, Don't just tell me your desires, SHOW ME.....Webb just thinned himself out of the herd.
The Seahawks are the poster child for getting value out of late round and undrafted players. Plus, guys know that if they play well, they will be rewarded with a decent contract going forward. Except for a few whoopses on FA signings, our FO is very much of a play first, then get paid group. Look at Baldwin. Played several years as a cheap UDFA, then gets a $40+ million dollar deal that is very competitive around the league.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Any chance Poole gets back in the mix?

Latest posts