Third Downs Both Sides

audioeffects

Reaction score
For the next series of games, it is time to shore-up the third down percentage on both sides of the ball.

On paper, the restored, refurbished O-line should provide a few more progression work-throughs for Smith, which bodes well for JSN, Charbonnet and Walker.

The presence of Witherspoon in the slot and Jamal Adams in the underneath and box areas will make that zone defense more sticky and less forgiving. And the more experience our DBs get, the better the results.

I’m so grateful for Bobby Wagner’s leadership and communication to help Seattle’s defense perform as a much more cohesive and confident unit.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Two things I don't want to see happen:

1 - JSN is becoming the next Dee Eskridge. Just too many throws to him behind the line of scrimmage, with zero throws to him over the middle of the field, which is JSN's best game. No receiver should ever have to run 15 yards sideways, and 5 yards north, just to get back to the line of scrimmage (also known as the line of zero gain).

By the way, how is this team doing on 3rd down conversions recently? Three of twleve against the Giants? You think maybe using a HB on running downs migh help? Maybe passing to JSN for postive yardage on passing downs might help?

2 - Jamal Adams being counted on as a starter. We are 3 years into this disaster, and it just keeps getting worse every single season now. I'm no expert on defensive backs, but it's become painfully obvious that Adams is a disaster. Three years!!!

Jamal Adams has officially been "unavailable" for more games with the Seahawks, then he has been "available" for. End the lie, tell the truth, this player was dammaged when the Seahawks traded for him. Cannot trade him now, but you can still cut him!

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Having Abe Lucas and Charles Cross back in the lineup should help a lot. Allows more receivers, tightends, and rbs to run routes instead of staying in to block and overall will be a big help getting Geno feeling more settled in the pocket. He's seems skittish with the current backup tackles and other backups in the game.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
1 - JSN is becoming the next Dee Eskridge. Just too many throws to him behind the line of scrimmage, with zero throws to him over the middle of the field,
Uh, why do you think our tight ends are wide open all the time. JSN in the lineup is already paying dividends in terms of what defenses do schematically to try to match

Atradees

Reaction score
Giants defensive line is really good. We survived a pig slop game. Nothing to learn; giants time to move on. We could have lost this game. Our offense wasnt great.

Last edited:

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Uh, why do you think our tight ends are wide open all the time. JSN in the lineup is already paying dividends in terms of what defenses do schematically to try to match
Question to me was: Why do I think our TE's are open all the time?

My answer: I'd have to say that our TE's are open by design, at least for the most part.

When I played, we ALWAYS had the outside linebacker chip block the opposition's TE. After that chip block slowed them down, it was our strong safeties job to guard against the opponent's tight end.

Those were running leagues though, and the offenses would use their TE's as extra blockers, so that left our strong safety in the right area to make tackles.

NFL doesn't play ball that way however, and there isn't any SS following these guys. That's because they are too busy helping double receivers, or cover an area. Therefore, I really don't believe that JSN is opening things up for our tight ends at all.

Now if JSN was being tossed the ball over the middle on slant routes, then I could sort of agree with your point, because that would help open opportunities for our split-ends & flankers to maneuver in & out as they make their way up field.

The one stat that JSN seems to be really good at so far, is in Yards After Catch, and keep in mind the poor kid is having to start these plays 3-5 yards behind the line of scrimmage on every single one of these stupid Jet Sweep plays.

Screenshot 2023 10 08 100904
I would have expected Charbonnet to be leading this stat. It's JSN by a score of 2 to1!

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Question to me was: Why do I think our TE's are open all the time?

My answer: I'd have to say that our TE's are open by design, at least for the most part.

When I played, we ALWAYS had the outside linebacker chip block the opposition's TE. After that chip block slowed them down, it was our strong safeties job to guard against the opponent's tight end.

Those were running leagues though, and the offenses would use their TE's as extra blockers, so that left our strong safety in the right area to make tackles.

NFL doesn't play ball that way however, and there isn't any SS following these guys. That's because they are too busy helping double receivers, or cover an area. Therefore, I really don't believe that JSN is opening things up for our tight ends at all.

Now if JSN was being tossed the ball over the middle on slant routes, then I could sort of agree with your point, because that would help open opportunities for our split-ends & flankers to maneuver in & out as they make their way up field.

The one stat that JSN seems to be really good at so far, is in Yards After Catch, and keep in mind the poor kid is having to start these plays 3-5 yards behind the line of scrimmage on every single one of these stupid Jet Sweep plays.

View attachment 61113
I would have expected Charbonnet to be leading this stat. It's JSN by a score of 2 to1!

Maybe you will accept my answer above if it comes via today's Michael Bumpus article?