Jermichael Finley to visit Seahawks

seatt1eslew

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2nrb1m35 said:
Largent80":2nrb1m35 said:
The guy has a cervical spinal problem, and is going to be getting HIT, does that compute?

Remember how Manning had 4 neck surgeries and everyone was speculating that the first time he took a hit, he'd be done?

Yeah.

Medical clearance is medical clearance. If Finley doesn't get it, he doesn't get signed. If he does, then your computation doesn't matter.

Good point if Manning took hits. He seems to consult the NFL on what "roughing the passer" is. Finley will be taking head to head from Safeties running full speed, not getting shoved in the back as he throws the ball.

Just hoping for 1-2 yrs at $1-2M per and bring Miller back at a lower number regardless.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
seatt1eslew":2hrytquo said:
volsunghawk":2hrytquo said:
Largent80":2hrytquo said:
The guy has a cervical spinal problem, and is going to be getting HIT, does that compute?

Remember how Manning had 4 neck surgeries and everyone was speculating that the first time he took a hit, he'd be done?

Yeah.

Medical clearance is medical clearance. If Finley doesn't get it, he doesn't get signed. If he does, then your computation doesn't matter.

Good point if Manning took hits. He seems to consult the NFL on what "roughing the passer" is. Finley will be taking head to head from Safeties running full speed, not getting shoved in the back as he throws the ball.

Just hoping for 1-2 yrs at $1-2M per and bring Miller back at a lower number regardless.
Manning took plenty of good hits in the SB. Passed his physical just fine.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Largent80 What is the down side? Again this makes zero sense to me. If he's healthy he has a chance to be huge. If he's not you lose almost nothing. The offense could use a big bodied receiver/joker/TE. We lacked a big threat in the red zone at times last year too. This seems like a no brainer to me. You're reasoning sounds Ruskellesque.....

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Largent80":1m2f2gs7 said:
And, they are not beyond being questioned. Many of the draft picks they made last year were on IR before the season began, and some before pre season.

Was this secretly supposed to be a good point?

nwgamer

Reaction score
I don't see a problem here either. We have nothing to lose. I like the Manning comparison as well. This guys is a huge dude that can make a big difference when healthy. I don't see the logic in not welcoming this guy with open arms seriously. If he makes the team he makes the team. I wouldn't be surprised if we kept 4 tight ends and one less receiver on the 53 if this works out. This doesn't mean we won't try to get a WR as well. Common sense people. If Finley turns out to be a stud JS will once again look like a genius, if he doesn't O well, We Lose Nothing.....

I think after last years dramatic free agency some people around here were expecting us to just sign all the big names or something. Not going to happen. We ALREADY HAVE the big names here! Last years draft class was an excellent example of being ahead of the game. We took chances on injured guys with huge potential upside knowing we had the time to get them healthy and then really see what they have. Same thing here with Finley.

When the dust settles on FA we will come out looking just fine.

King Dog

Reaction score
Largent80":1qgl5kvu said:
King Dog":1qgl5kvu said:
Largent80":1qgl5kvu said:
Sure that computes. Know what else computes? The FO brought him in for a look. It sounds like if he gets medically cleared, they want to get a deal done.

Yes the front office is the master cylinder and never makes a wrong move. :roll: And, they are not beyond being questioned. Many of the draft picks they made last year were on IR before the season began, and some before pre season. They are not God, or Gawd.

Go get yourself a king dog.

Back from my King Dog. It was delicious. Anyway, at the end of the day all that matters is what the FO thinks. As for me? Hell yeah I'm down with bringing in a guy that had 25 cathes, 300 yards and 3 touchdowns in 5 games last year if he's medically cleared. We haven't had a TE like this on our roster since....Never. Lol

rigelian

Reaction score
If Jermichael Finley can elevate our red zone offense I'm all for the signing. I think we desperately missed a healthy Sidney Rice in that area and teams seemed to find a way to shutdown Golden Tate near the goal line.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
ErikG803":369oa9on said:
Am I missing something with BlueBloods past? His post seems quite believable. And it's not like he's predicting lottery numbers, it seems he's probably right.

He was bashing Michael Bennett before Bennett re-signed with the Seahawks and called Bennett an idiot out of nowhere. Then we called him on it and eventually he said Bennett was mean to his son which was an obvious lie.

Now this. Finley said he wanted to be a Seahawks a long time ago. He comes in for a visit which shows mutual interest. He claims Finley is gonna be a Seahawk for sure which is a pretty good possibility because of the visit plus mutual interest. So basically he is pulling an Incarcerated Bob and throwing stuff against a wall and hoping it sticks.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
rigelian":bydu3cg6 said:
If Jermichael Finley can elevate our red zone offense I'm all for the signing. I think we desperately missed a healthy Sidney Rice in that area and teams seemed to find a way to shutdown Golden Tate near the goal line.

Thats probably the best argument for signing Finley so far.

dunceface

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2mfm2rkk said:
rigelian":2mfm2rkk said:

Thats probably the best argument for signing Finley so far.

Agreed. If he's cheap he would fit that niche perfectly

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
One thing is for sure, whatever they do with Miller has nothing to do with Finley. If they are going to replace Miller on this roster it would be with McCoy or Beckum. Finley isn't reliable in the running game so I am guessing that they are trying to renegotiate Miller's contract. If Percy Harvin can stay healthy :pray: , the Hawks could be lethal in the passing game.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yup, I think they view Finley as the best big receiver out there (and that is our biggest need out of our receivers), not as a Miller replacement.

At least, I hope.

joeshaney

Reaction score
HawkFan72":17wg76vp said:
Yup, I think they view Finley as the best big receiver out there (and that is our biggest need out of our receivers), not as a Miller replacement.

At least, I hope.

This. Willson and McCoy can collectively replace Miller.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
I am definitely a little concerned with what Mccoy will give the Hawks this year.

Torn Achilles are no joke. They aren't like torn ACL's where most guys recover 100%. A lot of athletes have never made it back after a torn achillies.

plyka

Reaction score
austinslater25":txotuiou said:
The argument against Finley is baffling to me. We are going to sign him for next to nothing and the guy is literally a top 5 difference maker at a position where we havent gotten much production. There is literally ZERO risk in signing him and the upside is huge. I need to play fantasy football with some of you guys. :)

Of course LOGICALLY it makes perfect sense. But emotionally it is a non-starter. And that's what's important.

plyka

Reaction score
Fuzzman55":1ytp433b said:
The only thing that concerns me about Finely is his hands--as in his actual production on the football field. The medical stuff will either be cleared by the doctors or it won't. And the Hawks aren't going to miss out on a buy-low deal. Pete and John just don't do that. If he's healthy and holds onto the ball, he's a weapon.

Bring Miller, Finely, Willson and McCoy to camp and let them battle it out. Sounds like a great group to pick from.

I've heard this misconception over and over --that Finley has a massive drop rate. So I actually looked for the stats. Finley had one of the LOWEST drop rates in the NFL for positions that catch the ball (RB/TE/WR) in 2013. He had 34 targets and dropped 1 ball. Another poster said this didn't matter, because he only had 34 targets. Sure that's a 2.9% drop rate, but in 2011 and 2012 he had 6% and 8% drop rates. Well, let's look at that high water mark of 8% drop rate for Finley in 2012 (8% of all targets). Here is an article on 2012, his "worst" year for dropping balls. This is comparing ALL TEs in 2012:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ight-ends/

It calculates drops differently, it calculates drops based on catchable balls. So their percentages are different. But let's look at Finley's drop rate in 2012 (his worst year for drops)

Finley: 12.86%

What other TEs were around this mark? Well, basically ALL of the receiving TEs in football, at least all of the best. These are 2012 numbers:

Jimmy Graham: 15%
Aaron hernandez: 16.89%
Brandon Pettigrew: 13.24%
Delenie Walker: 30%
Rob Gronk: 11.29%

In his worst year, Finley did have a lot of drops, but he is sitting right around Rob Gronk and Jimmy Graham, the two best pass catching TEs in all of football. And once again, this is his worst year in 2012. In 2013, he only dropped 1 pass for a 2.9% drop rate!

All in all, this whole drop thing for Finley is way overblown.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
plyka":2gjuqpiu said:
Fuzzman55":2gjuqpiu said:
The only thing that concerns me about Finely is his hands--as in his actual production on the football field. The medical stuff will either be cleared by the doctors or it won't. And the Hawks aren't going to miss out on a buy-low deal. Pete and John just don't do that. If he's healthy and holds onto the ball, he's a weapon.

Bring Miller, Finely, Willson and McCoy to camp and let them battle it out. Sounds like a great group to pick from.

I've heard this misconception over and over --that Finley has a massive drop rate. So I actually looked for the stats. Finley had one of the LOWEST drop rates in the NFL for positions that catch the ball (RB/TE/WR) in 2013. He had 34 targets and dropped 1 ball. Another poster said this didn't matter, because he only had 34 targets. Sure that's a 2.9% drop rate, but in 2011 and 2012 he had 6% and 8% drop rates. Well, let's look at that high water mark of 8% drop rate for Finley in 2012 (8% of all targets). Here is an article on 2012, his "worst" year for dropping balls. This is comparing ALL TEs in 2012:

It calculates drops differently, it calculates drops based on catchable balls. So their percentages are different. But let's look at Finley's drop rate in 2012 (his worst year for drops)

What other TEs were around this mark? Well, basically ALL of the receiving TEs in football, at least all of the best. These are 2012 numbers:

In his worst year, Finley did have a lot of drops, but he is sitting right around Rob Gronk and Jimmy Graham, the two best pass catching TEs in all of football. And once again, this is his worst year in 2012. In 2013, he only dropped 1 pass for a 2.9% drop rate!

Very interesting stats. It might stem from a game in which he dropped 3 or 4 passes that was on national tv or something. I don't remember when it was but I just remember him dropping quite a few. Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
plyka":29ge1d4u said:
Fuzzman55":29ge1d4u said:

I'm corrected. Good info and thanks. I didn't watch Finley enough to get a feel one way or the other, so I was voicing some of the concerns I had heard. Now those stats make me feel even better about bringing him in.

Latest posts