Jeremy Lane doesn't think Gronk is that good

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Blitzer88":tfubm3dc said:
Ugh................let's not give them any bulletin board material.

a. its the Super bowl
2. its Rob Gronkowski

not sure the patriots need "bulletin board" material

Largent hit it... some of you all are a bit soft. let Lane talk all he wants. hes the one that has to play the game.

it amazes me still that after everything these players have given the Seahawk fan base over the last 3-4 years some of you still cringe and pillow bite when they say/do things that reflect the same attitude that has brought them, and by definition all of you, so much success and joy.

grow up folks. when the whistle blows nothing, not Lanes comments, not deflated footballs, not Pete and Bills relationship, the 2012 game, the inevitable focus on "U Mad Bro" and Lynch's media day, will matter one bit in the game.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
formido":plmvmlrv said:
Great thing to say. The Giants talked smack to New England leading up to the Super Bowl and then whooped them. Quit being scared of New England. They could win, but they definitely ain't nothing to be scared of. Seattle's the team that sends every other team into a tailspin after playing, Seattle's the team that destroyed a New England-type offense in last year's Super Bowl despite being underdogs, Seattle's the team that's, what, 10-0 against SB winning QBs since Wilson joined, and SEATTLE is the team that's led the NFL in DVOA three straight years.

One team should be a little nervous and their name's not Seattle.

Let me comment on the Giants SB win in 2007/8. Brady was in a walking boot the whole 2 weeks leading up to the game, a severe ankle sprain from the AFCC game. He could not move in the pocket. Also, in the fist quarter, NE's most athletic OL Stephen Neal was lost for the game. Those are the reasons the Giants were able to pressure Brady so well that night, nothing to do with their trash talk.

In 2012 against the Giants, Gronk played on a badly sprained ankle but was just a decoy, he couldn't do a thing. Remember Bernard Pollard's dirty tackle in the AFCC? NE's defense that year was horrible as they were in the middle of transitioning to their current D. Then on NE's first offensive play, Brady gets called for intentional grounding from the EZ (on a long pass down the middle, a little questionable), leading to 9 Giants points. Then Welker drops the game winning pass with a few minutes left. So the Giants D wasn't really the big factor everyone credits them being.

Seattle did destroy the Broncos a year ago, but they hardly destroyed GB a week ago. Pats are extremely similar to GB on both sides of the ball.

Beast Mode

Reaction score
Who cares? Since when is this team supposed to be afraid of individuals? This game will be business as usual for the Seahawks.

SirTed

Reaction score
Paraphrasing here:

It reminds me of that Sherman interview where he says "Humble people lose a lot."

I don't care. I mean, really. Has this team ever hesitated to give the other team "bulletin board material"? No. Why stop now?

I mean, I'll grant you that Jeremy Lane probably shouldn't be the one - but I'm probably the biggest Lane fan around, so screw it.

Go Hawks.

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
If the Patriots are relying on statements from Jeremy Lane to get motivated, then they are in big trouble.

Somehow, I just can't imagine Belicheck telling the team in the locker room 5 minutes before kickoff: "Listen guys, let's go show the world that Jeremy Lane is wrong about Gronk!"

Locker room fodder is highly over-rated.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
nolachawks":3h9g20v9 said:
On ESPN, Jeremy Lane responds to question about Gronk, "I actually don't think he's that good." I guess we will be hearing about this for the next 10 days. Whether its true or not, hold those opinions in until at least after the super bowl.
Sounds just like what a player on the defending world champions should say. Its not like he will be covering him right? :mrgreen:

Either way it's better to be confident then diffident and confident people say what they think and almost always back it up unlike diffident people. So back it up Bobby.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
RunTheBall":2av1g6oc said:
Aros":2av1g6oc said:
Ugh. Count me in the camp who thinks he should have kept his mouth shut. Yes I understand it's not 2005, but why give them ANY bulletin board material? It's not like we are facing the Browns or Raiders. This team CAN beat us. Why give them extra motivation than they already will have?

Just shut up and let your play do the talking on the field.
WAAHHHH, I guess you were really against Sherman calling out Peyton's arm strength before the last Super Bowl too right?

I'm against ANY player who feels it's necessary to talk trash about their opponent, but thanks for asking, and in such a classy manner too I might add. Whoever you are. :roll:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":2k9g1s6b said:
If the Patriots are relying on statements from Jeremy Lane to get motivated, then they are in big trouble.

Somehow, I just can't imagine Belicheck telling the team in the locker room 5 minutes before kickoff: "Listen guys, let's go show the world that Jeremy Lane is wrong about Gronk!"

Belichick probably won't say that, but I think you are severely underrating how much this stuff sticks with players. Especially seeing how every perceived slight motivates our own Seahawks players, how can you say it's overrated? The Seahawks throw out the slights they have heard about themselves the first chance they get after they perform well. It is what fuels them.

If the Pats win and Gronk has a big day, what do you think one of the first things he says after the game is? My bet would be he mentions how he's "not that good".

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Aros":3727zekr said:
I'm against ANY player who feels it's necessary to talk trash about their opponent, but thanks for asking, and in such a classy manner too I might add. Whoever you are. :roll:
You literally just said you're against most of the guys that play in the NFL, Todd. :)

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
I don't get all the hate.

For me personally I want my defensive players to have a bit of swagger to them. To have that confidence to go out there and say what they feel.

Now he needs to back it up, obviously, but I like it.

You feel that way young man you say it and then you go out there and prove it as well.

hawk45

Reaction score
Maybe there is no impact but the bit player criticizing the best in the game and being utterly wrong makes Lane look dumb far more than it makes him look brave.
Not that he is dumb, but the comment was an unfortunate one.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
RolandDeschain":18k0030o said:
You literally just said you're against most of the guys that play in the NFL, Todd. :)

I guess I should clarify. :)

I don't like when players ESPECIALLY in big games, if not the BIGGEST game (*cough* Poster Child Jerramy Stevens *cough*) feel the need to provide their opponent with bulletin board material. Swag I love, but there's a way to have swag without firing up your opponent.

Most smart players (I say most because obviously Sherman is very smart) know better than to talk trash about their opponents. There's very, very, very little good that comes from it. Save your trash talking for ON THE FIELD in the heat of battle, not days, weeks before an imminent battle.

To me, talk UP your opponent BEFORE the game, and then if you want to talk trash to rattle them on the field, go for it.

Let your playing speak volumes, not your words before the game is even played.

I don't mind one bit when the LOB talks swag during press conferences. They've earned the right to brag. But don't make it personal and certainly don't feel the need to put down an imminent opponent. Just common sense stuff.

themunn

Reaction score
hawk45":1g6ypkd4 said:
Maybe there is no impact but the bit player criticizing the best in the game and being utterly wrong makes Lane look dumb far more than it makes him look brave.
Not that he is dumb, but the comment was an unfortunate one.

Yeah but at the end of the day Gronk is either going to beast off or get shut down.

If Gronk wins the matchup then Lane will be a lot more upset that he probably lost the game than the matchup. If Lane (or whoever) wins? Then he gets to look prescient, and it also puts doubt on whether or not Gronk was ever that great.

In all honesty I think Vernon Davis is a better TE and a tougher matchup than Gronk. Guy that's had Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick throwing to him still putting up multiple 800 yard + 7+ TD seasons? He's faster and stronger than Gronk too, although Gronk definitely throws his strength around more.

Remember we played him in 2012 and while he had 6 catches, they were for 61 yards and no TDs. We've had one really poor game against Antonio Gates (98 yards, 3 TDs), but we were 5th overall in yards allowed versus TEs and held every other TE to less than 40 yards I believe. We did give up 11 of our passing 17 TDs to TEs which is slightly concerning, but aside from that game against Gates we gave up no more than 1 in any single game, so I think it's a stat that looks worse than it is (especially since our 5 against WRs is 1st by a massive margin - no other team gave up less than 10)

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2t25huip said:
Armchair Bronco":2t25huip said:

Belichick probably won't say that, but I think you are severely underrating how much this stuff sticks with players. Especially seeing how every perceived slight motivates our own Seahawks players, how can you say it's overrated? The Seahawks throw out the slights they have heard about themselves the first chance they get after they perform well. It is what fuels them.

If the Pats win and Gronk has a big day, what do you think one of the first things he says after the game is? My bet would be he mentions how he's "not that good".

Maybe. But if the Pats win, it will not be because of anything that Jeremy Lane said.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
last year the media and PM himself took a little exception to Seahawk players saying he throws ducks.

It did not make Manning play better.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2rupuj60 said:
last year the media and PM himself took a little exception to Seahawk players saying he throws ducks.

Because it was true, he does throw ducks.

Saying Gronk is not good is not true, though. Saying he's not the best of all time, sure you have an argument. But saying he's not even good?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1uzkcux3 said:
Scottemojo":1uzkcux3 said:

Because it was true, he does throw ducks.

Saying Gronk is not good is not true, though. Saying he's not the best of all time, sure you have an argument. But saying he's not even good?

I think Lane probably worded it horribly. Reason I say that is because the rest of his quote.

To me it came off like he was saying "if we do what we do, he won't be a major factor" .. but of course.. no one will bother to really read into that and just see "he's not that good" and go crazy with it.

Much ado about nothing.. which is all the coverage really is for the next week.

Latest posts