Jarren Reed, Justin Britt and KJ Wright

getnasty

Reaction score
All very hypothetical but lets say Seattle keeps 2 out of the 3 which 2 are you keeping? Assuming Britt cost 8.5, Wright 7.5 and Reed 9 million on 1 year deals

For me i'll go Reed and Britt, I think Britt is a decent center and there gonna have enough turnover on the OL as it is. I also like that Reed on a 1 year deal coming off a down year should be hungry.

KJ while still a good player doesn't play as important postion as the other two and Barton shouldn't be to much of a downgrade this upcoming year.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
My take is Britt's position is one of the most important on the O Line and he plays it very well.
KJ's responsibilities are immense and he does his job at a high level. Barton will get better in time but he's not there yet. He is a significant dropoff at this time.
Reed's spot is one where we have options that might do as well, or potentially better than he does, at a lower cap hit, and without the drama. Letting Reed goes saves us the most cap to work with.
It's a nasty choice to have to make any way you look at it.

Tical21

Reaction score
This is a little silly because there's no chance you get KJ or Britt on a 1-year deal, except for at their current numbers, which are significantly higher than you've portrayed. If you keep Britt, it's most likely something like a 3-year deal with higher guarantees than he has now. Reed, I could see a 1-year deal for if his market doesn't materialize. KJ isn't going to take a simple paycut to come back. That said, we don't have adequate backups for Britt or Reed, so I'd say them, even though I think KJ is the best player of the three.

Tical21

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3ej368tv said:
My take is Britt's position is one of the most important on the O Line and he plays it very well.
KJ's responsibilities are immense and he does his job at a high level. Barton will get better in time but he's not there yet. He is a significant dropoff at this time.
Reed's spot is one where we have options that might do as well, or potentially better than he does, at a lower cap hit, and without the drama. Letting Reed goes saves us the most cap to work with.
What players are you seeing on our roster at DT?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
All three of these players dominos will fall after we see if John can sign Clowney or make a trade for a top tier DE.

If we do sign Clowney, or trade for a DE like Ngakoue and have to give them big money? Then there's going to be some hard cuts or forced re-structuring for Britt and/or KJ I'd suspect, and probably means no Reed.

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
Tical21":jade1bh6 said:
This is a little silly because there's no chance you get KJ or Britt on a 1-year deal, except for at their current numbers, which are significantly higher than you've portrayed. If you keep Britt, it's most likely something like a 3-year deal with higher guarantees than he has now. Reed, I could see a 1-year deal for if his market doesn't materialize. KJ isn't going to take a simple paycut to come back. That said, we don't have adequate backups for Britt or Reed, so I'd say them, even though I think KJ is the best player of the three.

We have Britt and KJ signed already for another year so it's already essentially a 1 year deal. There signed for more the the money i assigned then but if you cut them that's the money we'd save.

Tical21

Reaction score
getnasty":16lt4jdq said:
Tical21":16lt4jdq said:

We have Britt and KJ signed already for another year so it's already essentially a 1 year deal. There signed for more the the money i assigned then but if you cut them that's the money we'd save.
Why didn't you do Britt at 11.4, KJ at 10 and Reed at like 11? I don't get what you're trying to do here. There's a 0% chance we get either Britt or KJ at the numbers you're saying on 1-year deals, so I don't really understand the point of the exercise. Why don't we just include Clowney at 12 million?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":6i8lobsi said:
getnasty":6i8lobsi said:
Tical21":6i8lobsi said:

Why didn't you do Britt at 11.4, KJ at 10 and Reed at like 11? I don't get what you're trying to do here. There's a 0% chance we get either Britt or KJ at the numbers you're saying on 1-year deals, so I don't really understand the point of the exercise. Why don't we just include Clowney at 12 million?

nasty is saying both Britt and KJ are already signed for 2020 at their respective contracts (10M and 11.4M), so in essence those are one year deals.

I imagine we approach both players if they're in our 2-3 year plans to re-structure.

But like I said, if we sign a bigtime free agent DE, either or both Britt and KJ could be on the cut chopping block.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1x3nmd0o said:
Tical21":1x3nmd0o said:
getnasty":1x3nmd0o said:
Tical21":1x3nmd0o said:

nasty is saying both Britt and KJ are already signed for 2020 at their respective contracts (10M and 11.4M), so in essence those are one year deals.

I imagine we approach both players if they're in our 2-3 year plans to re-structure.

But like I said, if we sign a bigtime free agent DE, either or both Britt and KJ could be on the cut chopping block.
I get they're in the last year of their deals, but they aren't on 1 year 8 million dollar deals. I think we'd all keep Britt at 1/8. But would we keep him at 1/11.4? That's the question, right? I agree that if he's back, it will be something like a 3/24 type of deal with front-loaded guarantees. I'm all-in for entertaining hypotheticals, but at least make them plausible.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":3n8bg3r1 said:
Sgt. Largent":3n8bg3r1 said:
Tical21":3n8bg3r1 said:
getnasty":3n8bg3r1 said:

I get they're in the last year of their deals, but they aren't on 1 year 8 million dollar deals. I think we'd all keep Britt at 1/8. But would we keep him at 1/11.4? That's the question, right? I agree that if he's back, it will be something like a 3/24 type of deal with front-loaded guarantees. I'm all-in for entertaining hypotheticals, but at least make them plausible.

Gotcha.

I do not want to keep Britt at almost 12M. IMO either we think he's our center for the next 2-3 years or we don't. If we don't, cut him and save the cap. If we do, then restructure and extend for 2-3 years so we can get some cap relief this year.

I also love KJ, but if we need his 10M to go get a couple bigtime D-line free agents? Then cut him and go with Barton and keep on drafting LB's.

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
Tical21":6rwy92nx said:
Sgt. Largent":6rwy92nx said:
Tical21":6rwy92nx said:
getnasty":6rwy92nx said:

Your right if we don't restructure Britt will cost 11.4 million 3 million is getting paid weather he's on this team or not. Maybe i should have posed it this way.

Choose 2 of the 3

Pay Britt 8.5 million on top of the 3 we owe him and are never getting back.

Pay KJ 7.5 million on top of 2.5 we owe him and are never getting back.

Sign Reed to a 1 year 9 million dollar deal.

In a perfect world KJ and Britt restructure but maybe not.

Tical21

Reaction score
Ah, I get what you were saying now. Makes much more sense.

I think Britt will agree to a restructure, because there isn't anybody that will pay him his 11.4 million, so there's no way he's ever going to get that number for this season. And I'm pretty sure we want to get that done too. Something like 3/26 with 15 guaranteed. I'm not sure either side has a choice but to make that happen.

KJ is a tough one because he can probably get somewhere in that 9+ range on the open market,so it doesn't make sense for him to take less and agree to a pay cut on a one year deal.. In order to get him done, we'd have to add more years, and I don't think we'll want to do that. LB is typically a place that it's pretty easy to get younger and cheaper without a significant dropoff, and you probably want Barton playing the nickel snaps, which leaves KJ as a 40% of snaps player if you get a competent nickel. I think he's kind of a wait-and-see cut. If there are other players we're going to get and we need that money, we'll end up cutting him. If we aren't able to land a lot, and he's sitting on our roster and we have cap room, we'll keep him another year. He'd be great on one of the teams that run our defense and need a LB, or as an ILB on a 3-4 team.

Reed, I dunno. I don't think he takes a one-year deal until pretty late in the process, and then I kinda have a feeling he'd move on to somewhere else. I have a feeling we'll pay him long-term, but man, that's a big number if his 2018 pass rush numbers were a fluke. You can get run suffers for pretty cheap. All depends on whether or not we view him as a leader, and what they think of his pass rush ability.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
getnasty":rz2a2paf said:
Choose 2 of the 3

FWIW, we don't OWE them the $3M and $2.5M I bolded above.

They have already been paid that money when they were given their signing bonuses. The $3M and $2.5M are the 2020 prorated portions of their signing bonuses. They count against the team's 2020 cap but the players have already been paid those amounts.

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2w1uvv56 said:
getnasty":2w1uvv56 said:
Choose 2 of the 3

FWIW, we don't OWE them the $3M and $2.5M I bolded above.

They have already been paid that money when they were given their signing bonuses. The $3M and $2.5M are the 2020 prorated portions of their signing bonuses. They count against the team's 2020 cap but the players have already been paid those amounts.

I realize that but it still comes out of the 2020 bugdet weather they play here or not.

Jville

Reaction score
All three of these players have important leadership roles in addition to on field assignments. That value may not be as applicable in a different system. Leadership roles are often under recognized by many of us who are outside of the VMAC trying to follow the team.

K.J. is one of two players, I'm aware of, who will see a $1,000,000 roster bonus on March 22nd .... roughly 2 weeks away.

I'm pulling for all three as contributors in 2020. Two will have to negotiate a restructure thru extension. The third needs to find agree to his second contract. What we do know is that everyone must form a positive consciences of agreement on any new contract or restructure to go forward. That's mandatory in the Seahawks culture. :biggthumpup:

chris98251

Reaction score
Seahawks are notorious for being tight lipped about stuff till then last minute and release information in chunks, they misdirect with visits and target someone else many times hoping to make other teams feel desperate in grabbing someone they really were not looking at seriously.

Take what you don't hear and hear with a grain of salt and don't be surprised about what happens.

Remember Wilson was going to sign with the Giants for both his contracts when due as well based on the experts, they were going to sign Suh last year also but that wasn't really happening either but had him in for a visit.

kf3339

Reaction score
Personally, I would expect both Britt and KJ to restructure their contracts for this coming season and beyond. They both have had injuries and seriously doubt they would command close to their current contracts with other teams. Reed though is the one I believe leaves in free agency.

If his contract comments are even close to his asking price he is gone. Considering how he played coming back from suspension I am fine with it. His play was one of the most disappointing things about last season. Rather than being a total monster and creating havoc on the interior he was not much of a factor at all. Jefferson and Al Wood caused more havoc than he did. So I see Reed going elsewhere.

chet380

Reaction score
Appyhawk":36wxxmjn said:

If Reed goes, grab FA M. Bennett and coach a healthy Collier up.

Rob_Grimm

Reaction score
Maybe we ask Britt to restructure, maybe he agrees, but I don’t get why we’re considering dumping him? Justin Britt is a solid starter at center and isn’t too cost heavy. I feel the same way about KJ. I see no reason to cut bait on the last year of his contract. That’d actually be a crappy thing to do to a career Seahawk who played great last year.
Is this so we can afford Clowney? Nah man...Clowney is real good. Disruptive, big facts. But we can replace 3 and a half sacks for a lot less than 23mil.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Rob_Grimm":3vt02476 said:
Maybe we ask Britt to restructure, maybe he agrees, but I don’t get why we’re considering dumping him? Justin Britt is a solid starter at center and isn’t too cost heavy. I feel the same way about KJ. I see no reason to cut bait on the last year of his contract. That’d actually be a crappy thing to do to a career Seahawk who played great last year.

Great is an overstatement for both of these guys, especially KJ.