Jackson Powers-Johnson

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I've been a champion for having a strong center since we lost Unger. But this year that position is far down my list of wants/needs. I would like to see us find out what we can get for Bush, Jones, Smith, Taylor, and maybe even Lockett. Snag whatever savings we can by freeing up Adams and Diggs, sign Wagz, Brooks, Williams, Queen, and Clowney. then draft IOL and DL. I think we already have what we need to cover at safety and center. Hope Nwosu comes back strong. That would help a lot, along with playing attack mode instead of reactive.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I guess after reading through all the posts, I still come to the same conclusion.
Our D needs help at multiple spots, our interior Oline is a mess. Realistically this is going to take us 2 maybe 3 offseasons to get MM & JS version of the team they want constructed. There will be multiple cuts & restructured contracts.
Our Defense isn't as in need if they can sign S Stone, LB Queen & resign Williams. Yes we would still have holes on Defense, but these 3 are big needs. I doubt we can get all 3, but 2 are very double.
Our Oline really all depends on what the status is on Lucas & Olu. If Olu has developed enough strength to anchor the center position, and if Lucas knee looks like it will hold up, then we are looking for 2 guards, which we wouldn't have to use our #16 pick on.
So I guess my conclusion is @ #16 as of right now is a complete crap shoot, with not knowing our exact needs. If there is a stud player available that is a day 1 difference maker then take him. If not move down for a "target" and pick up extra draft capital. We are in search of a possible 12-15 guys to fill holes or upgrade.
So if we take JPJ in the first rd @ 16 or after a trade down, I'm more then ok with it. Not the sexy pick, but I doubt we complain over the next 10 years having a Pro Bowl caliber center. Instead of every year wishing we had better. Our Oline was never as strong since we traded Unger.
It'd be more defensible to use 16 on a guard prospect than a center prospect by market value and precedent alone.

Plenty of guards, or tackles who converted to guard, have been taken top 16.

Center hasn't been taken top 16 since *1993*.

Just not a realistic use of premium draft capital when considering the market value of centers. Every single center in the NFL right now has been taken later than we're discussing taking JPJ. Every single one.

Also, we've had plenty of decent centers over the years post-Unger (Britt and Pocic were both decent) and have had better overall lines since, as well. The 2020 line in particular was better in most regards, despite being sold out by a frantic and spun-out Russ.

Chevy

Reaction score
It'd be more defensible to use 16 on a guard prospect than a center prospect by market value and precedent alone.

Just not a realistic use of premium draft capital when considering the market value of centers. Every single center in the NFL right now has been taken later than we're discussing taking JPJ. Every single one.

Also, we've had plenty of decent centers over the years post-Unger (Britt and Pocic were both decent) and have had better overall lines since, as well. The 2020 line in particular was better in most regards, despite being sold out by a frantic and spun-out Russ.

I'll push back a bit. Teams resign their OC if they are good and don't let them hit free agency. Good OGs hit free agency fairly often. The one knucklehead team that traded away their pro-bowl center was the Seahawks and were not better for it. So yes, OGs are drafted higher in the draft than OCs, but good OGs are more available in free agency than good OCs.

There is a great OG in free agency this year. I would rather sign him, then use draft capitol on young hungry defensive players. Or even use draft capital to target a QB.

OG Robert Hunt is a free agent this year, and would be a great upgrade to our offensive line.

12forlife

Reaction score

I think your missing something. If you would rather have a Guard @ 16 or after a slight trade down, I would still draft JPJ, his natural position is Guard, so you would be drafting a guy that can play all 3 interior positions? He is considered the best interior Olineman. Now an argument can also be mage for Troy Fautanu, he would be drafted to be a gaurd, with the abilities to fill in replace Lucas if need be?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think your missing something. If you would rather have a Guard @ 16 or after a slight trade down, I would still draft JPJ, his natural position is Guard, so you would be drafting a guy that can play all 3 interior positions? He is considered the best interior Olineman. Now an argument can also be mage for Troy Fautanu, he would be drafted to be a gaurd, with the abilities to fill in replace Lucas if need be?
That is true about JPJ. I had been discussing him in the context of viewing him as center-only, as I believe @Chevy does. If we're looking at him as a swing IOL who could slot in any of the 3 positions rather than as a center-limited prospect, then I can get in on it a bit more.

12forlife

Reaction score
This is fun and all, but I think I will reserve my thoughts until the free agency dust settles? Way to many pieces could be moving in & out. Besides not having a clear picture on Lucas's knee & if Olu can be a NFL caliber Center? Also who do they resign?
I mean in a perfect world Lucas & Olu are a go! We get Williams, Parkinson, and (Bobby cheap) to resign.
In FA we target S Stone, LB Queen, LB Luvu, OG Hunt. Hope to land 2.
If we can check those boxes then our "needs" become much clearer on where to focus our draft capital?
QBOTF, LB, Dline, Oline, Saftey, TE, if our QBOTF isn't available then we can be patient and pick BPA @ the other positions

Chawker

Reaction score
If you guys are interested in versatility I think we would be better off drafting Dominick Puni in the third round. 6'4" 323 can play all 5 OL positions. Showed his skills at the senior bowl, has great foot work. Great swing OL, and projects at OG. Puni would be worth a third round selection without giving up a first round reach on a guy with a cool name like "Powers"

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Bears and Seahawks desperately need to upgrade the center position. One view is that in this draft class there are 3 or 4 centers of approximately equal ability, and you can just grab one in the third round. Another view is that Powers-Johnson is an elite talent and will be drafted late in the first round. My question: If you are convinced that a college center is a future All Pro, is it ever reasonable to draft him in the first round? On the Bears forum, opinions are divided.

chris98251

Reaction score
Think you need to see what Olu brings, remember Unger spent a year as a Guard, then needed to bulk up and add muscle to be where he eventually settled in.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Bears and Seahawks desperately need to upgrade the center position. One view is that in this draft class there are 3 or 4 centers of approximately equal ability, and you can just grab one in the third round. Another view is that Powers-Johnson is an elite talent and will be drafted late in the first round. My question: If you are convinced that a college center is a future All Pro, is it ever reasonable to draft him in the first round? On the Bears forum, opinions are divided.
It gets significantly more appropriate to take a center in the closing stages of round 1, where the probability of pulling a player who will end up being an above average starter dips to about 55% or lower, and the probability of taking a pro bowler is significantly under 20%. Taking the top center on the board at that stage perceptibly increases the chance of nailing down a Pro Bowl talent, which makes the trade-off of the relatively low upside of "hitting" on a center much more worth it.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
It gets significantly more appropriate to take a center in the closing stages of round 1, where the probability of pulling a player who will end up being an above average starter dips to about 55% or lower, and the probability of taking a pro bowler is significantly under 20%. Taking the top center on the board at that stage perceptibly increases the chance of nailing down a Pro Bowl talent, which makes the trade-off of the relatively low upside of "hitting" on a center much more worth it.
That is exactly what I want the Bears to do. Trade down the #9 pick. The Seahawks should probably stay at #16 and take Bo Nix.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I also want to caution against using pressure stats on JPJ.

Remember, Ethan Pocic didn't give up a single hurry in his entire final season at LSU. He's a top-10 center talent now, but we got him for I'd estimate about a fourth of the value of pick 16 overall.

Also, JPJ plays in a slightly wonky offense. Nix with that manufactured completion percentage and all.

He's the best center in the class, but by how much? I think that's a better debate.

I'd want to lean on Grubb's OL background as much as is possible to save resources at the spot and elevate some less pricey talents, name of the game has to be to find talent at a more advantageous spot. Center or guard in the third sounds like a better sweet spot to me.

12forlife

Reaction score
I also want to caution against using pressure stats on JPJ.

Remember, Ethan Pocic didn't give up a single hurry in his entire final season at LSU. He's a top-10 center talent now, but we got him for I'd estimate about a fourth of the value of pick 16 overall.

Also, JPJ plays in a slightly wonky offense. Nix with that manufactured completion percentage and all.

He's the best center in the class, but by how much? I think that's a better debate.

I'd want to lean on Grubb's OL background as much as is possible to save resources at the spot and elevate some less pricey talents, name of the game has to be to find talent at a more advantageous spot. Center or guard in the third sounds like a better sweet spot to me.
I have a lot of faith in Grubb & Huff to get the Oline figured out in rather quick fashion. Like I have said JPJ is a Center you take with the mindset he is our Pro Bowl caliber Center for the next 10-12yrs so you don't have to keep selecting a low round Center that needs built up or lacks certain traits. I also feel we are on the QB hunt and I feel that is where our 1st rd pick goes. I'm liking the possible idea of Van Pran in the 3rd or possibly Puni could be a plug & play guard with the ability to be a Center?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Man. The more tape I watch of this guy, the more I fall in love. He is an absolute powerhouse! He HAS to be the selection at 16. Make whatever trades or backdoor deals you need to for extra picks or whatnot, but use that 16th pick on this man. He's literally Creed Humphrey 2.0. Don't get cute and eff this up John!!

The Bears had 8 people, including Eberflus, attend the Oregon Pro Day today. Let’s trade #9 for #16.

12forlife

Reaction score
The Bears had 8 people, including Eberflus, attend the Oregon Pro Day today. Let’s trade #9 for #16.
Yeah moving to #9, I don't think is high enough for JJ? No real reason to move up if not for a QB. With the top 3 QB's & WR's, and OT filling up the top 10, if we stayed at #16 there is alot of Impactful prospects going to be available.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah moving to #9, I don't think is high enough for JJ? No real reason to move up if not for a QB. With the top 3 QB's & WR's, and OT filling up the top 10, if we stayed at #16 there is alot of Impactful prospects going to be available.
Nix or JJ will be there. Both are solid prospects. Seahawks are going to have WORSE positioning to draft a QB next year. This is the time to do it.

12forlife

Reaction score
Nix or JJ will be there. Both are solid prospects. Seahawks are going to have WORSE positioning to draft a QB next year. This is the time to do it.
I agree this is the draft that the talent is available. Next year is no given, but as of now next years class is weaker, and we are probably looking at drafting around #20 next year.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I agree this is the draft that the talent is available. Next year is no given, but as of now next years class is weaker, and we are probably looking at drafting around #20 next year.
This is so obvious that I don’t understand why more people don’t see it. If it is not done this year, 2025 is realistically Geno’s final year, and we’ll have to take a veteran QB or sell the farm to move up to top-5. This trade would work great for both the Bears and Seahawks.