Jackson Powers-Johnson

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Man. The more tape I watch of this guy, the more I fall in love. He is an absolute powerhouse! He HAS to be the selection at 16. Make whatever trades or backdoor deals you need to for extra picks or whatnot, but use that 16th pick on this man. He's literally Creed Humphrey 2.0. Don't get cute and eff this up John!!

KinesProf

Reaction score
I like him a lot, hopefully he's considerably better at snapping the football than Creed Humphrey though. Creed has been sending Mahomes ground balls when not under center.

I do think I would prefer Fautanu, Barton, or Fuaga if going oline though because of their interior line/offensive tackle versatility.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Man. The more tape I watch of this guy, the more I fall in love. He is an absolute powerhouse! He HAS to be the selection at 16. Make whatever trades or backdoor deals you need to for extra picks or whatnot, but use that 16th pick on this man. He's literally Creed Humphrey 2.0. Don't get cute and eff this up John!!

He’s a veritable Olu Oluwatimi for sure! Oh wait, we already got one of those…

12forlife

Reaction score
I like him a lot, hopefully he's considerably better at snapping the football than Creed Humphrey though. Creed has been sending Mahomes ground balls when not under center.

I do think I would prefer Fautanu, Barton, or Fuaga if going oline though because of their interior line/offensive tackle versatility.
This could all get interesting, both points are correct with interesting prospects.
I think something we have to "know" before we know what direction to go with our Oline. Imo it all depends on Lucas's knee??? If his knee is going to continue to be an issue, then maybe we look at a new LT, then move Cross to RT, and see if he does better s RT, move Lucas into RG.
If they believe Lucas can hold up, then JPJ makes alot of sense. Besides a QBOTF, a STUD Center could really help elevate our offense.

12forlife

Reaction score
I'm good. Center at 16 is even worse positional value than running back at 16 these days.

I'd roll with an average to just under average center all day if it meant I could use 16 on an actual premium position.
I agree may be a bit rich #16? Be nice to move down a bit, recoup some draft capital, and get him in the 20's, I get that it isn't the sexy pick, but a Stud in the center of the the trenches is never a bad idea.
@ 16 QBOTF, DT, DE, OT, would all be great value picks as well If the guy they want is there?
With JPJ you get a potential Pro Bowl caliber Center for hopefully the next 10 seasons, taking him in the 1st round isn't rich while it is a position of great need for the team.

OP
OP
Mistashoesta

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
They need to protect Geno if he is going to be the guy this year. When he has time in the pocket, he can carve em up with the best of em. When he's pressured... you know that answer. Solidify the o-line, then next year with it being a weak qb class, you will have better luck trading him to someone else if you see fit.

Chevy

Reaction score
I'm good. Center at 16 is even worse positional value than running back at 16 these days.

I'd roll with an average to just under average center all day if it meant I could use 16 on an actual premium position.

Good offensive lines dictate the success of a RB. If we roll with an under average interior offensive line, then we are just wasting two 2nd round RBs and end up with a sputtering offense. Our new offensive coordinator has said it all starts up front on the offensive line, for the offense to work. Individual starting offensive lineman get more game reps than a RB does.

At pick #16 there aren't too many players I would stick and pick. The ones I would stay for are a couple of offensive lineman, maybe one OLB/DE, and QB JJ. Outside of that, its a trade down for probably a interior offensive lineman or a slight reach on a DT.

Who do you like at #16, or at a realistic trade up, or a trade down for the Seahawks?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Good offensive lines dictate the success of a RB. If we roll with an under average interior offensive line, then we are just wasting two 2nd round RBs and end up with a sputtering offense. Our new offensive coordinator has said it all starts up front on the offensive line, for the offense to work. Individual starting offensive lineman get more game reps than a RB does.

At pick #16 there aren't too many players I would stick and pick. The ones I would stay for are a couple of offensive lineman, maybe one OLB/DE, and QB JJ. Outside of that, its a trade down for probably a interior offensive lineman or a slight reach on a DT.

Who do you like at #16, or at a realistic trade up, or a trade down for the Seahawks?
I agree that center is important, to be clear. I just think it'd be poor practice to take one so high when the rest of the NFL at large hasn't in so long.

For reference, KICKER has been taken in the top 17 picks more recently than center has (Janikowski 17th overall in 2000 vs. Damien Woody 17th overall in 1999).

Us taking JPJ at 16 would be the largest draft investment in a center in over 30 years. We have to go back to 1993 when Steve Everitt was taken 14th overall by the Browns. It's a big, big, big outlier to take a center in the first half of the first round in the modern NFL.

For sticking-and-picking, I'd have the following players under consideration. Most are quite unlikely, of course. Depending on who is left at 16, I'd be looking at trade options anyway to see whats out there, as I'd prefer to pick up some additional selections to fill out the roster with handpicked new-regime guys.

Caleb Williams
Drake Maye
Jayden Daniels
MVH Jr.
Malik Nabers
Rome Odunze
Brock Bowers
Joe Alt
Olu Fashanu
Taliese Fuaga
JC Latham
Jer'Zhan Newton
Byron Murphy
Dallas Turner
Jared Verse
Laiatu Latu

Players like JPJ, Graham Barton, the second-tier QBs, T'Vondre Sweat, Chop Robinson, the top off-ball LBs/secondary guys all become considerations after a trade-down for me.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I agree that center is important, to be clear. I just think it'd be poor practice to take one so high when the rest of the NFL at large hasn't in so long.

For reference, KICKER has been taken in the top 17 picks more recently than center has (Janikowski 17th overall in 2000 vs. Damien Woody 17th overall in 1999).

Us taking JPJ at 16 would be the largest draft investment in a center in over 30 years. We have to go back to 1993 when Steve Everitt was taken 14th overall by the Browns. It's a big, big, big outlier to take a center in the first half of the first round in the modern NFL.

For sticking-and-picking, I'd have the following players under consideration. Most are quite unlikely, of course. Depending on who is left at 16, I'd be looking at trade options anyway to see whats out there, as I'd prefer to pick up some additional selections to fill out the roster with handpicked new-regime guys.

Caleb Williams
Drake Maye
Jayden Daniels
MVH Jr.
Malik Nabers
Rome Odunze
Brock Bowers
Joe Alt
Olu Fashanu
Taliese Fuaga
JC Latham
Jer'Zhan Newton
Byron Murphy
Dallas Turner
Jared Verse
Laiatu Latu

Players like JPJ, Graham Barton, the second-tier QBs, T'Vondre Sweat, Chop Robinson, the top off-ball LBs/secondary guys all become considerations after a trade-down for me.
I want to add this on to my thoughts about drafting a center high.

Say we spend 16 on JPJ and he goes on to be a top-3 center in the league.

That would be as successful as we could hope for that pick to be. That, today, is worth almost 5 million less per year than the contract that Dre'Mont Jones is on.

There's just no upside. We can obtain the best center in any given free agent class for vastly less overall resources than the 16th overall pick. The NFL doesn't value the position because a fantastic center doesn't elevate you much higher than a decent one does. Best one in the league is worth what the 28th highest paid OT in the league gets. Just spend the high picks at a premium spot, if you ask me.

Chevy

Reaction score

Caleb Williams
Drake Maye
Jayden Daniels
MVH Jr.
Malik Nabers
Rome Odunze
Brock Bowers
Joe Alt
Olu Fashanu
Taliese Fuaga
JC Latham
Jer'Zhan Newton
Byron Murphy
Dallas Turner
Jared Verse
Laiatu Latu

Okay good list of player options. But like you said, some if not most will not be there at #16.

There are a lot of centers that have been drafted in the 1st round. Above #17, then yes you won this specific argument. Mike Pouncey was drafted at #18 in 2010.

How many kickers have been drafted in the 1st round and how many centers have been drafted in the 1st round the last 30 years? Yes you found one outlier for a Kicker, but good luck winning my question to you. Is kicker really more highly regarded than a center after you do your draft history research?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Okay good list of player options. But like you said, some if not most will not be there at #16.

There are a lot of centers that have been drafted in the 1st round. Above #17, then yes you won this specific argument. Mike Pouncey was drafted at #18 in 2010.

How many kickers have been drafted in the 1st round and how many centers have been drafted in the 1st round the last 30 years? Yes you found one outlier for a Kicker, but good luck winning my question to you. Is kicker really more highly regarded than a center after you do your draft history research?
The kicker thing was more of a fun tidbit to illustrate the absence of center being a consideration with premium (as in, top half of the first round) draft capital. I'm just saying that, based on market value, the upside is really limited in terms of the positive effect we'd get from a "hit" at the spot relative to what sort of positive effect a hit at a more valued position would provide, and 16th overall is the sort of slot where you have a great chance at getting yourself a hit at one of those spots that the NFL market has assigned premium value to.

To take a center there would objectively limit the upside we could expect from the pick. We'd have to be very down on the other prospects available at the spot, very high on JPJ's caliber, and out of decent trade down options to consider it, in my view.

Chevy

Reaction score
I want to add this on to my thoughts about drafting a center high.

Say we spend 16 on JPJ and he goes on to be a top-3 center in the league.

That would be as successful as we could hope for that pick to be. That, today, is worth almost 5 million less per year than the contract that Dre'Mont Jones is on.

There's just no upside. We can obtain the best center in any given free agent class for vastly less overall resources than the 16th overall pick. The NFL doesn't value the position because a fantastic center doesn't elevate you much higher than a decent one does. Best one in the league is worth what the 28th highest paid OT in the league gets. Just spend the high picks at a premium spot, if you ask me.

Dre'Mont Jones production has been that of a 6th round rookie DE for the Seahawks, yet he is being paid top dollar. Yes a top-3 center in the NFL would make more of a team impact than what Jones did this past year.

We have been chasing starting center every year in the free agent class, with below average results. They are playing like maybe a 5th round rookie results wise. We continually have bad overall offensive line play. We have 2 nice OTs, but the interior is a mess.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Dre'Mont Jones production has been that of a 6th round rookie DE for the Seahawks, yet he is being paid top dollar. Yes a top-3 center in the NFL would make more of a team impact than what Jones did this past year.

We have been chasing starting center every year in the free agent class, with below average results. They are playing like maybe a 5th round rookie results wise. We continually have bad overall offensive line play. We have 2 nice OTs, but the interior is a mess.
Your points on Dre'Mont and our previous free agent centers ring true, yes. However - my larger point is to illustrate how expensive other positions are relative to center. A hit at any defensive line spot is going to be worth about double the market value of a center who is on a hall of fame trajectory by the time his first contract runs out. Maybe more than double if you REALLY hit (Bosa 34m APY vs Linsley 12.5m APY)

We have failed at free agent centers, but what I mean to say is even the best in the NFL, like Corey Linsley... I mean, they only achieve market value rivaling middling defensive ends and slightly above average tackles. I'd be happier trying to devote the high capital to those expensive and sought after spots and backfilling center as necessary, whether that be a worthy day 2 prospect or what have you.

Chevy

Reaction score
The kicker thing was more of a fun tidbit to illustrate the absence of center being a consideration with premium (as in, top half of the first round) draft capital. I'm just saying that, based on market value, the upside is really limited in terms of the positive effect we'd get from a "hit" at the spot relative to what sort of positive effect a hit at a more valued position would provide, and 16th overall is the sort of slot where you have a great chance at getting yourself a hit at one of those spots that the NFL market has assigned premium value to.

To take a center there would objectively limit the upside we could expect from the pick. We'd have to be very down on the other prospects available at the spot, very high on JPJ's caliber, and out of decent trade down options to consider it, in my view.

I understand your take on the hit at #16. But, this year is bad for 16. JS could gamble and take a raw athletic OT, reach on a QB, take the 4th rated raw OLB/DE, or undersized DT at #16. Or take a dominate interior offensive lineman.

If you came to that same conclusion, then yes come draft day, our best option are interior offensive lineman and want to trade down. I'd be good with that. I just don't want us to reach on a DT, OT, DE if we stick at #16. I am leaning into your thought process though.

I want JJ the most at this point of the draft process.

12forlife

Reaction score
I guess after reading through all the posts, I still come to the same conclusion.
Our D needs help at multiple spots, our interior Oline is a mess. Realistically this is going to take us 2 maybe 3 offseasons to get MM & JS version of the team they want constructed. There will be multiple cuts & restructured contracts.
Our Defense isn't as in need if they can sign S Stone, LB Queen & resign Williams. Yes we would still have holes on Defense, but these 3 are big needs. I doubt we can get all 3, but 2 are very double.
Our Oline really all depends on what the status is on Lucas & Olu. If Olu has developed enough strength to anchor the center position, and if Lucas knee looks like it will hold up, then we are looking for 2 guards, which we wouldn't have to use our #16 pick on.
So I guess my conclusion is @ #16 as of right now is a complete crap shoot, with not knowing our exact needs. If there is a stud player available that is a day 1 difference maker then take him. If not move down for a "target" and pick up extra draft capital. We are in search of a possible 12-15 guys to fill holes or upgrade.
So if we take JPJ in the first rd @ 16 or after a trade down, I'm more then ok with it. Not the sexy pick, but I doubt we complain over the next 10 years having a Pro Bowl caliber center. Instead of every year wishing we had better. Our Oline was never as strong since we traded Unger.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I think our O is realistically a top 10 unit this year, if we address the interior OL. The D, that could take longer. But if we go D, the. The unit might be around 15-20, and the O could be about the same. What’s better a top 10 O, with a bottom 10 D, or 2 below average units in both sides of the ball?