It's flat out impossible to shake this loss.

Rob12

Reaction score
I'm just going to type and see what comes out.

I need a healthy dose of perspective right now. I have an amazing wife (and a new 12, she never grew up watching football but I've indoctrinated her completely), three healthy baby boys, a house, a good job, and my health. Life should never be all that bad, and it's not. I've got it good. Real good.

But I can't shake this loss. So, it's only been 31 hours, and that's to be expected. But the more I think about it, the more it saddens me. Seeing Russ shake his head immediately after that pick... Seeing Sherman's reaction... Seeing our guys lose their cool at the end of the game while reinforcing every non-Seattle stereotype of our team (Bruce was insanely remorseful, but that narrative doesn't fit with most people), seeing the Pats celebrate... And in the midst of all of that, knowing that if we had just handed Marshawn the ball, we would have walked away with our second straight Lombardi... It just seems like too much to take (as a fan). But then I think about the absolute frailty of human psychology, and how I can let a mere game get to me like this... A game, and a team, that I have literally ZERO control over. It's a funny thing, but we all do it, and it's because we absolutely love our Seahawks. To echo kearly, we had the No. 3 rushing offense of all time, and we employ the hardest to tackle running back in league history, and NE statistically gets owned in power run situations... And we put the Beast on the sidelines, metaphorically speaking. We take a sure win and the coaching staff refuses to grasp it, and instead hands it to Belichick and the New England Patriots. What sense can ever be made of this? I've read the links and seen the damage control by Pete and company, but I can't accept any of it. I had a few people bring up on social media today that Lynch has been stuffed this season four out of five times when he carries it from the one-yard-line, and I just laugh that stupid stat off because of the insanely small sample size, and the fact that that is just a stupid thing to bring up and it doesn't deserve any type of response.

Marshawn taking the high road shows me more and more how classy of an individual he really is. He puts the team first, and refused to bad mouth anyone. I mean sure, he's possibly up for a big payday and might not want to rock that boat, but the restraint that that takes is mind blowing to me. He's 28, and despite showing no signs of slowing down, he doesn't have many years left, and for him to defer to the coaches in that situation shows that he values the team more than he values himself. I'm sure behind closed doors it's a completely different ballgame - but my respect for Marshawn is off the charts. And I hope we extend him and he ends his career as a Hawk. I'm not qualified to know how that can even happen, but this team without Marshawn should scare every single Seahawks fan that lives on this earth.

Russell is a champion, and I love how he won't let one play or game define him. When he says that greater things are coming, I believe him. He's a cliche machine, but those cliches are imbedded in every fiber of that dude's being, and he believes every one of them. He's going to get paid, and again, I don't know how we make all of the numbers work. His contract will be the direct result of us losing some very good players this off season - players that both they, and we, will be blindsided when they become cap casualties. I don't know who those players are, but it's going to hurt. Through all of that, I need to remember that this team without Russell Wilson is something that I flat out do not want to see. No thank you in starting over with the quarterback position - but I've seen more and more fans question the intelligence of signing him to a big deal. Don't let one throw cloud your judgment on our quarterback. Things were dark before he got here, and if he leaves, they'll be even darker. I know I'm 99 percent preaching to the choir here on .NET, but it's amazing to see what people are writing in my Facebook feed.

This brings me to my next point - how do we get him help in the passing game? The dude can extend a play like no one else in league history. You can't teach or coach that - it's the quarterback and football player that he is. He can survive very well without a good pass blocking line, but the questions about our receiving corps have merit. I love Doug, Jermaine, and Richardson. The jury is out on Paul with his knee injury, but I believe he bounces back. But we have to get better in the passing game. Chris Matthews is a wild card, but I loved the big play ability he showed. I think it means bad things if Lockette and Walters are on our 53 next year, and Norwood, despite being a rookie, has to show more. He'll be 26 shortly after the start of next season. We need to hit home runs in the draft when it comes to our passing game. No more projects. The scouting talent that exists in the Seahawks organization must scout better than any other team and find insane value in the draft and get Russ the help he so desperately needs.

The only worry I have on the defensive side of the ball is how the LOB recuperates after going under the knife this off season. We were so damn banged up, and it showed. Brady was always going to get his yards, but the YAC is what showed me that this was a hurting unit. Zero wood was laid. Again, we need to bolster this group in the draft. Maxwell is gone; I absolutely believe that dude has played his last game as a Seattle Seahawk. The same can be said for Jeron Johnson. Tharold Simon looked bad yesterday, but I love that kid's future. Depth is my concern heading into next season.

Finally, and I touched on this earlier - the salary cap situation scares me. Someone brought up the number of $22M under (after the cap increases). When you're talking about Wilson, (most likely) Lynch, Wagner, and a few other key pieces, that's not a lot of breathing room. I'm an absolute idiot when it comes to the cap, but it just seems like we are going to be saying goodbye to some key pieces to this team. Okung (I know his cap hit isn't bad at all for a LT), Mebane, Miller (he gone), Kearse (will have to be an extremely team friendly deal), Maxwell, Johnson, McDaniel (I could be way off with this one)... I can't even think of all the names that could very well be on the chopping back as a result of extensions and staying in a place where our cap number isn't dangerous.

I think that's enough. I'm not as knowledgeable as most on here, though I do feel I have a good grip on what we have to work with. This loss has been, by far, the hardest loss I've ever had to stomach in my more than 25 years of being a Seattle sports fan... I played competitive sports for most of my life, and I can't remember anything that ever left a knot in my stomach quite like this.

Damn it. Go Hawks.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Oh, I almost forgot... FIRE BEVELL. Like, yesterday. Unforgivable in my eyes, Look dude, I hope you get another job, and I don't think for one minute that you're a terrible human being or anything. But damn, you have to go after that.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Regarding Bevell... Isn't the whole Harvin ordeal an unforgivable sequence of events? I won't forget those first four games and how Bevell tried force feeding him the ball in an offense that was ill equipped to handle it. He was willing to completely move away from this team's identity for ONE damn player. An insanely talented, but toxic one at that. We loved us some Percy, but he should have known better. I read all the reports that the Seahawks could have been trying to "showcase" him because they would unload him, but you don't do that. You just don't. I hate calling for another human being to lose their job, but I just don't see how we move forward with this guy calling the plays. I just don't. Not after yesterday, and not after the entirety of the whole season when put into focus. He's shined at times, but enough is enough.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
I sent you a PM Rob hope it helps you. On my cell sorry for any typos.

Seafan

Reaction score
This is how I felt after the San Diego game. Piss poor game plan and even worse play calling. The Hawk coaches just pissed the game away. But I got blasted, mainly from Sarlacc who loves Bevell for some reason. Pete Carroll just pissed his legacy away. Lynch scores there and PC goes to HOF. Hope it was worth it to him.

What's great is Bevell is now known internationally as an idiot, not just here on this board. Good luck ever getting a HC job or ever working for another franchise in the NFL.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Do you know what, I think I'm over the loss already. What has me salty is who we lost to rather than the loss in itself.

I'm not prepared to give up on the people who have taken us to the play offs in 3 straight seasons and 2 superbowls, one a win and the other so very close.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":18xbkm1d said:
Do you know what, I think I'm over the loss already. What has me salty is who we lost to rather than the loss in itself.

I'm not prepared to give up on the people who have taken us to the play offs in 3 straight seasons and 2 superbowls, one a win and the other so very close.

Only one I'm giving up on is Bevell. For as much as PC wants to throw himself under that bus, I'm not buying it. You just don't call that. You just don't. kearly pointed out the reasons why in another thread, and it doesn't need to be repeated.

Unless of course, PC really did call the final play, which is entirely possible I guess considering I've stayed off of the internet all day. If he did, I'm just disappointed and will cool it with the Bevell posts.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
Seafan":1v8pkeek said:
This is how I felt after the San Diego game. Piss poor game plan and even worse play calling. The Hawk coaches just pissed the game away. But I got blasted, mainly from Sarlacc who loves Bevell for some reason. Pete Carroll just pissed his legacy away. Lynch scores there and PC goes to HOF. Hope it was worth it to him.

What's great is Bevell is now known internationally as an idiot, not just here on this board. Good luck ever getting a HC job or ever working for another franchise in the NFL.

Purely IMHO I actually think the sequence of the play call is relatively clear.
1) Timeout called at the 5, 1 min to go, coaching staff decide to run the ball on first down with the aim of winding the clock / making NE use their timeouts. They clearly expected BB to call timeout at which point they would run again.
2) In the event of no NE timeout, the advice to Wilson was to let the clock run as per point 1). I absolutely agree with this tactic, I hate the suggestion that we should have run hurry up to get Lynch the snap with 35-40 secs left (that Atlanta game plus many others I've watched has re-enforced my hate for teams scoring too early before halftime / fulltime. How long did we take to score 7 at the end half? 31 seconds...)
3) The playcall in the scenario outlined in point 2) is a pass because you don't want to use your last timeout and become predictable, which I also actually agree with.
4) Pete Carroll would have made the call for a pass play. Bevell would have called the slant.

I don't really foresee any other scenario of responsibility. From what i can see, I don't blame Lockette or Wilson. Throw was OK, DB made a great jump because Kearse couldn't get the pick. Do I blame Kearse? not really, BB is much bigger and anticipated the pick play.

I can't get the knot out of my stomach. I was in a hotel room watching at 3 am in the UK and just stared in disbelief for about an hour not moving. The entire legacy and season changed on one mad play call. To all those saying why not the read option / naked bootleg - I'm in TOTAL AGREEMENT. Let Wilson have a play where he can view the field and make a decision on what he sees.

Just got to hope for a good offseason now

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I'm over it cuz "real" life moves on, yet I'll never get over it either. Does that make sense?

Hang in there man. It is entertainment after all.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Time heals everything my friend. Just know you are not going through this alone

volsunghawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":31kirif3 said:
I'm over it cuz "real" life moves on, yet I'll never get over it either. Does that make sense?

Hang in there man. It is entertainment after all.

Great post.

That's a "wish we could have that one back" kind of game that's going to stick with any Hawks fan who saw it for the rest of their lives. But I'm already past the grieving. I understand why Carroll/Bevell made the call they did, though I still disagree with the decision generally and the choice of play specifically. But I've made my peace with it all. It was a great game, and one we should be honored that our team was part of.

Something strange I'm noticing about myself, though, is that it sorta feels like I'm coming out of a 2-year long trance in some ways. We saw magic developing late in 2012, and then after that brutal Atlanta loss, I felt (as I know many here did) that huge things were on the horizon. The entire 2013 season was a dream that ended with our team finally winning it all, and then this year was the challenge of repeating. It's seemed like a non-stop football story being told, and it's finally come to the end of a chapter. I'm not floating on air anymore; I feel grounded with the knowledge that instead of it all being a magical ride, it's actually just a great, great football team I root for. And I'm good with that. More than good, actually.

But it feels like for the first time in a long time, I'll be able to focus on something else (he says as he posts on a Seahawks board).

Latest posts