Is Wilson worth $33M per year?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":34pud83s said:
kidhawk":34pud83s said:
I remember having this conversation for Wilson when he got his first "mega-deal". Truth is, having a franchise qb means not being able to pay other players, and we made that choice already. Wilson is still here and many other high paid players are not. We need to continue to build the offense and the cost of this is having a down to earth defense.

Exactly the point I just made above. 100% agree. I hope Pete knows and buys into this. Signing Lockett and Brown indicates he does, but still is a change in his recent and past philosophy.

I think he does as well. We went all in with Wilson from his rookie year. We gave him the number 1 defense to prop him up while he got up to speed (so to speak) but there's only so much cap space. Now it's Wilson's team and we will soon find out (over the next 2 seasons) if we can have enough offense to offset the down to earth defense. I am thinking the plan puts our defense in the 10 - 15 ranks and hopefully builds the offense to top 5 in the league. Will that get us a title? Too early to know, but we have our first true franchise quarterback in Wilson and I for one would like to see what that can lead to.

Rat

Reaction score
Russ will be the highest paid player in NFL history when he gets his new deal. We should just all accept that now.

Hopefully, our front office can continue (or start again) to put quality, low-cost options around him.

drcool

Reaction score
He will be worth top 5 QB money whenever he signs a new contract. Currently that price is $33 mil a year. But after 2 or 3 years when other QBs sign deals that $33 mil will look like a bargain.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Not pointing any fingers but there are quite a few here that start hand wringing when RW doesn't get top 5 or elite status in the media. If we want a good QB we are going to have to pay for him. I obviously cant prove it but I don't think we win a SB in 2013 without RW.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Yes, unquestionably in my mind. The cap will continue to rise so his cap %, while increased, won't look as bad as the jump in raw dollars per year does.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
YES, STUPID.

(attacking the post, not the poster). :p

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Just to answer the question: 'Is Wilson worth $33M per year?"

Reply: Is anyone worth $33 million/year?

The market sets the price and worth it is a relative term.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Depends on whether Schottenheimer can turn him into a consistent pocket passer. He can do it, but until now has done it only in spurts. If he can't do it consistently post-30, then no, he probably won't be worth Rodgers money.

Heck, I doubt Rodgers himself lives up to that contract.

rjdriver

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2xctnxg6 said:
Not pointing any fingers but there are quite a few here that start hand wringing when RW doesn't get top 5 or elite status in the media. If we want a good QB we are going to have to pay for him. I obviously cant prove it but I don't think we win a SB in 2013 without RW.

True.

I also don't think we win the SB in 2013 if Russ were making 30 million a year. Its why an elite QB in his rookie contact is the absolute Sophia Lauren in her prime of scenarios to win a championship.

It seems the formula is either a solid QB on a bargain deal or an elite QB whose wife makes 100M a year and is more than willing to take a discount.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Aros":2e0sfxb9 said:
YES, STUPID.

(attacking the post, not the poster). :p

Save it for the naysayers.....they are on their way. They tend to sleep in.... :stirthepot:

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
There are somewhere between 25-30 other teams who would pay that or more when his contract comes up. The market sets the price. I don’t like paying over $3.00 a gallon for gasoline but that is the market. The market value for franchise QBs has just been reestablished as somewhere in the $30 million plus range. Is RW worth it as the OP asked? He is unless you are confident with a Huntley, Davis or McGough typeplayer at QB.

Tical21

Reaction score
Do you want to be pretty good, have a high floor, be assured of having a good QB, and make the playoffs often? Or do you want to have a shot at winning a Super Bowl? Your answer to this question will determine whether or not you want to pay Russell that kind of money.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Do you believe we have a better chance of winning the SB with RW and less money to spend on other players or with a cheap RW replacement and lots of money to spend on other players? Last time a bad QB won the SB was, funnily enough, Peyton Manning, and he had a historically great defense. You confident the Hawks are gonna have a historic defense to get the job done in the near future?

SkyHawks16

Reaction score
Tical21":2is7qxi9 said:
Do you want to be pretty good, have a high floor, be assured of having a good QB, and make the playoffs often? Or do you want to have a shot at winning a Super Bowl? Your answer to this question will determine whether or not you want to pay Russell that kind of money.
Do elite cheap rookie QBs grow on trees to win us the SB? Because you think that when he leaves, we will hit the jackpot again.

mrt144

Reaction score
SkyHawks16":3qod9f40 said:
Tical21":3qod9f40 said:
Do elite cheap rookie QBs grow on trees to win us the SB? Because you think that when he leaves, we will hit the jackpot again.

I mean that's part of that premium you pay right? Not having to roll the dice 2, 3, 4 or more times.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Nope...we drafted a Wilson before, we can do it again. It's not like we just lucked our way into a Super Bowl win.

Priority 1 = Have the best defense in the league
Priority 2 = Have a good running game
Priority 3 = Have a good QB

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
:34853_doh:

Franchise QB is always the #1 priority, at least for this team. Without Russ, 4 win team, maybe 5.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Honestly, I think I’d rather have Russ for his age 31-34 seasons (years 2020 thru 2023) even at $36 per over Aaron Rodger’s new deal.

What can make any player “worth” the price of business?

1. Skill/Talent
2. Intangiables
3. Availability

The last one sticks out to me above the rest. Mostly because I’ve watched Wilson behind the worst pass-blocking units in his time here running for his life. Only to make it work where he could be successful.

I’ve seen him get rattled, jarred, and obliterated on many occasions. Only to get back up again whether he was okay or not.

I’ve seen Wilson tough out a 2016 season where he was hobbled by an ankle, knee, and pectoral issues. Only to start every game of that season.

Of the 108 games, plus another 27 pre-season games under his belt, he has started every single one.

Of the all the Preparation Week/ Training Camp/ Mini-Camp/ OTA practices, (and I don’t even know how to add that up), but in 6 seasons and 1 pre-season of non game team functions , Wilson has missed what 2-3 days back in that 2016 season.

It’s arguably of whether or not, Wilson should be paid top dollar, but honestly I’d pay a no doubt top 8 QB (if not better depending on who you ask) top dollar knowing this guy has been available in pretty much 100% in all team activities. That’s a guy who can maximize that contract and put himself in position to earn every cent even if he’s not the best statistical QB every single year.

I can’t say that for Rodgers. Guy toughs it out when he can. But he’s also missed 18 games since becoming a starter. 16 games since Wilson came into league. With Olines much more adept in Protection than Wilson has have had.

So to me... yeah Wilson would be worth it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shoot, even the most hardcore Wilson doubters can't truly ever question his toughness. He takes it next level.

Latest posts