Is Wilson worth $33M per year?

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
We'll see how things evolve right now the answer is yes he is worth around the same money as Rogers. I'm not sure Pete and John will survive though if were out of the playoffs 2 or 3 consecutive years.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
If Wilson wants to be the highest paid player in the league in a year or two with a continued playoff draught then the decision gets more difficult.

Steve2222

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2og6utm4 said:
Not pointing any fingers but there are quite a few here that start hand wringing when RW doesn't get top 5 or elite status in the media. If we want a good QB we are going to have to pay for him. I obviously cant prove it but I don't think we win a SB in 2013 without RW.

I’ll do it for you. We don’t win the Super Bowl in 2013 without Russell Wilson.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Is Tom Cruise worth whatever he makes every year, Liam Neeson, Idris Elba, and so on. Entertainers all, and NFL players work a lot harder and are subject to injury at any moment while performing.
All of them make way too much but we are happy to pay them at the ticket office, turnstyle and with the products we buy that the NFL advertises and endorses.

Tical21

Reaction score
Since 1999, only one qb has won a super bowl while being one of the 5 highest paid quarterbacks. Zero have cost over 13.5% of team's cap. Just because everyone else is driving off a bridge, doesn't mean you have to.

Of course you have to pay your franchise quarterback. Of course you do. But, maybe

Mad Dog

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3k6w9ajj said:
Nope...we drafted a Wilson before, we can do it again. It's not like we just lucked our way into a Super Bowl win.

Priority 1 = Have the best defense in the league
Priority 2 = Have a good running game
Priority 3 = Have a good QB

Clearly someone that hasn't either followed the Seahawks since inception or the Dolphins since Marino or the Jets since Namath.

Saying it's easy to draft a franchise QB goes against the entire history of the league where teams go decades between good QB's very frequently.

I want Wilson here until it's clear he can no longer get it done. Then i'll be sad since I'm not sure we will ever see a franchise QB in my lifetime.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The ball is in Wilson’s court to decide how much he wants to push for vs. the Tom Brady route of taking a little less to ensure the team can be as competitive as possible to win a Super Bowl. They’re going to sign him regardless.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
mrt144":2gwdbdxy said:
fenderbender123":2gwdbdxy said:
They stopped promoting competition. That's part of why the players we drafted in those drafts didn't pan out...they didn't try as hard. They also didn't even draft a QB to compete with Wilson...they were just looking for a backup.

I don't know.

How do you compete as a rookie against arguably the best players at the position in the NFL? Are the odds good that a 4th round safety or corner or MLB would supplant either ET or Sherman or Wagner and thus worth using that pick on? Part of the entire point of landing those whales is so you can throw draft capital around to places that sorely need it. In theory at least. The Hawks are an interesting case on defense of being so top heavy that it would be easy to mistake starters not getting supplanted as competition being lacking but...

Is your argument about a lack of competition aimed at the 'not best in the NFL players' on the team? Perhaps that dovetails with simply not drafting well enough for those positions like OL so that no matter how many tossed their hats in the ring, it was deficient in outcome. I would be surprised if the positions we turned over the most season to season weren't also our worst position groups. OL, WR, RB, CB opposite Sherman, DT.

What is the point of churn and turning over the roster every 3 seasons if not trying to find your best fits? Sometimes how bad you want something isn't going to overcome HOF talent making HOF money.

I don't know...

I feel like in 2013, we had a roster that was built because Pete and Jon were like "I don't care who was on this team before we are going to rebuild it and make a bunch of people compete and then start the best players"....and it worked. But then everyone started wanting big contracts. And the Seahawks started giving them out. And then year after year after year we slowly got worse. Factually.

Go back to the mentality that built the 2013 team and draft accordingly and then more importantly coach the team accordingly. That's what I want.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Tical21":o1cg06iu said:
Since 1999, only one qb has won a super bowl while being one of the 5 highest paid quarterbacks. Zero have cost over 13.5% of team's cap. Just because everyone else is driving off a bridge, doesn't mean you have to.

Of course you have to pay your franchise quarterback. Of course you do. But, maybe

Fascinating.

I mean, I would have figured that Manning, Brees, Rodgers, and maybe Brady would be on the list.

Who’s the one ?

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson's Baseball rights are now with the Yankees, bigger Market for him to leverage his outside football interests, it's business for him as well as football. This could get more interesting then we realize when it gets closer. were talking 33 million now, he has another year correct, Rodgers is getting I think I posted 176 million thru 2023, Wilson may ask for 200 million for about the same length when it comes time.

Tical21

Reaction score
rjdriver":10e1ykw3 said:
Tical21":10e1ykw3 said:

Fascinating.

I mean, I would have figured that Manning, Brees, Rodgers, and maybe Brady would be on the list.

Who’s the one ?
Manning with the Colts. The asterisk being, they probably had the worst roster to win a SB in 20 years, because of his contract. Typically, guys win a Super Bowl on their first or lesser contract, get paid, and then the roster suffers for several years and they don't win it again. Then, there is a bit of a second window at the end of their contract as the cap increases around it. Then they get paid again and......

hawknation2018

Reaction score
rjdriver":186692rc said:
Tical21":186692rc said:

Fascinating.

Who’s the one ?

Eli Manning definitely was among the Top 5 highest paid when he won his 2nd Super Bowl with the Giants.

Tical21

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1pdu1zvc said:
rjdriver":1pdu1zvc said:
Tical21":1pdu1zvc said:

Fascinating.

Who’s the one ?

Eli Manning definitely was among the Top 5 highest paid when he won his 2nd Super Bowl with the Giants.
No, he wasn't. He got a big raise directly after. He made 9 million in the 2011 season, 11.2 in 2012.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hell no. No QB is worth that much money under current CBA rules. It hamstrings the rest of the team, and while a QB is vital to the success of a team, having that much of your salary cap tied into one player really affects the ability of a team to build around the QB. Especially under Pete Carroll, whom neglects his star QB on a regular basis.

Fade

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1v8w77xt said:
Hell no. No QB is worth that much money under current CBA rules. It hamstrings the rest of the team, and while a QB is vital to the success of a team, having that much of your salary cap tied into one player really affects the ability of a team to build around the QB. Especially under Pete Carroll, whom neglects his star QB on a regular basis.

What are they going to do with that cap space?

Sign guys like Luke Joeckel, Carry Williams, J'Marcus Webb, Eddy Lacey, Ed Dickson, Trading for Percy Harvin and giving him a monster contract etc... That is what hamstring's a team. Repeated bad Free Agency signings.

The Seahawks would be in the toilet if it wasn't for Russell Wilson. I'd rather he get the money, than blow the money on a bunch of bums that Carroll has a boner for.

Then after the fact having to sit around and wait with my fingers crossed it doesn't take the Seahawks another 40 years to find another Franchise QB.

You pay.

Build a young & hungry defense through the draft.

Add a couple of vets on shrewd deals.

= Championship.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Ideologically I do not believe any professional athlete, politician, or entertainer is actually worth that much but the market dictates the going price and according to the current NFL QB market the answer is easily a yes.

xray

Reaction score
The Hawks will probably pay Wilson but keep in mind that "scrambling" QBS always get severe injuries that usually hinders
their carreers in the long run.....he will always be 5'10 and never a good pocket passer.because he simply can't see from
that vantage point...he has to drop back scramble constantly and eat sacks because he refuses to throw the ball away.
All these teams paying this stupid $$ to just one player do so at the expense of the rest of the team.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
TreeRon":2z3j5vkh said:
Is Tom Cruise worth whatever he makes every year, Liam Neeson, Idris Elba, and so on. Entertainers all, and NFL players work a lot harder and are subject to injury at any moment while performing.
All of them make way too much but we are happy to pay them at the ticket office, turnstyle and with the products we buy that the NFL advertises and endorses.

Do those movies have salary caps and have to hire 2nd rate actors to fill in when they use it? Nope....therefore no comparison. It's more than just Pauls money, the overpaying degrades the quality of the rest of the team.