Is Wilson a Hall of Fame QB?

Palmegranite

Reaction score
QWERTY's point seemed obvious to me, all hyperbole aside.

If Sherman's forgettable play with the 49ers, and Earl Thomas' Baltimore embarrassment don't torpedo their HOF chances, how can one argue the same point about RW?

More likely that we'll see Russ take a job on TV after he retires from the game.

Maybe he and Sherm can team up for a broadcast...ha ha.

Aircrew

Reaction score
Why would you not want the best QB in franchise history to go into the Hall as a Seahawk?

This is a fun debate, but I don't get the hate. Players move on, shit happens. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be appreciative of what they did for us and look forward to bringing them back into the Hawk family once they retire and time heals some of the feelings we might have had when they left.

It was a magical time in 2012-2014. We shouldn't forget who helped us get our first SB.
It's a good question and one that even I have asked myself, here's why I feel the way I do about Russell Wilson: Despite all of RW's contributions to the Seattle Seahawks, which are significant, he finally revealed himself to be a dishonest, contrived, disingenuous, despicable, self-centered narcissist who subverted the head coach/general manager/team for his own personal ambitions and goals. That's the antithesis of a good teammate, leader and/or person. Every step of the way, when RW made mistakes, he and "Team 3" would run interference to control the narrative and shirk responsibility for his problems on the field. There's a term for someone like that in an organization, and it's called a cancer. RW is not a man, he's not a leader and IMO he's not deserving of being a Hall of Famer. And if it were up to me, he'd never be inducted into the Ring of Honor.

GemCity

Reaction score
He’ll get in. He has too many accolades to not make it.

This doesn’t mean I think he deserves it.

A bigger question for me is how will these next few years affect his “legacy”. If he continues to lay turds, can you really induct a guy like that??

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
It's a good question and one that even I have asked myself, here's why I feel the way I do about Russell Wilson: Despite all of RW's contributions to the Seattle Seahawks, which are significant, he finally revealed himself to be a dishonest, contrived, disingenuous, despicable, self-centered narcissist who subverted the head coach/general manager/team for his own personal ambitions and goals. That's the antithesis of a good teammate, leader and/or person. Every step of the way, when RW made mistakes, he and "Team 3" would run interference to control the narrative and shirk responsibility for his problems on the field. There's a term for someone like that in an organization, and it's called a cancer. RW is not a man, he's not a leader and IMO he's not deserving of being a Hall of Famer. And if it were up to me, he'd never be inducted into the Ring of Honor.
100%

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
He’ll get in. He has too many accolades to not make it.

A bigger question for me is how will these next few years affect his “legacy”. If he continues to lay turds, can you really induct a guy like that??
What are his accolades outside of pro bowls of which, he only got in because other QBs dropped out?

Torc

Reaction score
QWERTY's point seemed obvious to me, all hyperbole aside.

If Sherman's forgettable play with the 49ers, and Earl Thomas' Baltimore embarrassment don't torpedo their HOF chances, how can one argue the same point about RW?
Sherm and ET both left the Seahawks after having major injuries, and they never got back to preinjury form. Unless you want to argue that Russ's finger is a similar degree of injury, this logic doesn't work.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
No, not his finger. But when a QB falls off from previous seasons, it can have an oversized impact. (see Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Ben R.)

keasley45

Reaction score
No, not his finger. But when a QB falls off from previous seasons, it can have an oversized impact. (see Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Ben R.)
None of them fell off because they don't know how to play the position at a high level.

Russel doesn't. He just overcame that fact with talent and grit.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
What's Matt Ryans excuse then? No grit? Aaron Rodgers suddenly doesn't know how to play at a high level? Let's make it retroactive, when he played at a low level and lost to the Seahawks in the NFCCG

Ha ha.

I've watched pretty well every snap of every game RW played with the Seahawks. The eye test says he played his guts out at an elevated level. Your revisionist posts won't change that fact, my fellow Seahawk fan.

I also remember every time he got his bell rung, and continued back out onto the field.
You do know that he played at Cal Ripken Iron-man level during every one of his Seahawk seasons save the last one right?
Football is a brutal sport and can take it's toll in many ways.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
What's Matt Ryans excuse then? No grit? Aaron Rodgers suddenly doesn't know how to play at a high level? Let's make it retroactive, when he played at a low level and lost to the Seahawks in the NFCCG

Ha ha.

I've watched pretty well every snap of every game RW played with the Seahawks.
Dude, you're making me question whether or not you actually watched that NFCCG. The story of that game was the debacle of a game Russ played. Aaron Rodgers' poor play was not the story of that game.

James in PA

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards "no," but I'd like to see what John63 says about it first.

Torc

Reaction score
Dude, you're making me question whether or not you actually watched that NFCCG. The story of that game was the debacle of a game Russ played. Aaron Rodgers' poor play was not the story of that game.
You can't put the blame for that on Russ. Three of his passes bounced off Kearse's hands and into defenders hands.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
You can't put the blame for that on Russ. Three of his passes bounced off Kearse's hands and into defenders hands.
OK, fair point. But is it fair or accurate to characterize Rodgers in that game as playing "at a low level"?

QWERTY

Reaction score
Sherm and ET both left the Seahawks after having major injuries, and they never got back to preinjury form. Unless you want to argue that Russ's finger is a similar degree of injury, this logic doesn't work.
So who's fault is that? Is it the injury's fault that they didn't get back to preinjury form?

They could had sit a season, and go back. But no, ET choose to sign with a team during FA and he failed badly with the Ravens.

I'm a stats type of person, and both ET and Sherman benefited from PC. If they had gone to different teams, they wouldn't have made it.

keasley45

Reaction score
That's simply not true. 1st one was a bad throw high and inside with a defender draped all over Kearse.

2nd one was a toss into double coverage. Not tipped, where the defender caught the ball because he was the one with position.

3rd one was a toss up to the endzone with the defender in position to make the play, not Kearse. And not tipped.

And the 4th one can arguably be put on Kearse for not making the grab.

3 of the 4 should not have been thrown.

Russ practically gave that game away were it not for our run game, defense and special teams. He wasn't by any stretch the victim of a wrs poor play.

RiverDog

Reaction score
He’ll get in (to the HOF). He has too many accolades to not make it.

I felt that he was borderline HOF before the trade. The Hall loves numbers, especially for quarterbacks, and in the absence of an MVP or SB MVP Russell's numbers aren't good enough to assure a first ballot entry. Plus he was playing in southern Alaska for the Seahawks, not the Cowboys and America's Team. IMO he needed one of those awards, or at least get his new team to a SB, for him to lock down a gold jacket.

But whatever chance he had prior to the trade, he's damaging it big time now. If he continues on his current trajectory, he won't have a snowball's chance in hell of making it.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I must have remembered that particular game wrong. You are right. We lost that game and it was Aaron Rodgers that mounted that 4th quarter comeback and overtime win. One of the more memerable games for Aaron; I'm sure he keeps the winning ball on his bedside table.
And wasn't Mike McCarthy seen riding a bicycle around the stadium?

Fans like me and my fickle memory eh..

...SMH..

BASF

Reaction score
It is actually interesting thinking the numbers will get him in. A lot of his misgivings and his marks about the Seahawks offense was that it did not produce enough stats for Wilson and his legacy. Looking just at the numbers, Dak Prescott will have better numbers than Wilson after he plays for ten seasons. Do any of you consider Prescott, who has received MVP votes in his career, worthy of the hall of fame?

Last edited: