Is Tyree Wilson the best edge in the draft?

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Chris Simms believes Wilson is the clear #1 Edge rusher in this year's draft. And by a mile. Not saying I agree or not. Just posting the content.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I may be one of the few here that thinks Tyree Wilson will not be a top player in this league.

Watching the film on Wilson shows he does not have the first step explosion and quickness that is lethal in pass rushing.

He looks a little too slow for me.

I just don’t think he will live up to his high draft position.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
all these guys saying "tyree wilson doesn't have great get off"... well neither does will anderson jr. will anderson would make a great 3-4 OLB but his pass rush isn't elite. 1.62 10 yard split is solid but unspectacular. guys like nolan smith, mcdonald iv, derrick hall, byron young (ten) all have that initial burst you're looking for in a speedrusher. no, tyree wilson isn't that. he doesn't rely on a great get off and still trashes double teams. would be a madman vs the run for us. he played 4i in college so he could play 3-4 DE after he bulks to about 280-285lbs.

if cardinals trade out of #3, we should have our choice of carter, anderson, wilson or kancey with our first pick. tantalizing.

Chevy

Reaction score
For me its Will McDonald. All the other projected 1st round pass rushers are a tier or two below him for different reasons.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
For me its Will McDonald. All the other projected 1st round pass rushers are a tier or two below him for different reasons.
if he's still on the board at #20 i'm down. mcdonald iv and ade ade are my preferred picks at #20

Chevy

Reaction score
if he's still on the board at #20 i'm down. mcdonald iv and ade ade are my preferred picks at #20
Who would be your top remaining prospects for the Seahawks at #5 if Stroud and CJ young are off the board?

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Who would be your top remaining prospects for the Seahawks at #5 if Stroud and CJ young are off the board?
well i'm going to assume AR15 and levis are also off the board at 3 and 4. the remaining:

1) carter (probably off seahawks board) :cry:

2) anderson jr - an alpha in the locker room. high floor, but not the highest ceiling. not a superior pass rusher w/ mediocre get off, will have to develop more power and a repertoire to get pressures. but a good run defender and a good potentially great 3-4 OLB that can set the edge and get in the backfield.

3) wilson - a monster that splits double teams. massive wingspan, relentless power. more of a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 DE but he had exp. at 4i in TT's 3-3-5 scheme. should kick inside on passing downs

4) kancey - a pressure machine. had a 92.4 pff grade in passrushing. he's a freak at 281 lbs running a 1.64 split. scouts have said he had the best handfighting for an interior DL in college, short-arms be damned. he and dre'mont jones would go crazy on passing downs. maybe not a greatest fit if we stay with the 3-4 but you can't ignore his impact on the DL.

5) witherspoon - i really like witherspoon, he's a tough, lockdown CB that can play man/zone, but we don't need a CB as desperately as we need front 7 help. also i don't ever see pete caroll drafting a CB this high

6) skoronski - i think he's a probowl LG/RG, he would become our best guard since hutchison (a HoFer)

what about yours?

Chevy

Reaction score
well i'm going to assume AR15 and levis are also off the board at 3 and 4. the remaining:

2) anderson jr - an alpha in the locker room. high floor, but not the highest ceiling. not a superior pass rusher w/ mediocre get off, will have to develop more power and a repertoire to get pressures. but a good run defender and a good potentially great 3-4 OLB that can set the edge and get in the backfield.

3) wilson - a monster that splits double teams. massive wingspan, relentless power. more of a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 DE but he had exp. at 4i in TT's 3-3-5 scheme. should kick inside on passing downs

4) kancey - a pressure machine. had a 92.4 pff grade in passrushing. he's a freak at 281 lbs running a 1.64 split. scouts have said he had the best handfighting for an interior DL in college, short-arms be damned. he and dre'mont jones would go crazy on passing downs. maybe not a greatest fit if we stay with the 3-4 but you can't ignore his impact on the DL.

5) witherspoon - i really like witherspoon, he's a tough, lockdown CB that can play man/zone, but we don't need a CB as desperately as we need front 7 help. also i don't ever see pete caroll drafting a CB this high

6) skoronski - i think he's a probowl LG/RG, he would become our best guard since hutchison (a HoFer)

what about yours?
I really like your thoughtful reasoning about the prosects you picked. Okay lets assume the QBs are off the board or the one that falls to them they don't like in top-10.

1) Will McDonald - No surprise. I won't shut up about him.

2) Trade down, but still inside top-10.

2) Tyree Wilson - I hesitate to make him my #2 pick because we don't know his testing numbers, which would either verify or not verify how we perceive him as a pass rushing defensive lineman.

3) (CB) Christian Gonzales - I am higher on him probably than most. He has the size, athletic ability, and production to be a top-10 pick. Would Pete and John take a CB this high, prior history says no.

4/4A) Skoronski or Darnell Wright to play RG would be good but worst case scenario options if we selected one of them in the top-10. We need game changers in this years top-10, not so much meat and potatoes type of players.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
I really like your thoughtful reasoning about the prosects you picked. Okay lets assume the QBs are off the board or the one that falls to them they don't like in top-10.

1) Will McDonald - No surprise. I won't shut up about him.

2) Trade down, but still inside top-10.

2) Tyree Wilson - I hesitate to make him my #2 pick because we don't know his testing numbers, which would either verify or not verify how we perceive him as a pass rushing defensive lineman.

3) (CB) Christian Gonzales - I am higher on him probably than most. He has the size, athletic ability, and production to be a top-10 pick. Would Pete and John take a CB this high, prior history says no.

4/4A) Skoronski or Darnell Wright to play RG would be good but worst case scenario options if we selected one of them in the top-10. We need game changers in this years top-10, not so much meat and potatoes type of players.
that's fair. you are prioritizing mcdonald's passrush ability, which might be the best in the draft right now, so i get it. his combination of elite get off, arm length (35") and natural bend make him who he is. he destroyed darnell wright in 1v1's at the senior bowl. my only worry with him is his size (played at ~235lbs in college) vs NFL lineman and his age (24). other than that, nothing bad to say about him. great chance he goes sooner than most think. the draft simulators seem to have him between 25-50. in no scenario do i see him lasting to the 2nd round. GMs would need to be fired.

i can see gonzalez being a CB that pete would love because he's a prototype zone CB. but yeah just not at #5

CactusJack

Reaction score
he looks like a longer Collier.
This dude seriously looks like Collier to you?

I've watched as much film on him as I could find. He looks like a legit 1st Round talent. The guy pops off the screen when you watch him. He's a nightmare matchup for Tackles due to his length. His wingspan is so freaky. In a good way. I honestly don't see a scenario where he doesn't get taken in the first 10-15 picks.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score

I've watched as much film on him as I could find. He looks like a legit 1st Round talent. The guy pops off the screen when you watch him. He's a nightmare matchup for Tackles due to his length. His wingspan is so freaky. In a good way. I honestly don't see a scenario where he doesn't get taken in the first seven or eights picks.

I watched this, and his lack of moves is pretty glaring, even for an untrained eye like mine. Could be coached up I'm sure, but using our 5th pick? That needs to be someone with generational talent. Not seeing it with Wilson.

Smellyman

Reaction score

I've watched as much film on him as I could find. He looks like a legit 1st Round talent. The guy pops off the screen when you watch him. He's a nightmare matchup for Tackles due to his length. His wingspan is so freaky. In a good way. I honestly don't see a scenario where he doesn't get taken in the first seven or eights picks.

Yes, not a great fast edge guy, not a big inside guy. Not many moves or quickness. That was a Collier. A tweener who isn't great at either. He is longer than Collier, but I watch him and see no wow factor. If you are a tweener you better have extreme quickness like Michael Bennett, which Pete and John were hoping for

even played in the same conference. He will be better than Collier and it will be at the "ok" level, but not a big difference maker. He may even be more like Rasheem Green

only time will tell. I am no expert

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score

what about yours?
This is a good list. I've been a little low on Skoronski but for no real reason. I could see the reasoning behind someone like him. Kancey is someone I want on Seattle.

CanHawksFan

Reaction score
I watched this, and his lack of moves is pretty glaring, even for an untrained eye like mine. Could be coached up I'm sure, but using our 5th pick? That needs to be someone with generational talent. Not seeing it with Wilson.
This is definitely the knock on him that I've heard. He's got all the talent in the world, and his physical traits are top notch, but he's very rudimentary in the skills department right now. He'll really have to be coached up to counter NFL linemen. He could get there, for sure, but it's definitely a risk taking a guy who's on the raw side at #5.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Okay, so who in your mind are those prospects at #5 and #20?
At #5 if no trade down-
Bijan Robinson or Peter Skoronski and I wouldn't even hesitate.
Robinson is widely considered the second highest ranked player behind Anderson in the draft. He is a generational RB with crazy skills not often seen who can also line up as a WR. Many comparisons have been made but I see him as a Marshawn Lynch/Marshall Faulk cyborg. It would give us the best RB tandem in the league & KW3 Will only be under contract for 3 more years, we would have Bijan for 5 years. Run to open up the passing game to help Geno. A great running game is the best defense you can have, 3rd & short, conversions, TOP.
Skoronski is rated as around the 9th highest player in the draft, not splitting hairs here, I'd easily take him at #5. He can play every O-Line position including both tackles and center but probably fits best at LG, will likely be a pro bowler/all pro, what a huge talent to infuse into this young & improving offensive line. I would see taking Skoronski at #5 like taking Hutch vs. Bruce Irvin.

I see these two as our best choices at #5 if there are no trade down offers. Even after a trade down I'd still be after one of these two as our first pick, this is about maximum impact, performance, field tilting play.
We have positional needs & all are important, DT, DE, LB, Center, RB, WR. If we eliminate RB or IOL with our first pick it will simplify our selection process the rest of the way... #20, #37, #52. Reaching for a one-trick pony DE who might get us 10 sacks is crazy IMHO.
I strongly think taking this route will give us a much stronger draft haul top to bottom, minus Anderson falling to #5, I think the 9ers would hate either the Bijan or Skoronski pick more than any other possible choices. Please save the "positional value" BS.
#20, nose tackle/run stuffing DT. Mazi Smith or comparable. Carter not on my board.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Okay, that's fair.

Last edited:

hoxrox

Reaction score

Impressive reach. But lacks leverage, quickness and explosiveness. Guys of that size and stature make me a bit nervous. Reminds me a bit like Clowney, who was injury prone in the NFL. Later in the round maybe, but not at 5. Don't see him as a Day 1 starter. Would need to be coached up a lot.

Chevy

Reaction score
that's fair. you are prioritizing mcdonald's passrush ability, which might be the best in the draft right now, so i get it. his combination of elite get off, arm length (35") and natural bend make him who he is. he destroyed darnell wright in 1v1's at the senior bowl. my only worry with him is his size (played at ~235lbs in college) vs NFL lineman and his age (24). other than that, nothi

At #5 if no trade down-
Bijan Robinson or Peter Skoronski and I wouldn't even hesitate.
Robinson is widely considered the second highest ranked player behind Anderson in the draft. He is a generational RB with crazy skills not often seen who can also line up as a WR. Many comparisons have been made but I see him as a Marshawn Lynch/Marshall Faulk cyborg. It would give us the best RB tandem in the league & KW3 Will only be under contract for 3 more years, we would have Bijan for 5 years. Run to open up the passing game to help Geno. A great running game is the best defense you can have, 3rd & short, conversions, TOP.
Skoronski is rated as around the 9th highest player in the draft, not splitting hairs here, I'd easily take him at #5. He can play every O-Line position including both tackles and center but probably fits best at LG, will likely be a pro bowler/all pro, what a huge talent to infuse into this young & improving offensive line. I would see taking Skoronski at #5 like taking Hutch vs. Bruce Irvin.

I see these two as our best choices at #5 if there are no trade down offers. Even after a trade down I'd still be after one of these two as our first pick, this is about maximum impact, performance, field tilting play.
We have positional needs & all are important, DT, DE, LB, Center, RB, WR. If we eliminate RB or IOL with our first pick it will simplify our selection process the rest of the way... #20, #37, #52. Reaching for a one-trick pony DE who might get us 10 sacks is crazy IMHO.
I strongly think taking this route will give us a much stronger draft haul top to bottom, minus Anderson falling to #5, I think the 9ers would hate either the Bijan or Skoronski pick more than any other possible choices. Please save the "positional value" BS.
#20, nose tackle/run stuffing DT. Mazi Smith or comparable. Carter not on my board.
Like you said, Bijan is a generational talent at RB. If he gets drafted top-10 I won't be surprised. I'm sure there are some scouts and GMs that don't live and die by the "positional value".