The best WR in the draft...

Chevy

Reaction score
The WR rankings are a bit all over the place. This is not a great draft for WRs, but IMO there is at least one bonafide 1st round WR and that is North Carolina WR Josh Downs. Downs has a great 10-yard split of 1.49 seconds (acceleration), which shows on tape. He posted explosive testing numbers at the NFL combine, which shows up on in his game play. He can change his speed tempo along with subtle movements to get separation from CBs. Downs has great hands, only a 3.1% drop rate (best hands in the draft), which looks to be the lowest drop rate of the WRs in this draft. Downs also has good body control to catch inaccurate thrown balls. He is one of the best route runner in the draft along with one of the most explosive. He would be a day-1 starter in the slot for the Seahawks and would give us the best WR core in the NFL.

He should be one of the Seahawks targets at #20 of the 1st round.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Why do you only see him as a 2nd round prospect?

What WRs do you have ranked ahead of him and for what reason?
I like him & I think he'll be one of the better WR's in this class. But I don't see him having as high a ceiling as a few other guys that we've already discussed.

He does remind you a little of golden when you watch him. It's kind of uncanny actually.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
I like him & I think he'll be one of the better WR's in this class. But I don't see him having as high a ceiling as a few other guys that we've already discussed.
I've lead the draft discussion the last 6 months or so. So remind me who are the better WRs?

CactusJack

Reaction score
I've lead the draft discussion the last 6 months or so. So remind me who are the better WRs?
Are you serious? We just had a discussion about it last night lol.

I would take JSN & Flowers in Round 1.

Last edited:

AgentDib

Reaction score
Zay Flowers vs. Josh Downs is hotly debated and I'm interested to see who ends up with the better NFL career.

Josh Downs film
Josh Downs cut-ups vs. Florida A&M 2022
North Carolina offense vs. Pitt defense 2022
North Carolina offense vs. Notre Dame defense 2022

Zay Flowers film
Flowers cut-ups vs. Louisville 2022
Flowers cut-ups vs. Wake Forest 2022
Offense vs. Clemson 2022

Downs and Flowers have similar builds as smaller guys (5'9") with short arms, small hands and low weight. Downs is a bit concerning at only 171lbs which is well into that "I hope he doesn't break" category each time he gets hit. Flowers is 10lbs bulkier but also a year older. They've both played three years in college so the age isn't important to me. Flowers has better top end speed, Downs has better agility and instincts.

Downs was the better player in 2022. He operated nearly entirely out of the slot, was able to create separation with great route running, and had very good hands with only three drops on the year. He was weirdly good on contested catches but I'm skeptical how well that will translate against NFL corners. The main drawback would be little YAC or dynamism in the open field and minimal threat to break tackles. He's also a weak run blocker as you'd expect.

Flowers played 2/3 of his snaps on the outside despite his size due to his physicality and reminds me in that way of Doug Baldwin once we moved him to flanker. He is a bit more dynamic in space than Downs, but not as much as I've seen a lot of sites suggest. He's a better run blocker than Downs but still not great. He had a really bad case of drops last season but many of them were that correctable mental issue of starting to go for YAC before he had properly secured the ball.

Both probably need to get up to 190lbs and I imagine that's feasible for both, but that's an important question for teams to answer. My guess is that the Seahawks would prefer the home-run threat that Flowers provides with open field running ability over the reliable chain-moving ball skills that Downs brings.

Honorable mention should also go to Tyler Scott from Cincinnati, who profiles very similarly to Flowers and could be a great value if he goes later on in the third round like many mocks are projecting right now. Scott is my small slot WR pick if we're considering value.

James in PA

Reaction score
Don't sleep on Jalin Hyatt. I mentioned him in another thread. That kid can fly.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Don't sleep on Jalin Hyatt. I mentioned him in another thread. That kid can fly.
What did he run at the combine (4.4's)? I thought his results we're a little underwhelming tbh.

His speed will certainly stretch the field. But I'm not necessarily in love with him as a prospect.

olyfan63

Reaction score

He does remind you a little of golden when you watch him. It's kind of uncanny actually.
NFL.com draft profile re: Tate: "He is almost built more like a running back than a wide receiver but will fit some systems as a second or third receiver."

Golden Tate performed like a running back after the catch in the NFL. No idea how, but he was uncanny at running through tackles, making guys miss. Deebo Samuel is the only WR I've seen with better RB-after-catch skills than Tate. All these college guys, especially Downs, seem a bit light in the pockets compared to Tate.

Does Downs, or any other WR in this draft, break tackles like Tate or was it other aspects of Downs' game that reminded you of Tate? (Vertical high pointing of ball, strong hands to rip ball away from defenders on contested catches, etc.)

I noticed JSN's RAC performance seemed to improve over the course of the year, but nothing like Tate's RB-like RAC. (Tate was remarkable that way)

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
IMO not good value drafting any of the WRs that are commonly mentioned. I would consider 1 in the 3rd rd. One I do like is Jonathon Mingo Ole Miss has good size 6’ft 1 “ 225 lbs and production 861 yard and 5 TDs in 2022.

toffee

Reaction score
Wow, Michael Wilson is getting love from the media?? He has been on my mocks for awhile, always thought that he was under the radar.

Hawknballs

Reaction score

I'm all in on us taking Hyatt and his QB from Ten. Hooker in round 2. They had good chemistry together coming from an offense where that relationship was a big part of the option routes the receivers ran. In a few seasons they could be quite the duo.

samwize77

Reaction score
I'm all in on us taking Hyatt and his QB from Ten. Hooker in round 2. They had good chemistry together coming from an offense where that relationship was a big part of the option routes the receivers ran. In a few seasons they could be quite the duo.
Like Chase and Burrow?

toffee

Reaction score
In a few years, that would be Hooker, Hyatt, and DK. Lockett would have been retired by then?