Is This Real?

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Great thread, thank you for all that have added to it. It's ultimately not about how long you have been a diehard fan of the Seahawks, it's about the spirit of 12's that no other fanbase can touch, that you can be a proud part of, no matter when you came aboard. Sure, every fanbase has their diehards who deserve respect for their loyalty, but man, there's simply something special about being a 12, and even the nation senses it.

To the Seahawks credit, they knew they had something special early on, and they have always made the 12's feel very much a part of any successes they have had. The only team to ever retire the #12 jersey? Awesome. The symbiotic relationship between the 12's and the Seahawks is simply unparalleled in the NFL. Now with our recent dominant success, the rest of the NFL has to admit as much.

There's an old saying:

You don't get to choose your parents nor your family. But you get to choose your friends and mate, so choose wisely.

I couldn't have chosen a better team, a better fanbase to be a part of for my entire life than this one.

Cheers!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
It is very strange watching all the other games and just knowing the Seahawks are better than any of the teams playing.

And not because I am being a homer.

Knowing they could legitimately kick the crap out of any of the teams playing today. Knowing the Seahawks are tougher on Offense, Defense, and Special Teams than any other team playing today.

It really is a weird feeling.

hawkstrap

Reaction score
Great thread, Aros.

Honestly, I am having a hell of a time adjusting to not being the underdog/spoiler.

It is weird expecting to win instead of hoping.

It is weird seeing Hawk regalia in grocery stores, on passing cars and heck, even in the media.

But, I will take it over the alternative. It is a blessed time to be a fan. The games, the personalities, the team are so much fun to watch you can't help but share in the happiness.

An important part of life is being able to appreciate things, the joys, the ups, the good times, right when they are happening.

This is our time. We are the 12th man. And we are the best team in football.

Fart

Phteven

Reaction score
In the spirit of old school fandom, here's my "proof." :) I got up early on a Saturday to go and meet Steve Largent at a meet and greet in what must have been 84 or 85. My family moved to Seattle from Texas in 1983, when I was 12. I was a casual football fan, watching it on Sunday's with my dad. But the Seahawks became my team.

file.php

Over the decades, Seattle teams have been the quintessential underachievers. All kinds of potential, but never quite getting it done in the playoffs. Those who think we're all bandwagon fans just don't know how it was back in the 80s. They don't remember the rivalries with the Raiders and Broncos back in the 80s. And they don't know how loud it was in the Kingdome, or even at Husky Stadium in the two years they played there.

While it's been a little hard to get used to, it sure doesn't suck.

hawkstrap

Reaction score
Love it. That poster in the background was as close to fine art my house featured.

Seahawk772002

Reaction score
What makes this real and special is 12's at stadium in New Jersey and I want to believe through the TV or radio did impact the game.

Know that sounds over the top and when it was happening did not see it like I can now.

12 is not a fanbase it is a special bond that I did not sense immediately when Mike McCormick made recommendation to retire number 12, but knew it was real when Qwest now Century Link opened.

Always thought I would have an original (now called throw back) jersey number 80 to be worn on special occasions, but now realize it will be personalized with 12 feathers like the ones worn Feb 2, 2014.

hoxrox

Reaction score
If you listened to the post game pressers after the Green Bay game, you'll hear a reporter with maybe a Latin American accent ask questions about this team being "legendary." Not sure what paper or news outlet this reporter was writing for, but it definitely sounded like it was somewhere International.

That's how far this team has come.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Like my sister-in-law said the other night, when Aaron Rodgers was interviewed post game, when the reporters asked about the game's outcome, he said "Well it is the Seattle Seahawks after all" or something to that effect.

Wow. We have arrived.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Fans act as advocates for their team. We happily wear marketing material, downplay weaknesses, and generally behave like we are trying to sell team fandom to some imaginary third party. And yet, a minority of fans get upset when new people are convinced to be Hawk fans because they think it will reflect on them somehow, as if being a Hawk fan for longer means that you have more interesting opinions. New fans are not only a symptom of success but also one of the benefits.

Phteven

Reaction score
AgentDib":36aw5idv said:
Fans act as advocates for their team. We happily wear marketing material, downplay weaknesses, and generally behave like we are trying to sell team fandom to some imaginary third party. And yet, a minority of fans get upset when new people are convinced to be Hawk fans because they think it will reflect on them somehow, as if being a Hawk fan for longer means that you have more interesting opinions. New fans are not only a symptom of success but also one of the benefits.
I love bandwagon fans. New fans today are part of the faithful 10 years from now. A few will drop off, but many have fallen in love with a team we've all loved for decades.

Anyone remember those commercials with Dave Krieg where he trots onto the field and says to Chuck Knox something like, "They sent me out here to play for you guys." It was so cheesy and awesome. And the ads in 1983 that talked about having the toughest schedule in the NFL. I was on board then, but I really fell in love when we went to our first home game against John Elway and the Broncos.

I was a bandwagon fan at that time, caught up in the excitement of Ground Chuck, but I've been a Hawks fan ever since.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I'm in Vegas right now and was sportin' a Super Bowl XLVIII t-shirt last night and I must've received in the neighborhood of 20 "Go Hawks!", "Woo hoo Seattle!", "Champs!" etc. comments and plenty of high fives and fist bumps.

I also walked past maybe 8 or 10 Donkey fans all wearing Pey Pey jerseys passing me in the opposite direction that were just leaving a sports book after watching Denver outlast Indy and to a person, man and woman they averted their eyes when they saw me. We are simultaneously feared, respected and hated and it's freakin' AWESOME!

A

Anonymous

hawksfansinceday1":3ms15ze5 said:
I'm in Vegas right now and was sportin' a Super Bowl XLVIII t-shirt last night and I must've received in the neighborhood of 20 "Go Hawks!", "Woo hoo Seattle!", "Champs!" etc. comments and plenty of high fives and fist bumps.

I also walked past maybe 8 or 10 Donkey fans all wearing Pey Pey jerseys passing me in the opposite direction that were just leaving a sports book after watching Denver outlast Indy and to a person, man and woman they averted their eyes when they saw me. We are simultaneously feared, respected and hated and it's freakin' AWESOME!

You are packin', right?

You're bound to run into somebody that lost a few bucks on that bet and hasn't found "closure" yet.

Safety first.

Escamillo

Reaction score
I thought it had totally sunk in as "real" for me months ago. I mean, I have SB paraphernalia, I've watched the replay lots of times, listened to the local/Denver/national radio play-by-play multiple times, read about it, listened to sports radio podcasts about it from around the country, watched the parade, etc. So it's been "real" for me, or so I had thought.

But once I saw that "SB XLVIII World Champions" banner unveiled at the Clink, that's when it FULLY hit me. I was like, "Damn, this really happened … in real life!!" lol

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":v28xy13a said:
hawksfansinceday1":v28xy13a said:

You are packin', right?

You're bound to run into somebody that lost a few bucks on that bet and hasn't found "closure" yet.

Safety first.
LOL Scott. Just makin' sure to stay in public places with lots of cameras.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Aros, Great post and you captured almost exactly how I feel. Being that I am probably a little older than some here I can still remember when we got our brand new little expansion team (along with the Bucs).

Football in my family was always at a forefront. My Uncle played for the the Edmond Warriors and Seattle Ramblers in the 60's. He even had a tryout for the Raiders in the 60's, blasphemous I know :)

I came into this season with a feeling that I have never, ever had before, knowing that we are the very best football team in the league. Not hoping that a few breaks go our way and may sneak into a wildcard position but anything less than one of the best records in football will be a letdown.

If week one is an indicator of anything, we are almost in a league by ourselves, and that feels dang good.

To Hawks fans new and old, enjoy this ride it will be legendary.

Latest posts